ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers architect on historic campus buildings

i would be great if they could better intergrate the historic Olde Queens, Winants Hall and the surrounding campus into everyday student life at Rutgers, instead of having them be seen as picturesque museum pieces that are the domain of RU administrators

As I've said several times: RU should hold seminars or other small classes in Old Queens and/or Winants. That would give many students exposure to buildings they never see.

I'm sure some of the admin stuff could be moved elsewhere.

Unfortunately, the number of administration bigwigs seems to increase every year, and of course they all think they need to be close to the seat of power in Old Queens, so if anything it's probably getting harder to do what Korbermeister and lawmatt78 suggest.

BTW, my impression is that the historic buildings at Princeton (those that form the initial quadrangle) aren't being used by students either (I may well be wrong.) But the rest of the campus is much more in harmony with the historic buildings.

I'm surprised that Winants hall needs structural work. It underwent a two-year-long restoration/renovation beginning in 1990.

If I remember correctly, major structural work was done then.

Two great points by Korbermeister and lawmatt78.

I would have loved to have had a sitdown as an undergrad in one of those historic campus buildings.

Korbermeister, lawmatt78, and e5fdny all have a valid point. It would make sense to host some type of senior seminars in the main conference room of Winants. These could be capstone courses of some type. Since the BOG and BOT as well as several P&O Committees for University Alumni Relations and, IIRC, the Foundation, the scheduling may be a bit dicey. The problem with holding courses in Olde Queens is simply the entire building has been taken over by offices.

Originally posted by e5fdny:

Two great points by Korbermeister and lawmatt78.

I would have loved to have had a sitdown as an undergrad in one of those historic campus buildings.
As an incoming Frosh, I remember taking a placement exam for Latin in the Geology Hall classroom (located at the rear, behind the museum). I ended up taking American Studies courses as my "mini", and never did take any Latin courses - I always wondered if Geology was used for those classes.
That was the one and only time I ever set foot in any of those historic buildings, except for walking through Old Queens at commencement..

It would be nice to have those buildings be more of a part of student life. I would rather the BOG & BOT met in some bland office building and reserve Winnants for some type of class or seminar activity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT