ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Wake Forest 11/19/17 6:30PM Game thread

gawd their quick. 6-0 asap, RU. Tyler with 4, Stasha with 2, TO Wake. Other starters Fitz, KK, and Harris.

All 14 players were in already if I want to listen to Brogno. Not sure the incessant substitutions by CVS is working, but who am I to question.

Reactions: rimsky
35-24 half. We are letting them hang around. Let's see what strategy for 2nd brings. Tyler with 15 and hasn't broken a sweat yet.
Edit to add, Ms. Scaife only played 11 minutes.

Last edited:
OK Vivian you just took out all 5 players, and subbed in a new 5. Memo to self....Memo to CVS, and Hobbs for AM.. you MUST put names on the back of these unis even if you use water colors. 45-31 TO.
Edit to add, Hobbs in 1st row playing with his phone, can someone at game nudge him about names.

Last edited:
Reactions: rimsky
OK Vivian you just took out all 5 players, and subbed in a new 5. Memo to self....Memo to CVS, and Hobbs for AM.. you MUST put names on the back of these unis even if you use water colors. 45-31 TO.
I saw somewhere that this is by design - sort of like a line change. Think the intent is to have 2 cohesive units.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
From twitter feed:

9:06 - 3Q | With her jumper just inside the arc - Tyler Scaife is currently tied for eighth place on the all-time scoring leaders list - one more point and she moves past Tanya Hansen (1988-92)

8:27 - 4Q | Tyler Scaife layup to put RU up 58-38 and she moves into eighth all-time in scoring with 1,683 career points!

This is a fun team to watch and very easy to root for! Great intensity all game plus they seem to be enjoying the game and their teammates. It is good to see Vivian coaching the players on the sidelines/bench. Not a finished product yet but will be ready by tournament time.

Edit to add, Hobbs in 1st row playing with his phone, can someone at game nudge him about names.
YES, I believe the men have names on their uni's. What's the big deal with adding names?

All 14 players were in already if I want to listen to Brogno. Not sure the incessant substitutions by CVS is working, but who am I to question.
What a joy to see so many players on the floor. Did CVS re-energize her recruiting? We all recall those short benches with just 8 players, some of whom didn't get regular minutes. Everyone should be going full speed for 40 minutes.

Can someone remind me why Fitzpatrick transferred after 3 yrs at St Joe’s?
Sad she will only be with us for 1 yr.

I saw somewhere that this is by design - sort of like a line change. Think the intent is to have 2 cohesive units.
Exactly. It provides the opportunity to run a press the entire game. Go as hard as you can for five minutes and then we’ll replace you with fresh legs. Seems to be working well.

Have seen this team in their last 3 games and thought this wasn’t close to the way they played against Temple and Charlotte. The press was more effective in the prior 2 games and the turnovers led to more scoring in those games.

Reactions: dmd78 and MADHAT1
You could print out a roster or buy a program.

Reactions: LtCol144
I watched the first 4 games and now know all the players by face/number and the tendencies of some but not all .. they all can shoot, pass and steal

Reactions: LtCol144 and dmd78
It is the choice of CVS to not have names. She believes you play for the name on the front and not the back.
Are you playing for yourself or the school? You can't win a team sport by playing as an individual. It's a message the coach is sending to the players to help foster better team unity. It's equivalent to what the football team did a few years back by having "F.A.M.I.L.Y" on the back of the jersey instead of individual names.

Are you playing for yourself or the school? You can't win a team sport by playing as an individual. It's a message the coach is sending to the players to help foster better team unity. It's equivalent to what the football team did a few years back by having "F.A.M.I.L.Y" on the back of the jersey instead of individual names.
I know that's the symbolism. But I have to point out that I have seen players in nameless jerseys act like the play they just made was the greatest ever and players with their name on their back be complete team players, humble and "get it". I personally prefer names on jerseys so I can easily know who players are. If it takes not putting names on jerseys to make the point of team unity, then something is wrong.

And yes, it is the philosophy of many teams, including UConn.

I know that's the symbolism. But I have to point out that I have seen players in nameless jerseys act like the play they just made was the greatest ever and players with their name on their back be complete team players, humble and "get it". I personally prefer names on jerseys so I can easily know who players are. If it takes not putting names on jerseys to make the point of team unity, then something is wrong.

And yes, it is the philosophy of many teams, including UConn.
Having the luxury of playing D1 football you'll be amazed by how much outside influence there is on a team. The average fan doesn't see it's and if they did it would be mind-boggling. Coaches will go to the extremes to make sure they have a pulse of the team and have them moving in the same direction for one goal. A coach's career depend on 18 to 22 year olds carrying out your goals. It may seem trivial to an outsider, but to someone inside it means the world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT