ADVERTISEMENT

Rank the Top 5 Rutgers Stadium Food

There was a Coca Cola Truck there this week and plenty of room for 2 more grease trucks.
I will pay attention on Saturday but do not recall seeing anything in the spot I'm talking about.

And I would start with one truck see how that works out.

I had this exact discussion at an event with Hobbs in the spring. He said there were big concession changes coming for the fall and that the upper deck will be the priority. No changes I have seen other than less options over last year and the same closed kisoks.

One thing I did notice this past week was that they actually took away the condiment station from one of the kiosks. They opted to place all condiments in one location at midfield rather than stocking the two open stations independently. You cannot make this stuff up.

UGH. Every time the Rutgers Stadium food account tweets on game day I reply "not on the upper deck".
I do the same in the post game survey we get.

And @kupuna133, the condiment thing happened at the Washington game too.

I've actually never purchased food at the game. We always have way too much great food at our tailgates...both pre and postgame...that I'm never in the mood for sampling the stadium cuisine. From the descriptions in this thread it looks like I made the right move.

Last edited:
I laugh because when we are out at the tailgates, my wife is always monitoring what I eat as she says it is all fatty food and then we get into the game and at some point every game, she comes back down to our seats with an overloaded pile of "loaded" tater tots...
There is NO good food in the stadium, period. But if you get the right person serving the tater tots, they are fun to eat.

We noticed a stand near section 121 or thereabouts that has vanilla ice cream / Apple Pie/Whipped cream and looked great. We are going to try this Sat. The line wasnt too long either. Its adjacent to the regular concession stand.

Seemed like everyone was at the Rita's stands.

Haven't been in the Stadium in a very long time. When there however I recall my Grandson getting a really huge great PRETZEL.If the Pretzels are bad,now,the rest of the food must be too. How hard is it to make a Good Pretzel?Ball games.of any kind,without a Good Pretzel are hard to swallow.

??? They have Dippin Dots behind section 130.

I believe you are mis-understanding what I meant. He provided a ranking of his "best foods" in the stadium. of the 5 items on his list, 4 are not available on the upper level. The only one available on the upper level is the dippin dots.

Haven't been in the Stadium in a very long time. When there however I recall my Grandson getting a really huge great PRETZEL.If the Pretzels are bad,now,the rest of the food must be too. How hard is it to make a Good Pretzel?Ball games.of any kind,without a Good Pretzel are hard to swallow.

They changed the pretzels last year. So much better now. Old ones were the typical rock-hard, flavorless NYC street vendor type pretzels.

They changed the pretzels last year. So much better now. Old ones were the typical rock-hard, flavorless NYC street vendor type pretzels.
Looks like you got the good one then. LOL

Actually for EMU, not bad. But the one at the Washington game was as you described, but worse.

I believe you are mis-understanding what I meant. He provided a ranking of his "best foods" in the stadium. of the 5 items on his list, 4 are not available on the upper level. The only one available on the upper level is the dippin dots.
Ah, got it.

There really is no excuse for the lack of quality food choices in the stadium. Why RU does not try to go for a different model is beyond me. Getting rid of Sodexo and bringing in some local flare to enhance the game day experience is a must.
hot tubs and boats are fine but good food choices will enhance the game day experience ten fold.

Reactions: Leonard23
1. Rita's
2 Water
So far only Rita's ice cream has been good. Dippin Dots are OK. Empenada caused lower track distress. Premio's worst Italian Sausage sandwich ever. Hot dog from behind 127 was room temperature and soda flat.
Where are the Jersey Mike subs?

I saw a Jersey Mikes stand in one of the small nooks next to (right of) the larger main concession areas if you walk left when you walk in the D gate and down a little ways.
I didnt stop but from afar it looked like they only sold 2 different types of subs and they were all pre-made. It did not look like a station where you pick your meat and toppings.

I saw a Jersey Mikes stand in one of the small nooks next to (right of) the larger main concession areas if you walk left when you walk in the D gate and down a little ways.
I didnt stop but from afar it looked like they only sold 2 different types of subs and they were all pre-made. It did not look like a station where you pick your meat and toppings.
I think you are correct in the two types of prepared subs. I understand they have space constraints so maybe that location was not the best for them. I guess the time to make sandwiches from scratch is also a problem. We really do need to figure this out and upgrade the choices.

Minnesota had better food at their stadium last year..... Why can't we??

Michigan has Rutgers grad, Mario Batali creating food for them.

FB_IMG_1505423598681_zpsjot46kg9.jpg

Overall, the food is terrible. Rita's is always good. Pretzels are hit & miss, as they're cold many times, like a lot of other food. Touchdown Tots were fine. PapaJohn's is awful. Jersey Mike's only had 2 of their sub offerings, so that's a poor choice. Mario Batali food at UM & not Rutgers is nauseating & a huge missed opportunity. Our Athletics Dept continues to bungle concessions. Get better quality food & more Rutgers & NJ local food offerings. Have some bolis from Stuff Yer Face, real pizza from 1 of the million pizza places in NJ (just install the wood brick oven already for real neopolitan pizza from Pizza Vita or Lombardi's, which cooks in minutes), multiple fat sandwiches, good cheese steaks, falafel, good tacos & burritos from Tacoria & Surf Taco, crisps (quesadillas) & some wraps from Hansel, more options from Jersey Mike's like the chipotle cheese steak, Rook coffee & more.

Last edited:
After having spent the last two weeks looking for the Jersey Mikes I can help here. It's a few stations to the left of 118. It's easy to miss because it's one of the small "mini-stations" to the right of the full sized ones. I'll warn you though: only 2 sandwich choices (turkey and Italian I think): premade and $10. I love JM and I passed
Thanks, We really like JM but probably will also take a pass. At least the water is drinkable.

Reactions: RUhobbit
all over priced, small portions,ordered a sausage sandwich, it came on a 10 inch roll with a 3 inch piece of luke warm sausage and not enough peppers and onions to cover a matchstick, $9.00
How can they make an Italian sausage sandwich that tastes that bad in NJ

Reactions: cicero grimes
Michigan has Rutgers grad, Mario Batali creating food for them.

FB_IMG_1505423598681_zpsjot46kg9.jpg

Well that's a real slap in the face! We have not yet become Big Ten in our food offerings at the stadium. Need to show our visitors what good NJ food there is!!!

Well that's a real slap in the face! We have not yet become Big Ten in our food offerings at the stadium. Need to show our visitors what good NJ food there is!!!

while Batali is a RU grad his kids go to UMichigan and he has a summer house on the lake in Michigan. I will admit, however, when I saw this sign in the club at UM when we were there 2 years ago I got a little sad.

@Leonard23 RU should take a good, hard look at how tOSU does its food vendors in the stadium. When we were there last year, in the RU seats on the WAY upper deck, they had the following kiosks on the concourse on carts:

fresh made hamburgers
gyros
hot dogs
grilled chicken
tacos
and a few others I cannot remember (and I totally dropped the ball on taking photos of them)

no reason RU can't do the same thing on the lower AND the upper deck.

Id rather win some games on field,worry about fans in stands and have stadium food last on list for upgrades in program.

while Batali is a RU grad his kids go to UMichigan and he has a summer house on the lake in Michigan. I will admit, however, when I saw this sign in the club at UM when we were there 2 years ago I got a little sad.

@Leonard23 RU should take a good, hard look at how tOSU does its food vendors in the stadium. When we were there last year, in the RU seats on the WAY upper deck, they had the following kiosks on the concourse on carts:

fresh made hamburgers
gyros
hot dogs
grilled chicken
tacos
and a few others I cannot remember (and I totally dropped the ball on taking photos of them)

no reason RU can't do the same thing on the lower AND the upper deck.
Even with his kids at UM, he'd likely be willing to do something with his alma mater so we should be reached out years ago.

tOSU is a good example, but I'd take it a step further & look local at CitiField. Now, I know we arent getting Blue Smoke, Shake Shack & the rest, but the idea is the same to get great local food.

Last edited:
Reactions: cicero grimes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT