ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers basketball getting raw deal against Michigan State? Big Ten responds

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Reactions: scarlet night
Well at least this is the end of the current contract. Doesn't appear that they're going to renew, either.

Raw deal! What a joke!!

Some posters owe some other posters a huge apology.

So we may never make up giving away a home game and the only team that this happened to three times is RU?

And it can only hurt RU’s NET?

Can anyone with a straight face truly believe that RU wasn’t royally hosed by B1G and NCAA with this game?

Some things in this sport are such obvious fixes. Like the Ohio State game, and like this. I don’t get why it’s so hard to just do the right thing, and I don’t get why this stuff happens to Rutgers disproportionately.

Screw the B1G official quoted in this article. “That’ll have to be part of the discussion” is such a cop out way to avoid the simple obvious answer staring him in the face.

“Just the way the logistics fell”

We now have three games away from home in 7 days. MSU has a week off to prepare for RU.

That’s just the way the logistics fell? Placing RU at such a competitive disadvantage. Shame on the B1G!!! Such nonsense. A joke. Fix was in. Never again!

Raw deal! What a joke!!

So we may never make up giving away a home game and the only team that this happened to three times is RU?

Can anyone with a straight face truly believe that RU wasn’t royally hosed by B1G and NCAA with this game?
No one owes you an apology. The facts changed yesterday.

Reactions: dconifer
No one owes you an apology. The facts changed yesterday.
Lol!!! Icing on the cake. Obvious lots of people dropped the ball on this last minute add on game which was a bad idea from the start. We didn’t know contract was up either and in theory RU might never make up this lost home game. B1G didn’t know the NET effects? Isn’t that your job? Everybody should have known.

MSU getting significant benefits.
And the detriments suffered by RU are even greater.

Pretty clear this game was ramroaded down RU’s throat without full knowledge and was a very poor idea. Apologies are in order.

Last edited:
Oh, and ya gotta love Jerry Carino. He manages to write these articles without taking any gratuitous potshots at RU.

Reactions: ChasRC69
I think the novelty of Rutgers taking up 2/3 of MSG is a good thing, every 2-3 years. I get that there’s a disadvantage, but I think it’s slight and outweighed by the benefits.
Plus, it’s just one more thing to help raise the profile of Rutgers.

BUT…for all those concerned about Rutgers getting the short end of the stick, there’s a simple solution.
Have MSG host the Big Ten tournament every third or fourth year!!!

Hey Mr. B10, if you sincerely want to make Rutgers whole, there’s your solution.

I think the novelty of Rutgers taking up 2/3 of MSG is a good thing, every 2-3 years. I get that there’s a disadvantage, but I think it’s slight and outweighed by the benefits.
Plus, it’s just one more thing to help raise the profile of Rutgers.

BUT…for all those concerned about Rutgers getting the short end of the stick, there’s a simple solution.

Hey Mr. B10, if you sincerely want to make Rutgers whole, there’s your solution.
Wisconsin game crowd was listed at less than 9000. No better than RAC. 2/3 empty v. Packed RAC.

Reactions: SharkLaser
I would love RU's chances if the B1Gtourny was at MSG this year. Purdue RU final with 90% RU fans. Purdue would be crying their eyes out.

Reactions: goru7

Would love this, but due to MSG's tie with the Big East Tournament, we'd have to play a week early like we did in 2018 which condenses the regular season schedule.

I'm all for it though, loved the BTT at MSG

We now have three games away from home in 7 days. MSU has a week off to prepare for RU.
HOLY SHYTE WE KNOW, WE KNOW, WE KNOW!!!!

...BUT it's 3 games in EIGHT, not "7," days. You either include Game 1, tomorrow, or you don't. If you include it then it's "a game at MSG (with 10K+ Rutgers fans) then 2 road games in EIGHT days." The 4th(MSU),5th, 6th, 7th (at IU), 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th (at Illini). You can't include all 3 games in the "set" without including each day the games are being played.

Thank you my friend!

Last edited:
Just tired of all the whining. If we lose, it will be the refs fault too. Neutral court, evenly matched. Revenge game. Focus should be on the game, not always how we are getting hosed.
As well all know, whining about whining makes one a far better poster than those who whine in the first place.

Raw deal! What a joke!!

I thought you made a post saying that you liked it that the game is at MSG. Am I confusing you with another poster?

HOLY SHYTE WE KNOW, WE KNOW, WE KNOW!!!!

...BUT it's 3 games in EIGHT, not "7," days. You either include Game 1, tomorrow, or you don't. If you include it then it's "a game at MSG (with 10K+ Rutgers fans) then 2 road games in EIGHT days." The 4th(MSU),5th, 6th, 7th (at IU), 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th (at Illini). You can't include all 3 games in the "set" without including each day the games are being played.

Thank you my friend!
Really? That’s what you are going with? Lol. Feb 4 to Feb 11. Three games. Knock yourself out if you want to make that distinction. Lol

Reactions: SharkLaser
The RU-Wisconsin game at MSG was in Pike's first season (2016-17)... highly doubt the fact the RAC would have been packed.
Lost that game in OT. I believe we win it at the RAC. That’s the crucial factor. Wasn’t Eddie Jordan’s best win over Wiscy at the RAC?

The RU-Wisconsin game at MSG was in Pike's first season (2016-17)... highly doubt the fact the RAC would have been packed.
Rutgers-Michigan in 2020 was 13,127. I think that's a better comparable to estimate off of. Based on ticketmaster right now, the entire 100s will be full, the mid-court 200s behind the benches (side tv cameras see) will be 100% full, and the 200s on the opposite side of the benches will be 50% full. 200s behind the baskets I am going to guess were not sold.

The question is how many of those seats are pulling for Rutgers? If that # approaches 70-75% that's going to be a pretty good environment.

Really? That’s what you are going with? Lol. Feb 4 to Feb 11. Three games. Knock yourself out if you want to make that distinction. Lol
Well it IS 3 in 8, not 7, that's all lol! This IS a (very good for us) difference.

Rutgers-Michigan in 2020 was 13,127. I think that's a better comparable to estimate off of. Based on ticketmaster right now, the entire 100s will be full, the mid-court 200s behind the benches (side tv cameras see) will be 100% full, and the 200s on the opposite side of the benches will be 50% full. 200s behind the baskets I am going to guess were not sold.

The question is how many of those seats are pulling for Rutgers? If that # approaches 70-75% that's going to be a pretty good environment.
Anyone guess the attendance for the game?

I don't know, my post there is sarcastic anyway. When people complain about something, at least that is on topic. When people complain about the complaining that is far more annoying imo.
Ditto! ;-)

It is Bull Shit, but at least this absolves Hobbs. Mr. TV and others on here assured us it was RU's decision to give up a home game to play at MSG. Clearly, that is not the case.

Its alot easier for peeps to just snuggle under a blanket and grab the remote

The whole idea of Super Saturday is a joke

Noon games lmfao...very small time by the Big 10

Where is hockey or wrestling?

Yup. Noon start time is the problem. If the game was late afternoon or evening it would really be a much better event. Dinner and a game - Bar and a game. Breakfast and a game - not so much!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT