ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers can't stop hot-shooting Iowa

what RU and CVS needs to recruit are some 3 point shooters like Iowa has. CVS has to give some help to Diamond. Diversify CVS!!!

My only question is what kind of defense were we playing to leave Marshall open to make 7 of 11 shots from 3? Match up zone? Can a basketball expert answer that for me?

what RU and CVS needs to recruit are some 3 point shooters like Iowa has. CVS has to give some help to Diamond. Diversify CVS!!!
Please pay attention to this years team. We had one of the best 3 point shooters in the country in Diamond Johnson. This is the same Old rhetoric that’s been spewed for years. We were 3rd in the conference in 3pt pct and despite playing fewer games still finished in the middle of the pack in 3 pt makes.
Last night was terrible Because we couldn’t stop the big three from Iowa who scored all but 5 of Iowa’s points. So let’s not pin the loss on a lack of 3 pt shooters.

Anyone watching the Iowa - Michigan State game today? Today Iowa is 4 -15 from 3 point range at the half and Marshall is 0 - 3. She has a total of 2 points so far. We just were unlucky to be the victims of a player who is not usually a star having a career night and using a defense that was designed to double team the leading scorer in the nation while trying to also contain their center who has been playing well in the tournament instead. Marshall also wasn't much of a factor in Iowa's first tournament game. She had 8 points and was 1-6 from 3. If Marshall played her average game, we may very well have beaten them. This does not mean that I wasn't also upset with how open we left Marshall, but I was more concerned with how off our offense was in the first half. I also think Tekia looked like she wasn't feeling well last night. She looked winded and wasn't playing with her usual intensity. Time to regroup and move on to the NCAA tournament.

After her shooting 3 in a row in the first few minutes, don’t you think CVS or Eatman (whoever is running the show) would had changed tactics and double team Clark?

All you message board John Woodens clearly know more about defense than CVS. She’s only won a measly 1000+ games.
Just to clarify, I was not trying to say I know more about defense than CVS. I was trying to point out why she would have chosen to set up a double team for Clark and Czinano and left Marshall open. If i were responsible for scouting Iowa, I would have done the same thing. Unfortunately, one of the other players had a spectacular night and we paid the price. Marshall fell back to earth tonight with 6 points, but Iowa still won convincingly, thanks to Clark and Czinano.

Seems like Iowa has our number when they have a good guard and big that we can't match up with(Doyle and Gustafssen, now Clark and Czinano). We can match them on the perimeter but their advantage in the post has been too much for us to overcome. Everytime we came within striking distance, Czinano seemed to roll to the basket for a layup. Tiya has progressed nicely but still has more work to do. We beat them last year with a more balanced effort. Looking at that box score from last year's win shows how similar the games played out with one exception. 17 points from T Mack last year in the OT win.

Reactions: Bon1674 and eso1989
In summary, ....I feel like it wasn't so much Iowa's hot shooting that beat us as much as our misfiring, uninspired offensive execution. We got just as many open looks as they did from 3. We did not capitalize like they did. An off night cost us. Can't have those against potent offensive teams like, Maryland, Iowa, etc.

In summary, ....I feel like it wasn't so much Iowa's hot shooting that beat us as much as our misfiring, uninspired offensive execution. We got just as many open looks as they did from 3. We did not capitalize like they did. An off night cost us. Can't have those against potent offensive teams like, Maryland, Iowa, etc.
I really think it took both. I've seen a number of Iowa games (and the most RU games on TV in years) and I thought Rutgers looked out of sorts while Clark and Czinano were as advertised with Marshall's hot night thrown in to make up for any shortcomings they had.

FWIW someone above said Marshall was hot the other time they played us as well.

I think Iowa is scary and as you note CVS rarely seems to do well against them.

Reactions: RUClassof67
For all the open looks we gave Marshall and Cziano, Iowa still only scored 73 points--which is 14 below their average and 17 fewer than they scored against us earlier in the year. The RU offense just didn't wake up until about 2min left in the second quarter. (In their other two B10 tourney games, they've averaged 85ppg)

Reactions: RUcrazee
Yeah but never a National championship and there’s a reason for that
There's a reason for most College Basketball Head Coaches not winning a National Championship.
But there are some that just stand out in excellence.
CVS is an excelent coach and her HOF membership proves that, but it is not beyond the realm of reason that C.Vivian Stringer is just a notch below the Head Coaches that stand out in their excellence.
But never imply CVS isn't an excellent HC and is the reason for RUWBB being a winning program over the years without the type of Administration support that helps a program rise to the top.

Reactions: Knight Time Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT