ADVERTISEMENT

RU MLax Back In The Top 10

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
RU jumps up to #9 this week, just one spot behind OSU. PSU enters the rankings after beating Yale at #17, so only B1G team not ranked this week is Michigan. Cuse ranked at #20 is a farce.

RU jumps up to #9 this week, just one spot behind OSU. PSU enters the rankings after beating Yale at #17, so only B1G team not ranked this week is Michigan. Cuse ranked at #20 is a farce.

#20 because of the ESPN/Quint/Carc bias. Surprised they didn't get a single 1st place vote.

A bunch of interesting games this week:

ND-Maryland at Maryland
Cornell-OSU
Penn-PSU
Princeton-Georgetown

Notre Dame seems to have learned their lesson from last year with their scheduling. A bunch of non-conference cupcakes (except for Ohio State which they lost) all at home cost them a bid last year. In the opposite direction, the Ivies got 6 teams in with tough non-conference games that they won. More mixed results this year which will reduce the number of bids.

Georgetown can always get the AQ from the Big East, but a loss to Princeton puts the nail in the coffin for an "at large".

I love this statement.
I was interested in their game. Wanted to see what all the hype was about.

They have a few guys with some moments of brilliance but overall their schemes on offense and D seem to be non existent. They are no longer a run and gun program. They are a settled offense ball movement team which is very different from their regular old DNA

Most curious was their flash. Their fans and team cheered behind the back passes like they were goals. It’s a strange phenomena. I think Gaits overt insistence on being creative is missing the trees through the forest.

They have sick highlight goals but they don’t do anything particularly well except man up. Hence the Instagram team.

D1 lacrosee is a lot different than when Gait played. You can’t expect to roll balls out and win on talent.

I always take everything with a grain of salt but I’ve heard through someone in the program things aren’t right there. Seems obvious when you watch them. Other thing is they are soft. UNC was punking them on their own field.

Reactions: TRU2RU and gef21
#20 because of the ESPN/Quint/Carc bias. Surprised they didn't get a single 1st place vote.

ND-Maryland at Maryland
Cornell-OSU
Penn-PSU
Princeton-Georgetown

Notre Dame seems to have learned their lesson from last year with their scheduling. A bunch of non-conference cupcakes (except for Ohio State which they lost) all at home cost them a bid last year. In the opposite direction, the Ivies got 6 teams in with tough non-conference games that they won. More mixed results this year which will reduce the number of bids.

Georgetown can always get the AQ from the Big East, but a loss to Princeton puts the nail in the coffin for an "at large".
You want the conference to do well in these games…just like last year. That’s how OSU got in for a 3rd bid

An MD win over ND would help the conference big time

OSU beating Cornell would be huge as they already have a win over UNC

Would love to see Princeton beat Gtown…Gtown would have to win the big east tourney to get in…

If you want RU to really have a strong footing, you beat Princeton and run through the rest of the OOC…you do that with other conference teams winning (to boost RPI), that’s the at large path needed…not to mention win most of the conference games and get to the title game

The other thing for RU fans is you now want Loyola to go on a tear…beat Towson and beat Duke a week from Friday…if Loyola can do that, it will make RU’s win on Saturday exponentially better in terms of metrics…

Early view but I don’t think the Ivy is getting six teams…I think they get 4

The ACC is gonna get more this year…but my guess would be 3 ACC teams when the dust settles…no Cuse for sure

I think if the big ten wins some of these big OOC games, they might get 3…but the safe bet is 2

Gotta win games. And get to the big ten title game. I think the Big Ten is up for grabs for sure

UMD, RU, OSU - Legit Contenders
PSU - Maybe close to the top 3
Hop - Not this year
UM - Same as always.

It’s not easy to get in

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
One thing about our scoring being centralized is a little bit of fools gold for other teams. Certainly you'd like to see our second O midfield line get more productive. Unquestionably we need that.

However, our rope guys are generating opportunities that are leading to the centralized scoring in the first place. We play a lot of dudes.

Against Loyola we played 6 SSDMs and 3 poles. I guarantee there aren't many teams doing that. Their play led to a number of hockey assists and open attack shots.

Something to consider when looking at our scoring. It's much deeper than the stats would have you believe.

Reactions: mattkamish

ND-Maryland at Maryland
Cornell-OSU
Penn-PSU
Princeton-Georgetown

Rooting for MD, OSU, Princeton and ......PENN. 🙂

Come around more and bring fans. We need to get this board cranking.

Lotta guys here with a knowledge of the game and connections to the program leads to solid content, imo.

Early view but I don’t think the Ivy is getting six teams…I think they get 4

Might only be 3. The next 2 weeks are crucial. Harvard plays Vermont and Michigan. Lose either and their only way is an AQ. Amazing considering the young talent they have. Brown plays Stony Brook and UNC. A win over UNC and they're still in the mix. A loss to Stony Brook and they're probably only an AQ team.

I think Ivy gets 3 max. It's early, but I can't see the Acc only getting 1 in like last year which directly lead to the Ivy's haul.

Lotta lacrosse to go. One at a time.

Come around more and bring fans. We need to get this board cranking.

Lotta guys here with a knowledge of the game and connections to the program leads to solid content, imo.
If I post it’s generally on the wrestling boards. There is a lot of passion there but it tends to get in the way of an objective critique of matches, individual performances, state of the program, etc…The wrestling staff could learn a lot from coach Brecht in terms of overall program organization, alumni and donor relations, recruiting strategies re. types of athletes and how to combat the prejudices of the elite prep schools (many of NJ’s best wrestlers although more blue collar backgrounds than a lot of lacrosse players tend to get scholarships to Blair, Delbarton, etc…and they are hard to pull into RU). It’s interesting, my only slight ding on Brecht is that he could improve his public speaking. There are always lots of umm’s and meandering answers to questions. Coach Goodale is pretty good in front of the mic.

Hahaha, that's fair. Brian's mind works faster than his mouth. I don't know what wrestling's alumni base was like prior but Brian had a big leg up coming into Rutgers. Coach Hayes always preached involvement and Brian understood that the first day he took the job. He's a master at alumni relations. He's also relentless. I've heard many recruiting stories and the amount of effort he and staff put out. If we don't get a kid, it's certainly not for lack of effort. You are going to have to tell him no, probably a number of times until you sign that letter. I've told this story before but I've told him many times he doesn't need to write me hand written letters- I'm all in. But he never listens. I guarantee it's like to the 10th power with recruits.

The private schools are tough in NJ, but you just have to keep grinding. We aren't there yet, but we are inching closer. We've tapped into both the Baltimore private school league and the DC league both of which pump out talent. Facilities, winning, playing a sexy style, and above all else, the kids that go through the program- they are the best recruiters. Brian is creating a lot of them.

Good luck to wrestling. I don't know anything about it but the B1G seems completely ridiculous. It seems like the entire top 10 is the B1G almost.

With privates you have to separate boarding from day. Boarding the kids enter with Ivy hopes. PGs are often referred by Ivy coaches. And UNC & UVA have been courting the kids that don't quite make it for generations. Lawrenceville is the top NJ school, but Deerfield is currently at the top of the heap. Way back it was Andover who PGed a kid named Belachick to a team that had 3 future HM AAs and 7 Ivy League starters.

Where I think concentration should be focused is on the Bergen parochials and the Philly Inter-AC schools. Lot of talent there.

Hahaha, that's fair. Brian's mind works faster than his mouth. I don't know what wrestling's alumni base was like prior but Brian had a big leg up coming into Rutgers. Coach Hayes always preached involvement and Brian understood that the first day he took the job. He's a master at alumni relations. He's also relentless. I've heard many recruiting stories and the amount of effort he and staff put out. If we don't get a kid, it's certainly not for lack of effort. You are going to have to tell him no, probably a number of times until you sign that letter. I've told this story before but I've told him many times he doesn't need to write me hand written letters- I'm all in. But he never listens. I guarantee it's like to the 10th power with recruits.

The private schools are tough in NJ, but you just have to keep grinding. We aren't there yet, but we are inching closer. We've tapped into both the Baltimore private school league and the DC league both of which pump out talent. Facilities, winning, playing a sexy style, and above all else, the kids that go through the program- they are the best recruiters. Brian is creating a lot of them.

Good luck to wrestling. I don't know anything about it but the B1G seems completely ridiculous. It seems like the entire top 10 is the B1G almost.
Letters/cards…our house must have gotten a card per day for a month when Brian was recruiting my son. I got cards, my wife got cards, my son got tons of notes…It worked.

The Rutgers Lacrosse brand is trending up and the CEO and Alumni deserve a lot of credit.

Brecht sounds like a great guy. We are lucky to have him.

I love hearing the recruiting details from you guys. From club programs to high schools to individual recruits and the behind the scenes details....its all a great read.

Brecht sounds like a great guy. We are lucky to have him.
He is. I’m sure as a player it’s tough. D1 sports are a grind. Full commitment needed. But being part of the RU lax family is special. I’ll never be able to repay all the lessons I learned there. Wouldn’t be where I am had I not. I know other guys feel that same way. Only thing we can do is give back, which is expected when you get out.

One of my favorite things is seeing these kids graduate, become alums, then go on to be great men. At the end of the day, that’s what it’s really about and there are many examples of that. I’ve gotten to know a number of the guys and it amazes me what great people come through our program. Brecht in that respect is doing an amazing job. I’ve gotten to know Matt’s son really well and he is a great example. Those rope guys are the really the stars in our system. It was fun watching him develop from an offensive middie into, imo, the best DMid in the country his senior year. The amount of work to do that is incredible. Best of all he’s just a great kid so it makes supporting him and many like him very easy.

Brecht runs a very open program. If someone wants to get involved, see a practice, etc, he would be very open. He gets t is whole side of it. I always said Schiano should take some lessons from him about how he runs his program. It would help him immensely I believe.

Hopefully we get off to a hot start today, play some of the younger guys and build a little depth.

I want to see more of our next generation of middies!

More likely to see some attack guys pop like Kurdyla and Shane Murphy pop.

Logan Peter’s is going to pop. Kid is a stud!

He's getting run at midfield but if you noticed they put him down at attack in Cameron's spot when the back ups came in. Pretty clear sign they are looking at him as the heir apparent to that spot.

I agree. Kid is a stud. He's on the precipice. Only a matter of time before he's making some big plays.

He's getting run at midfield but if you noticed they put him down at attack in Cameron's spot when the back ups came in. Pretty clear sign they are looking at him as the heir apparent to that spot.

I agree. Kid is a stud. He's on the precipice. Only a matter of time before he's making some big plays.
Yea I saw the change. Agree clear sign heir apparent. I think he did a good job distributing and getting the ball to players in space.

Rare 3 sport athlete in high school. High character kid. Great representative of school and program.

Reactions: Caliknight
He is. I’m sure as a player it’s tough. D1 sports are a grind. Full commitment needed. But being part of the RU lax family is special. I’ll never be able to repay all the lessons I learned there. Wouldn’t be where I am had I not. I know other guys feel that same way. Only thing we can do is give back, which is expected when you get out.

One of my favorite things is seeing these kids graduate, become alums, then go on to be great men. At the end of the day, that’s what it’s really about and there are many examples of that. I’ve gotten to know a number of the guys and it amazes me what great people come through our program. Brecht in that respect is doing an amazing job. I’ve gotten to know Matt’s son really well and he is a great example. Those rope guys are the really the stars in our system. It was fun watching him develop from an offensive middie into, imo, the best DMid in the country his senior year. The amount of work to do that is incredible. Best of all he’s just a great kid so it makes supporting him and many like him very easy.

Brecht runs a very open program. If someone wants to get involved, see a practice, etc, he would be very open. He gets t is whole side of it. I always said Schiano should take some lessons from him about how he runs his program. It would help him immensely I believe.
Cali, is Brecht open enough to allow a few local club kids in Monmouth county to watch a practice? That would be exceptional because my son and a few of his teammates are freshmen and sophomores and I am trying to expose them to various levels of lacrosse since several have expressed a desire to play in college at whatever level is appropriate. I have taken my son to a Georgian Court v Monmouth scrimmage, toured Gettysburg with coach Toner and will be visiting Catholic to watch my nephew. Stockton is an easy trip too and I'm told has nice facilities so we may head there next week to take in a game and grab dinner.

Cali, is Brecht open enough to allow a few local club kids in Monmouth county to watch a practice? That would be exceptional because my son and a few of his teammates are freshmen and sophomores and I am trying to expose them to various levels of lacrosse since several have expressed a desire to play in college at whatever level is appropriate. I have taken my son to a Georgian Court v Monmouth scrimmage, toured Gettysburg with coach Toner and will be visiting Catholic to watch my nephew. Stockton is an easy trip too and I'm told has nice facilities so we may head there next week to take in a game and grab dinner.
for your HS age kids probably no as that could be seen as a visit and would be a recruiting violation. I am surprised that Toner gave your kids a personal tour unless it was affiliated with a prospect day or event that could also be construed as early recruiting. but, as I say that I do acknowledge that division 3 is kind of the wild west.

for your HS age kids probably no as that could be seen as a visit and would be a recruiting violation. I am surprised that Toner gave your kids a personal tour unless it was affiliated with a prospect day or event that could also be construed as early recruiting. but, as I say that I do acknowledge that division 3 is kind of the wild west.
Unfortunate, but probably true with regards to RU and D1.

Yea I saw the change. Agree clear sign heir apparent. I think he did a good job distributing and getting the ball to players in space.

Rare 3 sport athlete in high school. High character kid. Great representative of school and program.

We have a lot of guys that played more than lacrosse. In fact, Brian almost demands that in recruiting. Looking over the roster almost all of those kids excelled in other sports. Our system requires athletes. Let those system kids go to schools like Hopkins. You hear the phrase in the program, "players make plays" a lot from the staff.

You need athletes to see that mantra become reality. It's full commitment from the staff in recruiting and in how we play.

We have a lot of guys that played more than lacrosse. In fact, Brian almost demands that in recruiting. Looking over the roster almost all of those kids excelled in other sports. Our system requires athletes. Let those system kids go to schools like Hopkins. You hear the phrase in the program, "players make plays" a lot from the staff.

You need athletes to see that mantra become reality. It's full commitment from the staff in recruiting and in how we play.
Yeah, Brady Kurdyla played QB on the Bridgewater-Raritan football team, and Colin played WR.

We have like 3 or 4 guys that played QB in high school. They are good leaders. Usually X attackmen. Mullins was a perfect example.

IMO a good high school point guard translates very well to the lacrosse field.

But athletes are athletes…you can just tell when they get off the bus. Exceptions to every rule, but bigger, faster, stronger, and skilled usually wins the day…

D1 athletes have that elite speed/quickness. I can watch middle school players and get a good idea who has D1 potential based on how they move.

I can see how kids run or move at a younger age. Assuming growth. It’s just different. You can see it.

Both my guys were late. Generally the guys that are shaving in 8th grade get passed by…in some cases blown by when they get to be juniors in HS…just my experience.
I could not agree more. I am going through this now in my own house. I watched several of my sons teammates show up to play their 7th and 8th grade seasons with noticeable physical maturity. My son was just tall and thin and his practice habits kept him competing with those early kids but man it was a challenge in some 1 v 1 matchups. Fast forward to this, his freshman year and he grew 5 inches and added 25 quality pounds while several of his former teammates just seemed to have maxed out.

Reactions: mattkamish
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT