ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals Top 150 B1G Recruiting 2020-23

NewJerseyHawk

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2007
I know fans are frustrated and perhaps concerned or wondering how we got "here" and what that looks like going forward. It's a little more eye opening until we see it on paper. I went back to 2020 to 2023, because even though 2019 HS kids are still playing this year, those kids with extra years because of the covid season are winding down.

Here are the number of Top 150 kids signed since 2020 through 2023 in the B1G.

Michigan 13
Michigan State 11
Illinois 11
Indiana 10
Ohio State 10
Wisconsin 7
Purdue 6
Maryland 5
Nebraska 4
Northwestern 4
Minnesota 3
Iowa 2
Penn State 2
Rutgers 2 (Cliff and Gavin).

A lot of the household names are spread across the B1G, some for Purdue that were not 150 (Zach Edey, Braden Smith) or doesn't account for portal transfers in or out of programs.

If we expand this list to 2024 recruiting, the numbers help bring RU up a little bit, but we need 2025 recruiting to spread the talent out, so we have a chance to become a consistent and capable NCAA tournament program.

Michigan 16
Michigan State 13
Illinois 13
Ohio State 11
Indiana 10
Purdue 9
Wisconsin 8
Maryland 7
Rutgers 6
Nebraska 4
Northwestern 4
Penn State 3
Iowa 3
Minnesota 3

Things are looking up and obviously a lot of these kids elsewhere, have transferred out or left for the NBA/Pros, but the margins for error when RU lands just 1 Top 150 kid in 3 recruiting classes (2020 to 2022) is extremely thin.

The 2025 class is huge. It sets the tone as to whether 2024 was a one time thing flash in the pan or if Rutgers is here to stay recruiting at a different level

2025 and 2026 have to be grouped together to see what 2024 actually does. Most of the 2025 kids will be committed and signed before the 2024 kids play a game. The 2024 season and how we look, can impact 2025 portal kids and 2026 HS kids.

I know fans are frustrated and perhaps concerned or wondering how we got "here" and what that looks like going forward. It's a little more eye opening until we see it on paper. I went back to 2020 to 2023, because even though 2019 HS kids are still playing this year, those kids with extra years because of the covid season are winding down.

Here are the number of Top 150 kids signed since 2020 through 2023 in the B1G.

Michigan 13
Michigan State 11
Illinois 11
Indiana 10
Ohio State 10
Wisconsin 7
Purdue 6
Maryland 5
Nebraska 4
Northwestern 4
Minnesota 3
Iowa 2
Penn State 2
Rutgers 2 (Cliff and Gavin).

A lot of the household names are spread across the B1G, some for Purdue that were not 150 (Zach Edey, Braden Smith) or doesn't account for portal transfers in or out of programs.

If we expand this list to 2024 recruiting, the numbers help bring RU up a little bit, but we need 2025 recruiting to spread the talent out, so we have a chance to become a consistent and capable NCAA tournament program.

Michigan 16
Michigan State 13
Illinois 13
Ohio State 11
Indiana 10
Purdue 9
Wisconsin 8
Maryland 7
Rutgers 6
Nebraska 4
Northwestern 4
Penn State 3
Iowa 3
Minnesota 3

Things are looking up and obviously a lot of these kids elsewhere, have transferred out or left for the NBA/Pros, but the margins for error when RU lands just 1 Top 150 kid in 3 recruiting classes (2020 to 2022) is extremely thin.
Good work here, Hawk. This puts things in perspective.

We really need one big recruit to kick off 2025. It'll set the tone
Not easy without RHJ, a brother who happens to be a top 5 recruit who grew up with the program and a mom who wanted her kid to stay home.
Do you think we get Ace with Dylan?

Reactions: darkcheck
So we really didn’t turn our 2019-2021 success into better recruiting? Now it would seem we don’t have NIL for 2025 recruiting and the 2026 recruiting will very much depend on 2024’s success. Still an uphill battle.

2025 and 2026 have to be grouped together to see what 2024 actually does. Most of the 2025 kids will be committed and signed before the 2024 kids play a game. The 2024 season and how we look, can impact 2025 portal kids and 2026 HS kids.
There will be high expectations next year. To keep the recruiting momentum going an NCAA bid is probably the floor.

Not easy without RHJ, a brother who happens to be a top 5 recruit who grew up with the program and a mom who wanted her kid to stay home.
Agreed. It’s a very pleasant surprise, but it’s a fluke. We’re already seeing our top 2025 targets choose ga tech and providence.

RU doesn't have to live exclusively in the Top 150 to win, but it really should eliminate a lot of discussions about the staff not knowing how to coach offense. I think watching enough games, there are places where driving lanes and shots are available but we just don't have talent to take advantage of it.

If we are looking at potential portal options, RU has a pattern of looking at kids that

A) were originally targeted out of HS or visited RU in the past.

B) players connected to current coaching staff members....(my guess would be Smoke Williamson may have another option or connection like JWill, from the Midwest)

C) players that are connected to new assistant coaches that may join RU.....Jay Young likely coming back as a 4th or 5th assistant with Knight, TJ Thompson and Smoke Williamson, could have a smaller school target that we aren't aware of.

The 2023 Top 150 kids that are not yet in the portal but visited RU are below. It doesn't mean that these kids would automatically land at RU or that it means other kids aren't staying at RU (Cliff).....these two players would push the 2024 total of Top 150 kids to a level that is mid-tier with most B1G programs (considering USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington coming on board).

Last edited:
Wasn’t jones a top 150 recruit?

I did double check and I think we was in the 100 to 150 range, but these rankings always get updates and he might have gotten passed by others once the final rankings were completed.

Keep in mind, 2024 signee, Bryce Dortch has been in the 125 to 150 range.....I believe he fell outsigned, recent update of the Top 150, but Dylan Grant, did land in the Top 150, at around 127 or so. It's possible that Dortch and Grant's ranking could change based on future updates.

RU doesn't have to live exclusively in the Top 150 to win, but it really should eliminate a lot of discussions about the staff not knowing how to coach offense. I think watching enough games, there are places where driving lanes and shots are available but we just don't have talent to take advantage of it.

If we are looking at potential portal options, RU has a pattern of looking at kids that

A) visited or were originally targeted out of HS or visited RU in the past.

B) players connected to current coaching staff members....(my guess would be Smoke Williamson may have another option or connection like JWill, from the Midwest)

C) players that are connected to new assistant coaches that may join RU.....Jay Young likely coming back as a 4th or 5th assistant with Knight, TJ Thompson and Smoke Williamson, could have a smaller school target that we aren't aware of.

The 2023 Top 150 kids that are not yet in the portal but visited RU are below. It doesn't mean that these kids would automatically land at RU or that it means other kids aren't staying at RU (Cliff).....these two players would push the 2024 total of Top 150 kids to a level that is mid-tier with most B1G programs (considering USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington coming on board).

Is Baye Ndongo planning to leave GT already?

We are unlikely to land that level of recruit, but we are in the mix for a bunch of high end talent. Need to land one

We are unlikely to land that level of recruit, but we are in the mix for a bunch of high end talent. Need to land one
It seems Stores Jr is GA Tech, Harrell looking like Providence and McKinney surely KY or MI ST. Who else you thinking? Dorian Jones or Nigel James?

Reactions: Scangg
Wasn’t jones a top 150 recruit?
According to a zagsblog commitment write-up, he was ranked #96 on 247 at the time. Don't know what he finally ended up though.

I think when he graduated and enrolled early, it moved him to the previous class where he didn't have a ranking.

Isn't there a family connection between B. Knight and Ace Bailey as well?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT