ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Currently Ranked #3 for 2024 Class

For HS class of 2022 Duke has #1, #2, #4, #22, #61 and #97 (composite)
For 2023 Duke has #6, #12, #13, #18, #19 (Rivals)

It's safe to keep saying that.
That’s nuts. Better get ready to compete for your job day in and day out or you get recruited over. How many of these players wash out?

I wonder how important that actually is to Top 10-20 5 star recruits.
They literally step on campus with one foot in the NBA already.

I would guess (completely uninformed) that being a popular and currently winning school (more media attention) is a bigger draw than “you’ll be a legend on campus”.
It’s not like these people are getting too attached and spending years on campus.
Depends on the kid. I think Pike, to paraphrase Herb Brooks is looking for not the best players, but the right players, and that's what makes him unique. And also super appealing to those guys who are the right players.

But Milo, I didn't mention anything about what we should or shouldn't tell recruits, or that we should or shouldn't tell them about Bailey, Hinson, Douby, the 1976 team, etc.

Your original post suggested that we could still lure recruits by telling them they could be the first at RU in several categories, but since you didn't initially specify any time frame or specify "limiting it to stuff since 1980" like you later replied above, several of your "firsts" required additional clarification to be correct... (And based on your reply above that you intended to limit it to stuff since 1980, Roy Hinson was a first round pick in 1983, and Quincy Douby was a first round pick in 2006.)

For reference, your post was as follows,

....there are a lot of firsts left.
First team to win the Big Ten, first team to get to the second weekend, first elite 8, first FF, first National Championship, first first-round pick, first lottery pick etc."

So I agree, stick to things recruits care about when you speak with them, but be accurate with what we tell them. You can't lure them with possibly being RU's first first-round draft pick, etc, when there were 3 before them, most recently in 2006. Russ' mention of "Be a part of the first team to go to the sweet sixteen this century" for example, was accurate as written and didn't require any clarification to be correct. That's all I was trying to say.

We're on the same page. Lure recruits, they might not be THE first, but they'll be Pike's first and Pike will build that Hall fo Champions and they'll be in it. They will be the guy who got them there. Not the guy who came after the guy who came after the guy who came after the guy...
It's not going to resonate with everyone, but Pike doesn't just want anyone.
I honestly don't think he wants a kid if it's Duke or Rutgers.

Reactions: red sail
Pretty sure he wants at least one that fits this description.

I think some write off Dylan as "different" from other one and done players because of the personal connection.
Same with Gavin.

Class of 2025 is going to interesting.
We're moving into "yearly reloading" especially if Ace, Harper and Gavin have gone pro.

Are we going after the Boozer twins or other one and done "duke" type of players?
No reason they shouldn't be interested in Rutgers now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT