ADVERTISEMENT

RU #8 In Nation in Strength of Record

Talk about cherry picked stats from a ND homer. Eliminate their 2-4 start in '22 and pretend it's a real season. They're for real this year, but way ahead of Virginia? Please.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I’m no fan of the Terps, but I was really hoping they’d win yesterday.

Bottom line is you need teams that you play on your schedule to do well…win or lose.

A win over Princeton would help exponentially in terms of trying to grab an at large bid…

Massive game. For both teams. Ivy is struggling outside of CornelL

Duke / Syracuse is what happens when 2 average teams play one another. The same can be said when two winless teams play each other or two undefeated teams play.

At this point you could argue that RU should be 4th or 5th nationally behind UVA, ND, Cornell, and maybe Princeton.
Princeton has beaten nobody. They actually should be outside the top ten. Through 4 games they have a very poor resume. Only wins are Monmouth and Manhattan…not good

It will shake out here in the next few weeks…

Two big games for RU this week…of course the home tilt with rival Princeton….

But the other game that could really help Rutgers metrics is if Loyola can go into Duke and get a win…that would really help RU (again from a long term metrics standpoint)

At this point you could argue that RU should be 4th or 5th nationally behind UVA, ND, Cornell, and maybe Princeton.
We will know for sure after next week, but I can’t see putting Princeton ahead of us at this point. They have beaten no one and lost to a good but not great Maryland team and gave G’town their first win.

Right now it is UVa out front by a decent margin. I’d put Cornell and ND about even but good distance behind UVa. After that I think you could put Maryland, OSU, Duke and Rutgers in any order. I’d put Loyola just being that group with a chance to jump ahead with a win over Duke, which would also be great for us.

We will know for sure after next week, but I can’t see putting Princeton ahead of us at this point. They have beaten no one and lost to a good but not great Maryland team and gave G’town their first win.

Right now it is UVa out front by a decent margin. I’d put Cornell and ND about even but good distance behind UVa. After that I think you could put Maryland, OSU, Duke and Rutgers in any order. I’d put Loyola just being that group with a chance to jump ahead with a win over Duke, which would also be great for us.

I'd put Loyola in that group of 5 after the clear #1 and the next 2. Interesting 2 weeks coming up for Tobacco Road as Duke plays Loyola and UNC with the other game Brown visiting the Tar Heels. And Penn St may check in at #10 tomorrow. Princeton KNOWS the their tourney chances, outside of an AQ, ride on a win this week. That one will be a war.

Loyola is in the group with RU, MD, OSU, and Duke right now…need to apply consistent logic…see Loyola v UMD H2H

I’m an RU fan as you know…RU owns the head to head over Loyola so RU is the better team…but Loyola’s schedule is better to date and they handled UMD by 5 goals…not to mention they pounded Hopkins. So if UMD is in that group then Loyola is ahead of them based on H2H logic that was applied to RU v Loyola…

Now as you note and I noted in a thread here somewhere…two very big games next week

Princeton v RU…Princeton has beaten NOBODY…they have zero quality wins…RU honestly needs this win like they needed the Loyola win. GO RU!

Loyola v Duke. If Loyola goes to Duke and wins, they hold as many chips in the “at large” game as anyone in the country with the OOC schedule and results.

These are two very big games…they will both be tough games but both are win-able

I'd put Loyola in that group of 5 after the clear #1 and the next 2. Interesting 2 weeks coming up for Tobacco Road as Duke plays Loyola and UNC with the other game Brown visiting the Tar Heels. And Penn St may check in at #10 tomorrow. Princeton KNOWS the their tourney chances, outside of an AQ, ride on a win this week. That one will be a war.
Obviously I’ll be at a Duke Friday night but I think I’m gonna go to Chapel Hill on Sat to catch that Brown v UNC game before I grab my flight back to Detroit Sat night…I’d like to get a close look at both those teams…

Agree on your thoughts on Princeton…they’re in trouble with a loss to RU…maybe not completely out of the “At Large” picture but they would be climbing up a very severe hill…

G
Loyola is in the group with RU, MD, OSU, and Duke right now…need to apply consistent logic…see Loyola v UMD H2H

I’m an RU fan as you know…RU owns the head to head over Loyola so RU is the better team…but Loyola’s schedule is better to date and they handled UMD by 5 goals…not to mention they pounded Hopkins. So if UMD is in that group then Loyola is ahead of them based on H2H logic that was applied to RU v Loyola…

Now as you note and I noted in a thread here somewhere…two very big games next week

Princeton v RU…Princeton has beaten NOBODY…they have zero quality wins…RU honestly needs this win like they needed the Loyola win. GO RU!

Loyola v Duke. If Loyola goes to Duke and wins, they hold as many chips in the “at large” game as anyone in the country with the OOC schedule and results.

These are two very big games…they will both be tough games but both are win-able
You are right. I was looking at it through purely an RU lens — we beat them so they must be behind us. But objectively speaking, Loyola is our best win and our loss to Army is worse than their loss to us. So realistically they deserve to be ahead of us at this point regardless of the head to head outcome.

G

You are right. I was looking at it through purely an RU lens — we beat them so they must be behind us. But objectively speaking, Loyola is our best win and our loss to Army is worse than their loss to us. So realistically they deserve to be ahead of us at this point regardless of the head to head outcome.
I’m not necessarily saying Loyola is ahead of RU. I’m a huge H2H guy…especially if teams are similar. My only point is Loyola is right there in that next group of 4-5 teams not named UVA, ND, and Cornell…

Duke, RU, Loyola, UMD, OSU, and maybe even PSU are in that next grouping IMO

But it will all settle out here as the final OOC games play out in the next 2-3 weeks…

We all know the metrics. RU needs to beat Princeton and Umass and then hope the other big ten teams (and Loyola and Army) keep winning.

If Army and Loyola keep winning, that helps RU…big time!

All good

No problem with the rankings this week. You can list in any order about 5 teams. We are in the mix, which is what we've earned.

Big game this weekend. Princeton doesn't mean as much to the younger guys as it does to us old guys, but it's a massive game for both teams. You can argue an even bigger game for Princeton given the Ivy league isn't going to present the opportunities it did last year, and one the B1G looks to be presenting this year.

Need this one though to keep on track. Would be a big feather for our at large chances and gives wiggle room in the B1G. Don't forget, we have 3 away B1G games this year and winning road games in this league is especially hard.

Maryland at home is going to be massive. We need to get that monkey off our back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT