ADVERTISEMENT

RBS Job fair dress code controversy

And they have to take into account that these are college students here: they don't have the finances to have a professional wardrobe. While in college I owned one navy blue suit, so I guess I would not have been allowed in there either.
I disagree with you here. The school has to do what is best for all the students. One poorly dressed candidate could have a detrimental effect for everyone there. You can buy a suit for $350.

I disagree with you here. The school has to do what is best for all the students. One poorly dressed candidate could have a detrimental effect for everyone there. You can buy a suit for $350.

$350 is a lot of money for a college student. I would hope students would value money (a life lesson) and still buy a decent one on sale for about $200 at someplace like Men's Wearhouse. If I had a college aged son who was interviewing and I offered to buy him a suit, I wouldn't pay anywhere near $350 even if I could afford it, or let him pay that much even if he had money saved up from working. Maybe $300 total including shoes, tie, socks, etc.

Just responding to several things I've seen here:

- not including Navy, or any blue suits, is absurd. My Lord didn't Xerox have a mandate that their sales force ONLY wore "blue suits"?

- most guys where facial hair of some length these days. Very few shave on a daily basis. I highly doubt a team of interviewers, with 3-day stubble, are going to look down on a kid with a nice, neat, 3-5 day stubble.

- haircut? So a kid with long hair can't get a job these days?

- black suits. Does a nice, tailored, uber-pinstripe black suit qualify?

Reactions: NotInRHouse

I think they should set guidelines but since it is a state school and a lot of kids don't have extra money I doubt they can spend $350 for a suit in addition to $40-50 for shoes, another $20-30 for a shirt, and then $10-20 for a tie.

That would run a kid $430-460.

For a fair i would think a blue blazer, black or blue slacks with a shirt and tie would be professional enough for a 22 year old kid with limited finances.

I know people in the professional world that interviewed with business casual companies wearing a black blazer and black slacks to make up a fake black suit with a shirt and tie. If you interview with Google you shouldn't even wear a tie since they see suits and ties as in the box thinking and not creative enough.

UGH - this episode becomes a "teachable moment" but not in a good way - much "bureaucratic ineptitude & poor communication" on display.

If you want to utilize a business appearance 'standard' - then set it up ahead of time - have the students dress in the appropriate manner (and in a way that would match the standard for a career day) once a week - or once every two weeks - or once a month - for formal presentations - MAKE SURE THEY KNOW HOW TO BE COMFORTABLE & ARTICULATE IN THESE CLOTHES! - operate like a first class School of Business - establish a clear understanding of what is expected - prepare them - train them - coach them - in this situation, it must not be an academic adversarial situation like a 'test' with trick questions to separate the "A's" from the B's and C's" - the goal should be that everybody looks professional.... so, when a Business school student shows up at the Hyatt for a career day, it should not be the first time that they have had to get decked out in business attire & put their best foot forward.... and the Reps from the companies leave feeling that ALL Rutgers Business School Students are well prepared.

What is one of the things that sage business leaders often say - over and over ? "NO SURPRISES" ... so, do not leave obvious & simple items to chance - do not provide vague, inconsistent, or incomplete instructions - and when possible do a rehearsal - the goal is to position these kids for success.

Furthermore - Some serious reality check has to be done - since in the article one of the ones turned away was a Rutgers Business School sophomore - I could see being really stringent in terms of polished business attire appearance if this was for interview screening for genuine career positions involving individuals who were 6-12 months away from graduation - but even then - a proper program of preparation would mean that there should be no on-the-spot issues.

- not including Navy, or any blue suits, is absurd. My Lord didn't Xerox have a mandate that their sales force ONLY wore "blue suits"?

- most guys where facial hair of some length these days. Very few shave on a daily basis. I highly doubt a team of interviewers, with 3-day stubble, are going to look down on a kid with a nice, neat, 3-5 day stubble.

Haircut in the sense that it should be fresh. You can have long hair, although it is generally frowned upon in the business sector, but just make sure you've had it cleaned up before hand. Everything else I agree with you on though.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I can't believe a few of you have actually focused on the one thing that was in fact inappropriate, Suede Shoes.

I get the whole business suit and polished shoes. But, black and dark gray are no longer the standards for professional. Brown Shoes have also become the norm in all levels of business. There has to be some kind of common sense used. I'm surprised they didn't turn away facial hair or hair that touched your collar...

you have to invest in yourself. I'm assuming these kids are interviewing for jobs with mid 50s to 60s starting salary. After 2 years of hard work to finish business school but not being able to come up with $350 for a suit is ridiculous.

Reactions: RUsojo
Haircut in the sense that it should be fresh. You can have long hair, although it is generally frowned upon in the business sector, but just make sure you've had it cleaned up before hand. Everything else I agree with you on though.

Okay gotcha fair enough!

Reactions: RUin2WIN
you have to invest in yourself. I'm assuming these kids are interviewing for jobs with mid 50s to 60s starting salary. After 2 years of hard work to finish business school but not being able to come up with $350 for a suit is ridiculous.

I wouldn't say it's an issue of not being able to come up with.....more of, why spend that much -- which I feel would be ridiculous (to use your term). Say there's $500 available to spend, you can impress at an interview by spending $300 (all-in on the entire outfit incl. shoes, tie) and still keeping $200 saved for other expenses. Demonstrates fiscal responsibility too.

I checked out JC Penny since they are relatively inexpensive to create a frugal yet nice outfit:
Suit separate - http://www.jcpenney.com/stafford-tr...-bwo3yD1nopeuZ1z140b8Z12zZxfxZ1z140bhZ1z0ph5f

the Navy jacket and pants in 42 Regular and 34 waist is $160

add a Stafford white dress shirt for $20 more

add a solid tie for $15-25

black dress shoes are $40-100

all in would be $235-$305

I will assume the kids have black socks (even if they are casual straight black socks)

of course if tailoring is necessary you can add another $40-100 to that total.

Not out of this world expensive but I am guessing a number of the kids are on their own without parental help so they would need to come up with this money.

The suburban and middle class kids should have this type of outfit already while the kids without as much may have to hope they have a church suit that can be used or find a way to come up with $300.

The idea of the poster about having the kids dress once a month for special events is smart to get them used to this. It may even show that a nice outfit is warranted. If the school sponsors monthly cocktail parties with the business community this would be a good way to get the kids accustomed to wearing nice clothes since most are used to a casual lifestyle.

I remember graduating from Rutgers graduate schools many years ago a MIT undergraduate who was in my graduate class at Rutgers had a suit on that wasn't tailored or was 1-2 size too big. He was the smartest kid in the class but wasn't getting the jobs probably due his dress. It didn't help that he went straight from undergraduate to graduate school without any work experience.

These non gray wearing kids need a spanking. The safe word is ShockingPower.

1128923.png

Dark navy isn't good enough???
Absolutely understand standards. The Mark Zuckerburg hoodie and Steve Jobs turtlenecks might work for them but not for most.

But really, Navy not ok?
Who's setting this standard?
images

The career services and resources at RU need improvement across every department. They should be far more engaging, visible, and involved with students. The business school is probably one of the best ones on campus, and thats saying a lot because the list of complaints and follies for them is long. It worked for me but I've heard too many stories like this one to know that career services can be massively improved and needs a change of mindset at RU.

Does RU do task forces / project groups to attack problems such as this? It might not even require a ton of money, just fixing processes and lines of communication and getting the right people in the right jobs.

You always know who the new hires are at work. They are the only ones in Black Suits. Everyone at work wears blue suits and brown shoes. Black is for funerals, weddings and night time. Black looks terrible under office lights and is too formal.

Reactions: RUin2WIN
The career services and resources at RU need improvement across every department.
About two years ago Brachi put someone new over the area. As a result several long service senior employees were show the door. That might sound like typical staffing moves in the private sector, not so in higher ed.
The employees sued for age discrimination.
I don't know if the suit is current.
I don't know if the problems have been fixed.
But I think we can presume Barchi knows the area needs work.

About two years ago Brachi put someone new over the area. As a result several long service senior employees were show the door. That might sound like typical staffing moves in the private sector, not so in higher ed.
The employees sued for age discrimination.
I don't know if the suit is current.
I don't know if the problems have been fixed.
But I think we can presume Barchi knows the area needs work.

I'm glad its been identified and something is being done! Barchi has really grown on me as a guy who is getting REALLY BIG things done at RU.

Sounds like standard practice in the private sector. A dept has been identified as a key service and well under-performing. Bring in new leadership and out with the exisiting staff if they're not willing to change their ways / come along on the new ride.

Really freggin' sad in this country that everything is a lawsuit. Honestly its pathetic in this country. I'm sure they'll settle and get paid very well, which is why people do it I'm sure. Its like getting free money because someone did something to upset you.

Never been in the Wall Street/high executive world. Were black suits required in the past? How long ago ?

Agreed..but I would say a light gray would be acceptable.
if the interview is in July or August. You can also wear tan or lighter blue in those months. Black suits were very common but the navy/blue is more popular now. I'm only applying this standard for interviews. Once you get hired, you can show off your fashion sense to your co-workers.

Agree. In 2017, most men under 35 or 40 have some kind of facial hair, including myself. I trim it weekly.

Also, the suit I've gotten the most compliments on is my blue suit. I think it's a necessary in any wardrobe these days.

This is hardly a case of the RU screw. It appears some didn't read the full article. The dress code was explicit & clearly communicated. We can all agree that it's a flawed dress code not allowing dark navy suits & having black as 1 of the required, but everyone was informed of the requirements & should've dressed accordingly. Rutgers needs to change the dress code to allow for dark navy. The bigger issue is that it appears that Rutgers didn't have mock interviews with everyone wearing what they're supposed to wear so that they can basically approve it. Also, these students need to use some common sense & realize that what you wear on an interview is different than what you may year wear once hired. For those saying it's a lot of $, you can get a nice suit on sale at Macy's for around $150 & some around $105.

But getting a new suit to meet an arbitrary dress code is fkn stupid. And why would career fairs be encouraging candidates to act stupidly?
There's nothing arbitrary about it & it won't be worn once. Rutgers cited a clear reason as to why they instituted the dress code: Rutgers students didn't present themselves well.

Reactions: RUSK97
There are lots of highly paid alumni who don't donate, because of the RU Screw like in this instance.
you missed my point here. You wouldn't get hired if you showed up at an interview with sued shoes. RU is doing them a favour. This is not RU Screw.

I've been on Wall Street for 16yrs.

From the article
"Men should also wear black... ...professional suits."

Whoever inside Rutgers who thought black suits were acceptable should be fired on the spot. Its navy and charcoal and nothing else.

Its not that hard.

(Rutgers, looks it up for Chr*$t sake. Charles Tyrwhitt)
ls.jpg

Black suits? Oh my god. I am speechless.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT