ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports Rutgers Athletics Launches R Edge

Emphasis should be about succeeding in the classroom where long term wealth can be achieved. Not how to monetize their 4 quick years of game.

Reactions: bac2therac
Emphasis should be about succeeding in the classroom where long term wealth can be achieved. Not how to monetize their 4 quick years of game.
That will continue to be the emphasis of the university but Rutgers is wisely embracing the NIL opportunities for its student-athletes.

I say wisely, because the schools that don't embrace this opportunity
its student-athletes will absolutely have that used against them in recruiting.

NIL must be part of every official visit and unofficial visit that isn't just a kid coming to see a game.

That’s not the message here at all. It’s more like - “now that NIL is allowed, the university views it as an opportunity (if not their responsibility) to ensure that the educational elements of NIL are incorporated into the academic experience. Olympic athletes are going to benefit from this too. If the school were smart they’d try to develop the structured program in a way that encourages / promotes opportunities for regular students to get involved with managing the NIL business ventures. If they could pull that off and immerse a vast group of students in a hands on learning experience that teaches marketing, branding, corporate tax, governance, and regulatory reporting that would be a home run for them. Easier said than done though for the better athletes. I’m sure there will be professionals lining up to take on those responsibilities in exchange for a cut of the proceeds.

Bottom line is that with NIL Rutgers was forced to do this. I think there is an obligation to help them learn about taxation and other things.

This is really about finding the best avenues to get kids paid. Now that is legal to pay players, as long as you stay within the NIL boundaries we have a new barrier to success.

Reactions: bac2therac
Bottom line is that with NIL Rutgers was forced to do this. I think there is an obligation to help them learn about taxation and other things.

This is really about finding the best avenues to get kids paid. Now that is legal to pay players, as long as you stay within the NIL boundaries we have a new barrier to success.

Absolutely - RU was forced to do this, which is why it doesn’t seem fair to me for alum to be threatening to cut off support over it.

Based on the school’s situation though, it’s hard to argue they aren’t doing the right thing. Like it or not, NIL is now a part of NCAA sports so may as well use it as a means to building an academic program that teaches about the different elements of entrepreneurship.

Absolutely - RU was forced to do this, which is why it doesn’t seem fair to me for alum to be threatening to cut off support over it.

Based on the school’s situation though, it’s hard to argue they aren’t doing the right thing. Like it or not, NIL is now a part of NCAA sports so may as well use it as a means to building an academic program that teaches about the different elements of entrepreneurship.
Donating to amateur sports is different than donating to professional sports. Personal decision, don’t expect everyone to agree.

I have been called naive (rightfully so) when it comes to the dirty part of college sports. The thought that players will be educated in entrepreneurship in this process is also naive. The onus will ultimately be on the athletic program to get players paid for the majority of the $ players will receive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT