ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Wisconsin 1/27/24

Not us there’s no other way to sugarcoat this this team stinks
CW should get 1 more year max there are no signs of any improvement this team is unwatchable and lacks in every facet of basketball
22-3 after 1 quarter WOW
Come on guys love to hear what you see through your rose colored glasses!!

I missed the entire 2nd quarter cause computer crashed. I see they scored more than 3 points.

Another day, another loss … only winless team in conference …. Wisconsin was 2-6 … is what it is.

59-55!

Who would have thought after being down 22-3 after 1Q
I just don't understand how and why you can have both.. are they not ready to play? Because that kind of comeback requires a ton of effort. Need it from the get go.

Or the usual message board jinx lol.

I just don't understand how and why you can have both.. are they not ready to play? Because that kind of comeback requires a ton of effort. Need it from the get go.

Or the usual message board jinx lol.

Unfortunately we’ve seen the men do the same thing too many times this year with the slow starts and attempted comebacks.

Women lose 73-62 final

WI center was unstoppable

Unfortunately we’ve seen the men do the same thing too many times this year with the slow starts and attempted comebacks.

Women lose 73-62 final

WI center was unstoppable
I know but I always refrain from boosting the poor results of one program vs. The other. They stand on their own issues.

Reactions: RUonBrain
But on the bright side, she is recruiting some very good players. 2 5-stars coming next year. We need a couple more and at least 2 bigs.

Coquese isn't going anywhere. She is signed up through 2028. Pat Hobbs needs to find $2.425 million to pay Coquese if she is terminated. I don't think Pat wants to take a decision that would require him to search for that money.

I just typed a whole saga, and it didn't get posted. It said "oops we ran into some problems blah, blah etc."
Anyways, we are now the laughing stock of WCBB. Who is going to come play here? Like I posted before even the guru "Raoul" has called us out on his site, not a good thing.
If Hobbs doesn't have the balls to can her.....
Did anyone in D1 BB ever score 3 points in a quarter before?

I just typed a whole saga, and it didn't get posted. It said "oops we ran into some problems blah, blah etc."
Anyways, we are now the laughing stock of WCBB. Who is going to come play here? Like I posted before even the guru "Raoul" has called us out on his site, not a good thing.

Who is going to come play here?

Umm, a 5 star PG and a 4 star forward are 2024 commits.
Do they count?

22-3 after 1 quarter WOW
Come on guys love to hear what you see through your rose colored glasses!!
Except for the first quarter RU played a competitive game, going by the score.
Box score has it looking like Wisconsin's starters played most of the game.
But I didn't see the game so can't be sure if Wisconsin didn't let up a bit and lost enough of their momentum edge so RU could keep up after first quarter was over..

The first quarter score has me debating if I want Quesey to have another year after this ****** season is over.
I give her the rest of this year before giving her another shot or say pack your bags.
But going into the 3rd year of a 6 year contract next season, Hobbs isn't going to bite the bullet and get someone new.

Wisconsin 73-62 Rutgers (Jan 27, 2024) Box Score - ESPN

Looks like we gotta get a new pre-game warmup routine.......and QUICK!

BBBRRUUUTTALL 1st qtr. I figured the center would be a major problem for us, and she made sure that it was worse than we may have expected.

Had to turn away after 1st quarter because of the horrible play on our end. Came back with about 8 min. left in the game and saw we were within striking distance. Clearly, we complete this comeback if not for S. Williams.

Just goes to show how much difference an elite player or two can make on a roster with decent-to-good role players(our situation). Take Williams off that team, it's a cake walk because their role players aren't as good as ours. Take Phelia off of Mich. and we win that one. Owusu is ready to take Penn St to another level. Just a few examples.

We get our elite PG next year, and hopefully a few other needed additions via the portal.

Oh, BTW, Serah Williams could probably go in the first round of the WNBA draft based on her progression and huge potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUonBrain
Amazing how people have lost ALL patience so quickly. Yeah, Coach has been struggling to bring in elite players, but My Goodness!, she has a true point guard coming next year.....and she is ELITE! A solid young wing player also on the way.

We are playing without a true PG right now. We have to be concerned about Lisa hitting a wall at some point soon due to being thrown into the fire right away at PG. Mya just doesn't see the floor well enough at this point. Antonia is our best natural PG, mentally, but needs to strengthen her skills to be effective at the B1G level.

Same comments during the worst times, then disappearing as things start to look better. It never fails. And last I looked.....our attendance has picked up ALOT since the Iowa game. I don't know about a fanbase being decimated. We may be in the midst of an infusion of new fans into the base.

To me, it looks like some of the strategies are working , in terms of attendance. Bringing in the schools has got to be making some new fans of either the team or the experience or both. Either way, the program wins. Also, some mentioned the possible effects Caitlin coming to town could have for boosting our fan numbers going forward. Seems to be the case right now. Kiyomi can't get here fast enough.

Except for the first quarter RU played a competitive game, going by the score.
Box score has it looking like Wisconsin's starters played most of the game.
But I didn't see the game so can't be sure if Wisconsin didn't let up a bit and lost enough of their momentum edge so RU could keep up after first quarter was over..

The first quarter score has me debating if I want Quesey to have another year after this ****** season is over.
I give her the rest of this year before giving her another shot or say pack your bags.
But going into the 3rd year of a 6 year contract next season, Hobbs isn't going to bite the bullet and get someone new.

Wisconsin 73-62 Rutgers (Jan 27, 2024) Box Score - ESPN
Wisconsin is terrible they shot 5-26 from 3 point range and still whooped us i know we made it close at one point but we are just very bad,
I know we have a 5 and 4 star coming in next year but if she doesn’t get another 4 recruits/ transfers we are going to be short handed again and that’s a very bad sign

Amazing how people have lost ALL patience so quickly. Yeah, Coach has been struggling to bring in elite players, but My Goodness!, she has a true point guard coming next year.....and she is ELITE! A solid young wing player also on the way.

We are playing without a true PG right now. We have to be concerned about Lisa hitting a wall at some point soon due to being thrown into the fire right away at PG. Mya just doesn't see the floor well enough at this point. Antonia is our best natural PG, mentally, but needs to strengthen her skills to be effective at the B1G level.

Same comments during the worst times, then disappearing as things start to look better. It never fails. And last I looked.....our attendance has picked up ALOT since the Iowa game. I don't know about a fanbase being decimated. We may be in the midst of an infusion of new fans into the base.

To me, it looks like some of the strategies are working , in terms of attendance. Bringing in the schools has got to be making some new fans of either the team or the experience or both. Either way, the program wins. Also, some mentioned the possible effects Caitlin coming to town could have for boosting our fan numbers going forward. Seems to be the case right now. Kiyomi can't get here fast enough.
It doesn’t mean a damn thing if you don’t win and there’s a good chance we can go 0-20 in the Big!!
That to me is a fire able job although as discussed above Hobbs will not let her go because of the length of the contract he gave her

Amazing…the follow up to a HoF 1000+ win, national finalist team coach should not be this…this is pure abject failure…RU should have been a destination for any coach…any coach, instead this.

At one point RU was an elite program…remarkable cratering…🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: bac2therac
Rutgers is not the laughing stock of women's basketball. Intelligent folks know the rebuilding job Rutgers was facing, they may or may not think Coach Washington is doing a good job at it, but they do understand in general.

Oregon is right now pretty much a laughing stock, doing little with talent; ASU with no talent at all and a coach with good credentials. Some other programs are not doing well either, although I can't say which are laughing stocks.

Reactions: aardvark34
Those of our fanbase who continue thinking keeping it close is a sign of progress are in for a long season. The coach knew going in to 2024 everything had to go right in order to win. We already were shorthanded and lacked at several positions PG and in the middle. Some things we can overcome but there is a pronounced talent gap. Maybe in ‘25?

Smikle was regularly putting up 25 points/game last year as a freshman. With her in the line up we could be a completely different team.

It doesn’t mean a damn thing if you don’t win and there’s a good chance we can go 0-20 in the Big!!
That to me is a fire able job although as discussed above Hobbs will not let her go because of the length of the contract he gave her
When I mention what's coming next season, yes...it's with expectations of seeing marked improvement next year, measured in wins. If we can get the additional recruits or transfers we need on our roster, the expected #of wins goes up.

But, how do you call for her firing before her difference-making recruit(s) get here?? Makes no sense to me. 0-whatever in BIG play is a horrible look and would be duly noted. She needed to have beaten Nwestern, Mich, and this Wisc team, IMO. She can redeem herself if she beats them on the back half of the schedule.

Hobbs and many others on this board were the ones preaching patience for Coquese because it was such a total rebuild of the program. Take the first year to set culture. I was the one with no patience, saying she could use the portal and reload and play to win from Day 1 (Kim Mulky, Shauna Green style).

As we have come to see that Coach has needed time to build back up her clout with recruits, I have come to realize the need for patience. Those who initially said it's gonna take a few years to rebuild this "CVS mess" are now taking my initial stance.

Clearly, next season is the defining one for our coach. Calling for her to be fired at this point is premature. Expecting us to be much more competitive than we have been with no PG is unreasonable, IMO.

Wisconsin is terrible they shot 5-26 from 3 point range and still whooped us i know we made it close at one point but we are just very bad,
I know we have a 5 and 4 star coming in next year but if she doesn’t get another 4 recruits/ transfers we are going to be short handed again and that’s a very bad sign
Here, you are making my point from my above post. Wisconsin is not great at all........w/o Serah Williams. Serah W. whooped us......she was Wisconsin. And she was pretty good from 3 pt range, IIRC.

Let's wait and see-- 1) what Coach W does with her difference maker(s) and 2) if she can bring in the needed talent from the portal.

Last edited:
Smikle was regularly putting up 25 points/game last year as a freshman. With her in the line up we could be a completely different team.

Her status is such a mystery. I will not be surprised if she’s in the portal and playing somewhere else next year.

What is up with Smilke? Does anyone know ?

How is it possible team for 2nd year in a row has a roster with less than 10 bodies in uniform?

Reactions: runrutgersrun
What is up with Smilke? Does anyone know ?

How is it possible team for 2nd year in a row has a roster with less than 10 bodies in uniform?
As they say silence is deafening
CW needs at least 4-5 more for next year or you go in year 3 shorthanded again and that’s totally unacceptable

Reactions: BigEastPhil
When I mention what's coming next season, yes...it's with expectations of seeing marked improvement next year, measured in wins. If we can get the additional recruits or transfers we need on our roster, the expected #of wins goes up.

But, how do you call for her firing before her difference-making recruit(s) get here?? Makes no sense to me. 0-whatever in BIG play is a horrible look and would be duly noted. She needed to have beaten Nwestern, Mich, and this Wisc team, IMO. She can redeem herself if she beats them on the back half of the schedule.

Hobbs and many others on this board were the ones preaching patience for Coquese because it was such a total rebuild of the program. Take the first year to set culture. I was the one with no patience, saying she could use the portal and reload and play to win from Day 1 (Kim Mulky, Shauna Green style).

As we have come to see that Coach has needed time to build back up her clout with recruits, I have come to realize the need for patience. Those who initially said it's gonna take a few years to rebuild this "CVS mess" are now taking my initial stance.

Clearly, next season is the defining one for our coach. Calling for her to be fired at this point is premature. Expecting us to be much more competitive than we have been with no PG is unreasonable, IMO.

Here, you are making my point from my above post. Wisconsin is not great at all........w/o Serah Williams. Serah W. whooped us......she was Wisconsin. And she was pretty good from 3 pt range, IIRC.

Let's wait and see-- 1) what Coach W does with her difference maker(s) and 2) if she can bring in the needed talent from the portal.
She did pick up a couple of decent players from the portal for this years team. Hopefully we don’t lose any to the portal and pick up a couple of more to complement the two incoming frosh

Reactions: RUcrazee

1. She had two years to put together a full roster and hasn't come close.
2. She still needs 4-5 more players to have
a full roster next year.
3. She might go 0-20 in conference. Can you name a P5 coach who went 0fer a conference and kept their job?

WBB is the new WVB
Might go winless in conference
Can any single program step up this year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT