ADVERTISEMENT

RU MLax Back In The Top 10

I could not agree more. I am going through this now in my own house. I watched several of my sons teammates show up to play their 7th and 8th grade seasons with noticeable physical maturity. My son was just tall and thin and his practice habits kept him competing with those early kids but man it was a challenge in some 1 v 1 matchups. Fast forward to this, his freshman year and he grew 5 inches and added 25 quality pounds while several of his former teammates just seemed to have maxed out.
Of course there are exceptions to every rule…but what you’re describing with your son happens all the time…way more than the exceptions…the nice thing is the smaller late bloomers learn the game and excel based on skill and fundamentals in the early years while they’re waiting on the body to grow….once they grow, it’s a force multiplier in terms of now having the skills and the athletic frame to play the game…on the flip, the early bloomers that just ran over people physically face new challenges once everyone is caught up physically.

It’s always a tough window of time those middle school years. Physically, emotionally, and just in general, middle school years are hard on kids. Kids are going through a lot of changes. Once they get to high school, kids tend to settle in and level out with stable maturity.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
I could not agree more. I am going through this now in my own house. I watched several of my sons teammates show up to play their 7th and 8th grade seasons with noticeable physical maturity. My son was just tall and thin and his practice habits kept him competing with those early kids but man it was a challenge in some 1 v 1 matchups. Fast forward to this, his freshman year and he grew 5 inches and added 25 quality pounds while several of his former teammates just seemed to have maxed out.

Funny, someone I know was SHORT and thin and grew 6 inches and put on 30 quality pounds his freshman year.

Best two kids I knew growing up were the same size as they were in 9th grade when the rest of our crew sprouted over 6 feet and put on 50 lbs. Those guys never made D1. Funny thing is they would have been early commits 5 years ago

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Best two kids I knew growing up were the same size as they were in 9th grade when the rest of our crew sprouted over 6 feet and put on 50 lbs. Those guys never made D1. Funny thing is they would have been early commits 5 years ago
The recruiting change is the best thing that’s happened in lacrosse the last 10 years. It benefits kids and coaches…it’s not debatable it’s better now…no need for either party to rush a very big decision

Reactions: Caliknight
Like you said earlier, with Some guys you can just tell.

I coached a boy in hockey a few years ago. He was the best athlete on my team and made himself into a good player just by his pure athleticism. But lacrosse was always his first love and he eventually stopped playing hockey. He turned out to be a D1 FOGO recruit and committed to ND. One of my assistant coaches played lacrosse for Penn and he told me when the kid was 11 years old that he was likely a D1 kid.

The recruiting change is the best thing that’s happened in lacrosse the last 10 years. It benefits kids and coaches…it’s not debatable it’s better now…no need for either party to rush a very big decision
It was great for us. Brian loved seeing those schools rack up 9th graders. All those late bloomers, which in my mind is normal development, fell through the cracks so to speak.

Look at Hopkins over the last 7 years. All of those can’t miss 8th and 9th graders turned into overrated college kids who stopped growing at 5’9”.

Reactions: mattkamish
5 inches...wow!

Good luck...sounds like your son is a good player!

Reactions: jreinsdorf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT