ADVERTISEMENT

***Recruits React to Chris Ash Hire***

bobby deren

Heisman Winner
Feb 8, 2007
Many of the current commits are curious about new Rutgers head coach Chris Ash and are waiting to learn a little more about him. Here’s a look at what some of those commits had to say

LB Solomon Manning – Colonia
“I know he is a high caliber coach. He has coached some of the best players in the nation. He is going to be well prepared. He knows what it takes to be one of those top teams in the Big Ten and will take Rutgers where they need to be.”

Manning was scheduled to take his official visit next weekend and is on track to enroll in January.

RB Trey Sneed – Fleming Island (Fla.)
“After coach Flood got fired, we had all kinds of people telling us all kinds of things. I am still committed to Rutgers. Clearly, coach Ash knows his stuff defensively. He can make us a real defensive power. I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting him during my recruitment.”

Sneed is also planning to leave for his official Rutgers visit on Thursday and is intent on enrolling in January. He added that Ohio State was recruiting him as a sophomore but eased off during his junior year.

ATH Phil Campbell – South Brunswick
“Right now, I really don’t know. I am just going to enjoy this [state championship] victory. I am going to get into that a little bit later.”
Update: Campbell will join Justin Morgan as he will also take an OV to Pitt next week

Pitt and West Virginia have been pushing to get an official visit out of Campbell.

WR Mo Jabbie – South Brunswick
“I wasn’t really focused on it. I just want to celebrate on this [state championship] win. I am still committed to Rutgers.”

DB Damon Hayes - Wise (Md.)
"I honestly know nothing about him, but I will do my research."

Hayes has been fielding a lot of interest as of late but remains committed to Rutgers.

QB Anthony Russo – Wood (Pa.)
The quarterback is still committed to Rutgers and is anxious to see what kind of offensive system Ash will install. It is worth mentioning that Russo was very tight with offensive coordinator Ben McDaniels as the two developed a very good relationship.

K Alex Barbir – South Forsyth (Ga.)
“I have to meet him and sit down with him to have opinion. Right now, I'm just waiting to get that chance.”

Babir was hoping to take his official visit next weekend. He also described the past week as a nerve-wracking time waiting for the new head coach to be announced.

OL Justin Morgan - Poly Prep (N.Y.)
"I think it's good that they have a coach now but I have to look into it."

Morgan will officially visit Pitt next weekend and then Rutgers in January.

LB Rashawn Battle - Wallenpaupack (PA)
"I don't know him well but I'm excited. The OSU defense always dominates, I'm excited to meet him.

Battle has maintained his committed to Rutgers

LB Jon Pollock - Dr. Phillips (Fla.)
"Being a student of the game and knowing what he did with OSU's defense I am excited to meet with him next week and discuss our future together."

DT Tymir Oliver West Catholic (PA)
“I think it's a great move, can't wait to meet him.”

OL Yasir Durant Imhotep (PA)

“I heard he’s a great coach and I know the success he had at Ohio State so it will be interesting how he does as the new head coach.”

CB KJ Sails East Bay,Florida
"I saw that come across the TV when I was watching the Florida game . I've always liked him as a coach. I've talked to him a couple of times. I feel he can really help that program and bring that program up so I'm excited about it. Rutgers is back in it for me."

2016 ATH Maurice Ffrench New Brunswick (committed to Pitt)
“He will definitely bring in better players.”

Will consider a visit if Rutgers decides to offer, was getting long look from staff recently

2016 DB Tony Butler St.Edwards (OH)

"He was actually recruiting me at Ohio state and I've heard he's going to come after me," said Butler.

Butler told me that before he officially throws Rutgers back into the mix he wants to see who Ash hires on his staff. It may be possible that he could come back out for an unofficial visit to the school to meet with the new staff.

In regards to Ash as a recruiter "He's very honest and if he likes you he'll keep in contact for years."

2016 DB Henry Miller Gateway (FL)
"Well I think it's a good one he obviously did a great job with that defense but honestly don't know anything about him as a person so that should be interesting to find out who he keeps on the staff."

Four-star defensive back Patrice Rene is currently on an official visit to Boston College.

2017 commit DB Naijee Jones Timber Creek has no comment on the Ash hire at this time

2017 DT Fred Hansard The Hun School
"That's big, that's a great move!."

2017 QB Jack Coan Sayville (NY)

“I’m not familiar with him but I’m looking forward to getting to know him better.”

Coan will be paying attention to what Ash’s plans are offensive. Coan had a very strong bond with OC Ben McDaniels so if Ash decides to go in another direction at OC we’ll see if that has an effect on Coan.

2017 DE Mike Tverdov Union
“I'm excited to meet him. He's very schematically on defense. He has obviously done a great job at OSU and he has some good coaching experience. Looking forward to what he has to bring to the Banks.”

2017 DT Ethan Wiederkehr Shoreham Wading River (NY)
"I don't have much of a opinion yet because I don't know him that much but I'm interested to meet him."

2017 QB Kenny Pickett Ocean (NJ)
"Really excited and like the hire, excited to meet Coach Ash and his new staff. He comes from a great coaching staff at Ohio State. Looking forward to getting back on campus and building a relationship with him"

2017 DT Owen Bowels Cedar Creek
"I like the hiring a lot I believe it is the right choice and I like the great experience he brings to Rutgers."

2017 OL Carter Warren Passaic Tech
"I'm speechless in a good way!"

2017 OL Kevin Jarvis Maine South (IL)
“I know Coach Ash from his time at Ohio state. I think it's a great hire for Rutgers because Coach Ash is a great guy. He was my main recruiter at OSU, I would describe him as reliable. We would talk every week.”

2017 TE Devin Miller Metuchen
“I really know nothing about him always interesting to see what offense a new coach installs.”

2017 DB Tariq Fields Castro Riverside Baptist (MD)
“I don't know too much about him personally , but watching Ohio state and how they play their dbs . I still think Rutgers would be a good fit even if they change their defense . But I believe this is a good decision since he comes from a winning background and environment.”

2017 DT Kurt Hinish Central Catholic (Pittsburgh PA)
“If that's the best thing for the team then that's great, I just want to play football. I did watch his Ohio State defense, I was really impressed with their defense. I’m a really big Joey Bosa fan.”

2018 WR Shaquan Anderson Butts Harrisburg PA
“I think it was a good choice because he is a good coach and knows how to win so it will be a good fit for Rutgers.”

2017 RB Jon Taylor Salem
“I think that is a good move for Rutgers , Ohio State is a great program . Bringing in that would only add to the up rising Rutgers program.”

2017 ATH Bo Melton Cedar Creek
“It's great for Coach Ash , coming from a DC to now a HC . It's a great thing for him and his family . Coach Flood was a great coach and a great person I wish the best to both of the coaches and also to Rutgers as they transition.”

2017 WR Everett Wormley Burlingtown Township

“I don’t know much about him other then what I read in articles. I just know he is going to bring a championship attitude coming from OSU. Looking forward to meeting him.”

2017 DT Corey Bolds Paramus Catholic
“ Great move‼ I’m looking forward to building a great relationship with him at Rutgers. I think he has great ability to bring Rutgers to do amazing things‼. I met him when I visited in March. He’s a great guy and seems very smart.”

2017 ATH CJ Holmes Cheshire Academy (CT)
“Well based off the knowledge I have of the well rounded defense he led at OSU I’m very excited for Rutgers, although as a recruit I hope he continues to recruit me so I have to let everything settle before i can just say I’m in love with the decision.”

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.