ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers football: 'Insane' crowd sent Washington packing, Jersey-style

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Fantastic article about the fantastic crowd and the players and Greg gushing about the crowd.

“Let me start by thanking our students,” he said. “That was special. In warmups they were out there and they were getting after it early. That’s a legitimate Big Ten home advantage, that’s what that was tonight. At times, you couldn’t hear yourself think. Believe me, that has an effect."

“You could feel it in that stadium tonight,” Schiano said. “That’s what Big Ten football is, and that’s what I want for New Jersey – that’s what I’ve always wanted for New Jersey, is to have that in our state. I grew up here, I played in this state, high school football, and it was always somewhere else, right? But I want this to be a place that New Jerseyans can be proud of. Tonight was a good step.”

In the end, Washington flew 2,900 miles home with a loss and a ringing in their ears. Rutgers fans took the cannoli.

GREAT article. Totally captured the essence of the evening.

And, yes, 45,000 is about right. From where I sit on the 50 in the upper deck I could see the lower bowl was completely full & a good portion of the upper as well. The corners & very top of the upper deck were wide open.

45,000 is off. Each upper deck only seats 5000. Plus there are a couple thousand people on the concourse at all times. There were at least 50,000 people in that stadium last night.
Yeah, 50k in attendance seems likely. This was supposedly the biggest crowd (54,070) since the 2022 Penn State crowd (55,676).

I realize that refers to ticket sales and not attendance. But there certainly didn't appear to be 10,000 empty seats.

Reactions: Knight Shift
My guess is that the 4 and 5 got transposed accidentally in typing up the article (announced attendance of 54,079, so rounding it off would make sense in an "opinion" type of article).

Regardless, Jerry did a good job highlighting what went on last night. Anyone who missed it, missed out on quite the show.

This was a B1G time production last night all around. A big-time college game experience with our own NJ/NYC flair thrown in.

I just wish everyone watching on TV got to see all the extras those of us who were there saw last night.

I hope that everyone at home got to hear "Rutgers fans let's give a warm New Jersey welcome to Washington Huskies" And the absolute deluge of BOOS that followed it. Classic NJ

This was a B1G time production last night all around. A big-time college game experience with our own NJ/NYC flair thrown in.

I just wish everyone watching on TV got to see all the extras those of us who were there saw last night.
Can't experience everything from your 85 inch TV in your living room. "Gotta have a ticket"

Reactions: MrsScrew
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT