ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball RHoops falls out of top 25, sitting at No. 27

Not a shock. We will have opportunities to get back into the rankings, starting Thursday.

The Correct Rankings
#3 Michigan
#4 Ohio St
#5 Illinois
#7 Iowa
#12 Wisconsin
#18 Rutgers
#20 Purdue
#25 Minnesota
#30 Maryland
#33 Indiana
#43 Penn St
#58 Michigan St
#73 Northwestern
#126 Nebraska

bac, how do you square the AP voters (and your own, apparently) inability to value the Big Ten strength of schedule correctly with the assertion that we are a LOCK with one more win? I realize it's two different voting blocks..

LOL at Belmont getting in there at #28 btw, these people have no idea what they're doing. Ditto people voting for Saint Louis, Toledo (?), UC Santa Barbara, Western Kentucky, Wright State (?), and Utah St.

Kind of surprised we only dropped two spots. I’ll take it.

AP voters can't watch every game, so probably saw recaps and summaries of several of the teams. If the story they saw was "Myles Johnson got hit with 2 fouls in the first minute, and Rutgers still managed to keep it to a 13 point loss on the road against #15 Iowa", I'm sure it didn't have too huge of an impact on perception.

No big deal to me. We are # 27 in the AP and # 28 in the Coaches poll. Maybe it will give us a little more incentive without the pressure of being ranked in the Top 25. I just want us to make the NCAA and hopefully be ranked in the final rankings.

bac, how do you square the AP voters (and your own, apparently) inability to value the Big Ten strength of schedule correctly with the assertion that we are a LOCK with one more win? I realize it's two different voting blocks..

I would say that all the way down to the 5 line and a couple teams in the 6 line are locks RIGHT NOW....I think RU is in the 24-27 range and have them as my last 6 seed, so they actually are squared

Reactions: MADHAT1 and RW90
Ranking system in college sports is an absolute complete joke.

should just get rid of them in all sports

LOL at Belmont getting in there at #28 btw, these people have no idea what they're doing. Ditto people voting for Saint Louis, Toledo (?), UC Santa Barbara, Western Kentucky, Wright State (?), and Utah St.

there is nothing wrong in voting for a 21-1 Belmont, if I had a vote I would give them one at 25..winning counts, I dont care who it is against if you dominate your competition

there is nothing wrong in voting for a 21-1 Belmont, if I had a vote I would give them one at 25..winning counts, I dont care who it is against if you dominate your competition

I have nothing against them but they are like the 70th best team in the country.

it’s this focus on overall records that concerns me w.r.t. tournament selection from the Big Ten. Not that I’m saying I’m concerned about Rutgers right now, just that in the unlikely event that we only won one more game I would be.

what about Virginia Tech, what about Purdue, what about Florida State, what about Wisconsin, what about Kansas....I suppose all these fanbases are saying what if we lose all our gams, its hypothetical that really shouldnt be brought up. RU will get in with one more win...that does not mean we will have angst and handwringing all through the process but eventually they will

that being said, its not a likely scenerio so IMO its bizarre that our fanbase wants to talk about it.

what about Virginia Tech, what about Purdue, what about Florida State, what about Wisconsin, what about Kansas....I suppose all these fanbases are saying what if we lose all our gams, its hypothetical that really shouldnt be brought up. RU will get in with one more win...that does not mean we will have angst and handwringing all through the process but eventually they will

that being said, its not a likely scenerio so IMO its bizarre that our fanbase wants to talk about it.

I don't think it's that weird to talk about? It's a natural corollary of "how many more wins do we need".

If Purdue finishes 1-6 I don't think they would make it either FWIW. But I don't care about Purdue.

the Top 25 jinx ... Just increased our chances to beat Michigan to fall out of the rankings

I don't think it's that weird to talk about? It's a natural corollary of "how many more wins do we need".

If Purdue finishes 1-6 I don't think they would make it either FWIW. But I don't care about Purdue.

do you think Kansas fans or Wisconsin fans are fretting about making the tournament

its the years of futility and bad engrained in the fanbase thinking that we have to discard.

Rutgers has won 5 of their last 6 beaten only by a probably 3 seed. In that stretch they beat two probable tourney teams.

Reactions: shields
do you think Kansas fans or Wisconsin fans are fretting about making the tournament

its the years of futility and bad engrained in the fanbase thinking that we have to discard.

Rutgers has won 5 of their last 6 beaten only by a probably 3 seed. In that stretch they beat two probable tourney teams.

I just don’t think I’m fretting? I’ve gone out of my way every time it’s been discussed to say I don’t think the scenario is likely.

I also don’t think it’s that strange for a fan base that’s been out of the tourney for 30 years to focus on that as a goal more than others.

Reactions: zebnatto
Not worried about the polls at all. The NET is more important and in the immortal words of Al Davis, "Just win baby" Everything else will take care of itself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT