ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Rutgers Basketball lands Princeton transfer forward Zach Martini

Oskar, Martini and this cat on the perimeter and the lane is wide open for Dylan and Ace to go to work. The Creighton coach might even be jealous.

Reactions: RUChoppin
no idea. Was refuting the idea that Ivy and other elite college grads don’t often go to big public grad schools.

So in other words, neither Martini nor Acuff are what we need to compete. Agree.

We need three players better than who we’ve brought in. God help us.

We only have 2 available scholarships.

Assuming we get a starting center - can only bring in a G or a F. Unless Oskar leaves.

Reactions: LeapinLou
These two are complementary players that make up a winning strategy. They will compliment Dylan and Ace. Now we need a center and another guard, and this team will be really good next year.’

Assuming we get a starting center - can only bring in a G or a F. Unless Oskar leaves.
Even more reason these two shouldnt have been primary targets. I hope Acuff and Martini arent starters. Better use of NIL would have been to use these add on $s on a 5.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Eagleton96
Reading the Carino article makes me much happier with Martini coming to RU. He's a glue guy, doesn't care about getting a ton of shots or if he starts vs. comes off the bench, and just wants to help his team win. I think we are a better program tonight than we were this morning because he's coming.

Pieces falling in place. RAC will be electric next year. If you watched Dylan last night, he was just unbelievably good and will make everyone on the floor better. The last 2 additions are proven, we are moving to have a solid 8-9 person rotation. Ron H. was the person you wanted with the ball in his hands at crunch time. Dylan might be even better than his brother come crunch time. WOW

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Love the article. I haven’t watched much of this kid but definitely encouraged by the story abouthim taking that charge. Certain things don’t show up in the stat book. It sounds like he plays defense, which, if true, makes him a good get in my book. I was picturing on Oskar type who just hit more 3s but he sounds more physical than that. He didn’t grab a lot of rebounds but that could be because he was playing out of position at the 5.

We bid you adieu and farewell Mr.Palmquist, let’s free up another spot

Looks like Martini can be a three-and-d option at the PF spot and could force defenses to pull a big to the perimeter and open up the paint. He may be a 4th/5th option to score, but the threat of him out there could make things easier for our guards - and give them an outlet to pass to.

His rebounding isn't great, which isn't ideal. He also doesn't create his own offense or have any assists or steals to speak of. He's a good FT shooter but doesn't get to the line.

Teams with star freshmen need vets, though, and from Carino's article he certainly seems like an easy guy to root for.

Reactions: redking
Who knows if this is BS or not.. But maybe the goat has one more year left in him. Hes worthy of a spot

I still say the same thing, let’s free up another spot and have Oskar move on. I wanted as much gone as possible from last season’s roster, we may end up only bringing back 3 guys from last year, that is mission accomplished in my view. Would have preferred the 3 we kept were JWill, JMike, and Gavin (knew Cliff was gone) but what are you gonna do…..I like how aggressive RU has been. I said it at season’s end and I’ll say it again, hit the portal early, hit the portal hard and hit the portal as often as possible for new players. We had a ton of dead weight last season, with the incoming freshmen and hopefully a few more additions we are going to be looking at a completely different team next year.

Reactions: Kn0wledge
A lot. The big universities often have more and stronger graduate academic programs than the smaller, albeit elite, undergrad schools.
I've seen it many times also, especially for PhD programs - we had more than a few in our eng'g/science areas at Merck who graduated from top universities and then got their PhD's at Rutgers - of course proximity was a big factor, but it's not like it was a bad career move for these folks.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Looks like Martini can be a three-and-d option at the PF spot and could force defenses to pull a big to the perimeter and open up the paint. He may be a 4th/5th option to score, but the threat of him out there could make things easier for our guards - and give them an outlet to pass to.

His rebounding isn't great, which isn't ideal. He also doesn't create his own offense or have any assists or steals to speak of. He's a good FT shooter but doesn't get to the line.

Teams with star freshmen need vets, though, and from Carino's article he certainly seems like an easy guy to root for.
If Martini is a plus defender I like this soooo much more. I don't expect him to be though. Citing Martini shutting down a 7 footer isn't too relevant if he's guarding athletic 4's in the B1G. It shows his versatility to play some small ball 5 if needed which is a nice plus though

Wolf who people wanted played vs Princeton. Shot 0-8 with Martini guarding him.
To be fair to Wolf though, 2 weeks earlier when Princeton played at Yale, Wolf shot 9-15 for 21 points and had 12 rebounds, while Martini was held to 3 points on 1-7 shooting and had 3 rebounds. So I guess it evened out…

Love the article. I haven’t watched much of this kid but definitely encouraged by the story abouthim taking that charge. Certain things don’t show up in the stat book. It sounds like he plays defense, which, if true, makes him a good get in my book. I was picturing on Oskar type who just hit more 3s but he sounds more physical than that. He didn’t grab a lot of rebounds but that could be because he was playing out of position at the 5.
I'll say this about Oskar, he may be a perimeter player, but he has no compunction about mixing it up. Dude has a chip on his shoulder.

oh boy dunk GIF
Excited Ric Flair GIF

Per Jerry's great article, he's graduating from Princeton with an English degree& is coming to RU to get an MBA from the business school
That’s great !
I assume the number of Princeton graduates with rutgers MBA’s would be an easy number to track !
Very impressive resume this guy will have at 23

Reactions: runrutgersrun
That’s great !
I assume the number of Princeton graduates with rutgers MBA’s would be an easy number to track !
Very impressive resume this guy will have at 23

Well, he is the first Princeton player to transfer to Rutgers in the modern era. So I'm guessing the total number of Princeton ->Rutgers MBAs is very very small.

Well, he is the first Princeton player to transfer to Rutgers in the modern era. So I'm guessing the total number of Princeton ->Rutgers MBAs is very very small.

Safe to assume that the number of PU grads is small compared to other college grads and that the # of PU grads that played basketball seeking grad degrees at RU is even smaller.

That being said I know a PU grad that got his MBA at RU. He didn’t play basketball though. As they say: it’s all relative.

GO RU

Reactions: MrsScrew
I think this is EXACTLY what we need on so many fronts.

I think/hope the intangibles could outweigh what he does on the court. He will take charges, he doesn't need shots, he has won NCAA games, he is old and mature, he has been immersed in Princeton's offense and understands concepts.

I joke how bad MartinELLi is on NW, but they made it to the NCAAs with him because Collins understood with Bo Buie and his high usage he didn't need the 3/4 to provide offense. Needed a glue guy that did everything else.

you shouldn't know who these guys are and should watch Bloomberg if you have to watch morning TV.
I’m very familiar with Bloomberg TV and all the rest of ‘em. I do like to laugh at Kernen when he keeps misreporting what disposable real wages have been doing for the past 18 months though. He’s a laugh riot.
Disposable real wages are higher than they were pre-pandemic and have been for some time but he’s too rich and lazy to double check.🙄
But how about this Martini guy? He plays my style of ball so I can relate but he’s 9 inches taller so he’s way more effective than I am.

Last edited:
Reactions: runrutgersrun
A lot. The big universities often have more and stronger graduate academic programs than the smaller, albeit elite, undergrad schools.
While Princeton's Graduate School is certainly elite, it is actually very small. Rutgers offers many programs that aren't available at Princeton.

The two universities also have an undergraduate exchange program in which students can register for courses at the other institution. I'm not sure how Rutgers students take courses at Princeton but there are a number of Princeton undergrads that head in the other direction to take advantage of courses at Rutgers that Princeton doesn't offer.

I think this is EXACTLY what we need on so many fronts.

I think/hope the intangibles could outweigh what he does on the court. He will take charges, he doesn't need shots, he has won NCAA games, he is old and mature, he has been immersed in Princeton's offense and understands concepts.

I joke how bad MartinELLi is on NW, but they made it to the NCAAs with him because Collins understood with Bo Buie and his high usage he didn't need the 3/4 to provide offense. Needed a glue guy that did everything else.

Does the everything else include defense and rebounds?

2.7rpg in nearly 30mpg doesn’t seem like a player I would have thought had you excited.
Plus it sounds like he isn’t great defensively?

Note - GG was 2.2rpg in only 18mpg.

Reactions: Scangg
He was on a unit that was 25th in DREB%. I realize rebounding numbers are NOT adjusted for opponent.

Caden Pierce DREB% was 27.3%
Xavian Lee was 20.4%
back up C Collins was 28.5%

Martini was a microscopic 8.4%

I can gather Martini couldn't beat out Pierce and Lee for boards.

Hopefully when asked to be a primary or secondary rebounder his numbers will go up a lot.

To answer your question or comment on your point.....I suppose a legitimate concern

I suppose someone looking at it from the opposite glass empty angle would say how much better of an upgrade can we EXPECT over Oskar.

So now we need Rutgers to come up with it's own cocktail & we'll have
"____ Martini. The official cocktail of Rutgers Basketball"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT