ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Rutgers Basketball offers Top 25 in-state guard Jayden Hodge

We just lost badly at home by 15 . You think this player has not had someone in his ear this morning saying . Are you still thinking about Rutgers?

After reading that article, if I was a Nova fan I'd be penciling him in for my 2026 class.

Having said that...come to RU!

Reactions: darkcheck
We just lost badly at home by 15 . You think this player has not had someone in his ear this morning saying . Are you still thinking about Rutgers?
Do you think the season Nova is having is having an effect on him and his brother? Nova is in worse shape than RU if your going on single season and single games.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I can almost promise you that did not happen. Most recruits don't care about a single game, let alone a single season.
Rich this thinking is not based on 1 game from say last night. It is a composite of what has gone on all year for the most part. True I had not been to a game for 4 years and I was a longtime season ticket holder. Made a prediction ( jokingly) of us losing to PSU. Not because I wanted to lose but simply because we are lacking at the position you have to absolutely have in order to win games. Give me 3 proficient guards and we are probably 15-5 maybe better today.I know I’m an old man but I have some knowledge about how the recruiting system ( sans NIL ) works. I also was a good athlete in several sports.

Do you think the season Nova is having is having an effect on him and his brother? Nova is in worse shape than RU if your going on single season and single games.
No … what I’m saying is someone will be talking to him about his OTHER options.

No … what I’m saying is someone will be talking to him about his OTHER options.
There’s always someone talking. But as Richie said one game doesn’t have an effect.multi year downward trend would have an effect.
Don’t be surprised if Nova head coach isn’t there next year. Wife went to nova and he wasn’t a popular choice to begin with most fans. And his results have been lackluster.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Rich this thinking is not based on 1 game from say last night. It is a composite of what has gone on all year for the most part. True I had not been to a game for 4 years and I was a longtime season ticket holder. Made a prediction ( jokingly) of us losing to PSU. Not because I wanted to lose but simply because we are lacking at the position you have to absolutely have in order to win games. Give me 3 proficient guards and we are probably 15-5 maybe better today.I know I’m an old man but I have some knowledge about how the recruiting system ( sans NIL ) works. I also was a good athlete in several sports.
I know what's gone on all year, hell I've watched it just like the rest of you guys, but I can assure one season rarely effects a kids recrutiment.

Rich …yes in most cases. I do have long time somewhat younger friend , who played D1 level basketball who was also AAU connected. So I understand your point about this player and I would love to have him come. This however is very concerning now and the level we are playing at. Think about it for a moment how a 15 point home loss looks to not the kid but those close to the players.Family, coaches and peers. Even if we were to win 8 - 9 more games we still would be only a bubble team to some. Well guess we’ll have to win the B1G post season.

Rich …yes in most cases. I do have long time somewhat younger friend , who played D1 level basketball who was also AAU connected. So I understand your point about this player and I would love to have him come. This however is very concerning now and the level we are playing at. Think about it for a moment how a 15 point home loss looks to not the kid but those close to the players.Family, coaches and peers. Even if we were to win 8 - 9 more games we still would be only a bubble team to some. Well guess we’ll have to win the B1G post season.
All eyes are on next season where they have the No. 2 and No. 3 recruits in the country coming in. I agree in terms of the team in general, yes it's concerning there is zero offense, but recruiting has nothing to do with this year's team. As I stated above, there is close to zero chance that anyone even mentioned the Rutgers game last night to the kid unless he was in attendance, which he was not. Recruiting is a long form game and one single game or a single season doesn't hurt much at all in terms of recruiting.

Cool thing is - if we were able to land him. Gotta think his brother may be in play, to transfer here. Could get a 2 for 1

All eyes are on next season where they have the No. 2 and No. 3 recruits in the country coming in. I agree in terms of the team in general, yes it's concerning there is zero offense, but recruiting has nothing to do with this year's team. As I stated above, there is close to zero chance that anyone even mentioned the Rutgers game last night to the kid unless he was in attendance, which he was not. Recruiting is a long form game and one single game or a single season doesn't hurt much at all in terms of recruiting.
Once again my point is not about a single game. We just are not anywhere near ready to win too many more. Seems we are banking on NEXT season as being a smooth transition to winning a NC? We have a great class… if Cliff stayed and Mag stayed now we are talking possibilities . Also Rich …I’m familiar with the recruiting process before NIL and even some current reasons for seeing things somewhat differently. My concern is Pikiell is figuring these two will ease all our offensives woes. They may but maybe not.

Once again my point is not about a single game. We just are not anywhere near ready to win too many more. Seems we are banking on NEXT season as being a smooth transition to winning a NC? We have a great class… if Cliff stayed and Mag stayed now we are talking possibilities . Also Rich …I’m familiar with the recruiting process before NIL and even some current reasons for seeing things somewhat differently. My concern is Pikiell is figuring these two will ease all our offensives woes. They may but maybe not.
Winning a chip is very hard, but I think they should at a minimum be a Round of 32 team if not a Sweet 16 team, a lot of people still underestimate how good these two are going to be for Rutgers. A lot of those offensive flaws will be masked by the talent that Bailey and Harper have.

Also it's VERY unlikely that Cliff stays and honestly it's probably for the better because I'm not sure how much he would help next year.

Reactions: Kbee3
Winning a chip is very hard, but I think they should at a minimum be a Round of 32 team if not a Sweet 16 team, a lot of people still underestimate how good these two are going to be for Rutgers. A lot of those offensive flaws will be masked by the talent that Bailey and Harper have.

Also it's VERY unlikely that Cliff stays and honestly it's probably for the better because I'm not sure how much he would help next year.
He would help a lot.

Not sure people are ready for a defense without the backbone of Myles or Cliff honestly. Especially since so many young guys will be playing big minutes.

A guy who would be the best Center in the nation next year -- you're not sure how much he would help? Lol

Presumably you mean to say best defensive center? Best overall center seems like a stretch.

Presumably you mean to say best defensive center? Best overall center seems like a stretch.
Not even that. Makes a lot of questionable decisions on when to help around the rim going for a block which leaves his guy all alone for a offensive rebound and put back.

Cliff would be much better on next year's team where we wouldn't need his offense. Let him rebound and protect the rim. All the extra attention on Ace and Dylan would lead to more lobs and put back dunks. Cliff could go back to thriving as a role player

If Dylan and Ace are getting beat defensively having Cliff there to clean up their mistakes would be huge

I don’t expect Cliff back though so it's a somewhat meaningless debate

Reactions: FAT MOON
Not even that. Makes a lot of questionable decisions on when to help around the rim going for a block which leaves his guy all alone for a offensive rebound and put back.
I mean I'm not saying Cliff is or would be the best defensive center in the country but he is a great defensive center. And that statement would be in the realm of, you know, reasonable fan hyperbole.

A guy who would be the best Center in the nation next year -- you're not sure how much he would help? Lol
I’m of the belief that Cliff is certainly dragged down by a poor surrounding cast and no true point guard, but I think in year 4 of Cliff it’s clear he has nowhere near the makings of ‘best center in the nation’ — that’s ludicrous. He’s had national media guys beat his drum the last couple preseasons and multiple times now he’s shown real limitations. Good post defender, elite shot blocker, but has no offensive game beyond lobs / putbacks. Would love to have him back next season but we need to stop treating him like a potential All-American

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT