ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers At Southern Scuffle

That's 8 freshman and the best one has been hurt all season. It is likely going to be a tough year. But the future is really bright.

Of all the years to host the Big Tens, this had to be the worst.
I get your point but this might be the perfect season to host...Were a couple years/long time away of contending for a Title..We have a line-up filled with guys that are going to be on the fence of Qualifying for an NCAA Berth. Most are going to need to have a good B1G Tournament. The wrestle-backs, 5th and 7th place matches will be the difference on who qualifies. Having Home mat advantage and the RU crowd is going to be a bonus for our team this season. JMO

This team always wrestles it’s best at the end of the season. I wouldn’t worry about it now. We all knew this was going to be a one step back for two steps forward type of season.

1. Nick Piccininni - Oklahoma State
2. Nic Aguilar - Rutgers
3. Sidney Flores - Air Force
4. Gabriel Townsell - Stanford
5. Jakob Camacho - North Carolina St
6. Luke Werner - Lock Haven
7. Michael McGee - Old Dominion - Un
8. Zurich Storm - Campbell - Un

1. Micky Phillippi - Pittsburgh
2. Cam Sykora - North Dakota State
3. Mosha Schwartz - Northern Colorado
4. Chance Rich - Cal State Bakersfield
5. Sammy Alvarez - Rutgers
6. D.J. Fehlman - Lock Haven
7. Devan Turner - Oregon State
8. Chandler Olson - Drexel

1. Kaden Gfeller- Oklahoma State
2. Tariq Wilson- North Carolina State
3. Real Woods- Stanford
4. Kyle Shoop- Lock Haven
5. Cole Matthews- Pittsburgh
6. Evan Cheek- Cleveland St
7. Cody Trybus- Navy
8. Lenny Petersen- Air Force

1. Boo Lewallen- Oklahoma State
2. Requir Van der Merwe- Stanford
3. Gerard Angelo- Rutgers
4. Russell Rohlfing- Cal State Bakersfield
5. Andrew Alirez- Northern Colorado
6. Tanner Smith- Chattanooga
7. Colston DiBlasi- George Mason
8. Josh FInesilver- Duke - Un

1. Hayden Hidlay - North Carolina State
2. Jesse Dellavecchia - Rider
3. Matt Zovistoski - Appalachian State
4. Taleb Rahmani - Pittsburgh
5. Alex Klucker - Lock Haven
6. Kolby Ho - George Mason
7. Hunter Willits - Oregon State - Un
8. Michael Vanbrill - Rutgers

1. Shane Griffith - Stanford
2. Tanner Skidgel - Navy
3. Thomas Bullard - North Carolina St
4. Jake Wentzel - Pittsburgh
5. Andrew Fogarty - North Dakota St
6. Travis Wittlake - Oklahoma St
7. Connor Flynn - Missouri
8. Ebed Jarrell - Drexel

1. Joe Smith - Oklahoma State
2. Joe Grello - Rutgers
3. Spencer Carey - Navy
4. Dean Sherry - Rider
5. Daniel Bullard - North Carolina State
6. Carter Starocci - Penn State Unattached
7. Neal Richards - VMI
8. Gregg Harvey - Pittsburgh

1. Trent Hidlay - North Carolina State
2. Lou Deprez - Binghamton
3. Nino Bonaccorsi - Pittsburgh
4. Matthew Waddell - Chattanooga
5. George Walton - Rider
6. Corey Hazel - Lock Haven
7. Alan Clothier - Northern Colorado
8. Anthony Montalvo - Oklahoma State

https://gomocs.com/news/2019/12/30/2020-southern-scuffle-pre-seeds.aspx

Some decent Seeds for RU. Didn't Rich beat alvarez earlier in the year? Hoping to see that match again.

Best possible seeds for Aguilar and Grello, sets them up for a good tournament run especially since Nic already beat Flores this year.

1. Dakota Geer - Oklahoma State
2. Nathan Traxler - Stanford
3. Nick Reenan - North Carolina State
4. Noah Adams - West Virginia
5. Jacob Seely - Northern Colorado
6. Jordan Pagano - Rutgers
7. Jacob Cardenas - Finger Lakes
8. Ethan Laird - Rider

1. Demetrius Thomas - Pittsburgh
2. Gannon Gremmel - Iowa State
3. Cary Miller - Appalachian St
4. Brandon Metz - North Dakota St
5. Dalton Robertson - Northern Colorado
6. Sean O'Malley - Drexel
7. Chris Beck - VMI
8. Kayne Hutchison - Air Force

I am anxious to see Real Woods, watched him last year and was very impressed by him in his RS year.

Some decent Seeds for RU. Didn't Rich beat alvarez earlier in the year? Hoping to see that match again.

Yup, he pinned Sammy late in the match. Sammy kept trying to go upper body and got absolutely mauled with that approach. Within the first minute he was down 6-0 after he was tossed on his back. He battled back with his normal game but then tried it again late in the 3rd only to get pinned.

Reactions: Les Gerson
Hopefully get to see Alvarez get a shot at revenge.

Collucci unseeded is surprising
O'Malley pre seeded at 6th sticks out as being real crazy to me. Colucci has similar results to Beck and Hutchinson but all 3 have better results then O'Malley. I think we see this seeded differently when actual seeds come out. Unless Colucci is a late scratch that we don't know about.

O'Malley pre seeded at 6th sticks out as being real crazy to me. Colucci has similar results to Beck and Hutchinson but all 3 have better results then O'Malley. I think we see this seeded differently when actual seeds come out. Unless Colucci is a late scratch that we don't know about.
Confirmed Colucci is a scratch, I don't know the reason.

One of the top recruits P4P coming out of high school. Kid is absolutely legit and fun to watch.
So, we could say that he's Real legit then, eh?

giphy.gif

In all fairness to Koleszar, I follow high school wrestling NONE, so I also couldn't tell you one big high school recruit over the last ten or more years, aside from knowing about them after the fact. This year included, and, yes, that includes my home state of Iowa.

I never even heard about Thomsen (the Nebraska one) and Teske until people were talking about their upcoming match on another forum two years ago.

Reactions: koleszar
In all fairness to Koleszar, I follow high school wrestling NONE, so I also couldn't tell you one big high school recruit over the last ten or more years, aside from knowing about them after the fact. This year included, and, yes, that includes my home state of Iowa.

I never even heard about Thomsen (the Nebraska one) and Teske until people were talking about their upcoming match on another forum two years ago.

I don't follow high school that much, but watched the Princeton open last year where he won that as a RS freshman and the southern scuffle where he placed second

Reactions: Ban Basketball
Rutgers wrestling at Southern Scuffle: Breaking down each weight class, what to watch for

Rutgers wrestling will begin the new year with a bang.

The Scarlet Knights will ring in 2020 at one of the nation’s top in-season tournaments. Rutgers is one of several big names set to compete at the Southern Scuffle, which runs Jan. 1-2 in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Teams can send more than a 10-man lineup to the event. Rutgers will have 16 wrestlers in the tournament: No. 9 Nicolas Aguilar and Malcolm Robinson (125), No. 13 Sammy Alvarez (133), JoJo Aragona and Zach Firestone (141), No. 23 Gerard Angelo (149), Mike VanBrill and Robert Kanniard (157), Brett Donner and Jackson Turley (165), No. 10 Joe Grello and Willie Scott (174), Billy Janzer (184), No. 16 Jordan Pagano and Matt Correnti (197) and Christian Colucci at heavyweight. Kanniard will be unattached.

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2019/12/...down-each-weight-class-what-to-watch-for.html

I don't follow high school that much, but watched the Princeton open last year where he won that as a RS freshman and the southern scuffle where he placed second
I KNEW I knew the name; it was from the Scuffle last year, but I'd have had no idea that he was still in high school. Kind of like Corey Jantzen and the Midlands.

Best possible seeds for Aguilar and Grello, sets them up for a good tournament run especially since Nic already beat Flores this year.
#7 McGee ODU was 29-6 last year and R12.Hes Redshirting and doesn't any matches so not sure how his shape will be.

Alvarez Advances to 2020 Southern Scuffle Semifinals

No. 5-seed Sammy Alvarez (133) advanced to the championship semifinals as Rutgers wrestling closed out the first day of the 2020 Southern Scuffle on Wednesday in Chattanooga, Tennessee on New Years Day. Eight Scarlet Knights (seven attached & one unattached) remain alive in the tournament, with action set to resume Thursday morning at 10 a.m. inside McKenzie Arena.

https://scarletknights.com/news/202...nces-to-2020-southern-scuffle-semifinals.aspx

Alvarez Claims 133-Pound Southern Scuffle Title

No. 5-seed Sammy Alvarez claimed an individual title at 133 pounds to highlight action for Rutgers wrestling at the 2020 Southern Scuffle on Thursday in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The true freshman picked off two top-10 opponents during the tournament and used a takedown in the final 20 seconds against No. 2-seed Cam Sykora (NDSU) to earn a 5-4 decision in his championship bout.

https://scarletknights.com/news/2020/1/2/alvarez-claims-133-pound-southern-scuffle-title.aspx

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT