ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Baseball Heads to Purdue for Three-Game Set

Ugh. Not a good start to the series. RU loses 6-1

Last edited:
We seem to still lack arms. Bats appear to rely too much on long ball. Purdue seems to be better coached fundamentally all around.

Reactions: biazza38
The one run they scored was also without a reasonably hard hit ball. There just seems to be a team wide hitting slump. Sweeney and Love are really struggling. Still early in this game though.

I can’t believe that Marshall isn’t seeing the mount at all, barely being removed from a no-hitter.

Two run home run by Sweeney makes it 5–3 in the middle of the 4th. That was just the guy I wanted to see break out.

5-3 now. Only the 4th.
Purdue’s record isn’t very good.
20-21 (9-7)

Believe RU can grab this one after another slow start.

Top of the fifth saw them get runners on first and second with noone out and Lasko and Brito coming up – – came up empty.

Another runner left in scoring position in the top of the sixth. Still 5–3.

Purdue tacks on one more in the bottom of the seventh. French was very lucky to only allow one run as every single batter made very solid contact except the one that walked. 6-3. Need to turn this around.

Horrendous top of the eighth. Lasko leads off with a single but it is followed with another double play. Then our left-handed hitting power hitter tried to bunt his way on with two out and it is not even close. Crazy call at that point.

6 –7–8 coming up in the top of the ninth. Come on guys.

Game over – – left one runner on second base after a Maximus Martin pinch-hit double with one out. But at least there were a couple of hard hit balls that inning. That’s progress.

If you knew nothing about these two teams, you never would’ve guessed that RU is the more talented team. Purdue has just looked much better in pretty much every facet of the game.

Time to just look to make the top 8 and get in the playoff.

This team continues to underperform when they play someone half decent.
They could not have asked for an easier conference schedule
No Iowa, Indiana, or Nebraska and they somehow might miss the B1G tournament.

No pitching.
A lot of big swingers, none of whom at categorize as “he’s gonna hit a line drive somewhere”
I just look at numbers and see them very near the top of the league in ERA (3rd) and most hitting statistics. The record is far from what you might’ve guessed by the numbers alone. What do you attribute the seeming under performance to?

PS— the last four games they really have not been making much good contact

Last edited:
I just look at numbers and see them very near the top of the league in ERA (3rd) and most hitting statistics. The record is far from what you might’ve guessed by the numbers alone. What do you attribute the seeming under performance to?

Playing poorly against competent teams. That’s it. They play well against the Northwesterns of the world, but swept by Uconn, lost 2 against MSU, lost 2 against UMD, probably gonna get swept today. Every series that mattered, they played mediocre. The quality of play plummets when they play respectable competition. The hitters are not as good as the stats indicate. And the pitching staff is well, I don’t have to say anything else.
They have the easiest conference schedule they could have possibly asked for. No Iowa, Indiana, or Nebraska, and they might miss the B1G tournament. The team is mediocre.

Biazza has it right.
Thriving on weak pitching and lower level hitting teams

And there you have it from a former MLB player… Small ball is a forgotten art it seems. Everyone wants to be “ the BOOMER” on this team. Just hit a single or get a walk .

No pitching.
A lot of big swingers, none of whom Id’d categorize as “he’s gonna hit a line drive somewhere”
I thought Lasko was more of a make contact line drive guy who could also hit the ball out of park. Wasn't he supposed to be a high MLB draft pick coming into this season?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT