ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football RB Kyle Monangai set to return for final year

with the current state of college sports (free agency/ NIL) PLUS the possibility of him declaring ,,, this is the biggest football related news of 2023 - this is so much bigger than if RU got some huge top-rated recruit. we know what he is capable of and that he will produce in 2024 (you never know what a recruit will do particularly his freshman year in FB or even a top-rated transfer for that matter - sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesnt ). this is huge news

I'll be a little surprised if that's true, but that would be great news for us fans and for the team.

• Wow
Reactions: newell138
RU has to be getting significant corporate support on the NIL front. Between basketball and now football, I'm blown away by how well we're doing. I was worried that NIL was going to be our undoing. Instead, Pikiell and Schiano are thriving. Great stuff!

great news for the program but sad for Kongo as I'd imagine his draft grade wasn't high. It's ok, he'll come out and move the needle higher by doing what he does best

all the pieces coming together for similar year so all that is left is finding a qb

Reactions: Cheap Sunglasses
with the current state of college sports (free agency/ NIL) PLUS the possibility of him declaring ,,, this is the biggest football related news of 2023 - this is so much bigger than if RU got some huge top-rated recruit. we know what he is capable of and that he will produce in 2024 (you never know what a recruit will do particularly his freshman year in FB or even a top-rated transfer for that matter - sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesnt ). this is huge news
I was not allowing myself to think that he'd be coming back for 2024......and wondering what RU would be doing for offense next Fall.
Now I've got a big smile on my face and am looking forward to September. 😎 😎😎

I’d imagine he is getting good $ to come back, definitely risky though on his part.
I don’t understand. Football is risky anyway! All the greats played all 4 years and then dominated bowl games and got drafted first round. Are kids softer now? I don’t think so. I applaud him for showing he’s not worried about getting hurt. Tough kid. Gonna me a monster next year.

I don’t understand. Football is risky anyway! All the greats played all 4 years and then dominated bowl games and got drafted first round. Are kids softer now? I don’t think so. I applaud him for showing he’s not worried about getting hurt. Tough kid. Gonna me a monster next year.
kids are softer but that is not the issue with returning players. The issue is the amount of money they could potentially lose if they get hurt

RU has to be getting significant corporate support on the NIL front. Between basketball and now football, I'm blown away by how well we're doing. I was worried that NIL was going to be our undoing. Instead, Pikiell and Schiano are thriving. Great stuff!
I say it all time, every situation/player is different. A combination made up of NIL, fit, opportunity etc..is different for every player. You run the gamut. Whether NIL is significant or not for football, who knows but whatever it is, it's enough for the leading B10 rusher to return.

We seem to have a lot of key players returning for next year and that's great. There's often too much sky is falling kind of talk when usually it's not. This year it's worked out well but another year it may not. Whatever the case is, it's up to the coaches to make it work with what they have.

I was not allowing myself to think that he'd be coming back for 2024......and wondering what RU would be doing for offense next Fall.
Now I've got a big smile on my face and am looking forward to September. 😎 😎😎
Wow, just wow! This is hugh and easily more impressive than signing a 5* RB recruit to a LOI later this month since he's such a proven performer. Congrats to the whole staff and NIL contributors for this and the retention of many other returning key contributors that could have moved on.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Love this. Wonder if this has any impact at all on Brown. Does he want to be a backup for another year?

On all 2023 draft projections I saw for RB they don't even show KM's name in top 20. TreVeyon Henderson and Coram around top .

On all 2023 draft projections I saw for RB they don't even show KM's name in top 20. TreVeyon Henderson and Coram around top .

Any commentary on why? 1000 yards and one of the best blocking running backs I've ever seen. I'm not sure why he wouldn't rank higher.

Reactions: RU from Jersey

The news of Monangai's return is the latest in a flurry of key players deciding to return to the school. Coming back from a defense that finished No. 19 nationally in total defense are lineman Aaron Lewis and Wesley Bailey and linebackers Tyreem Powell and Mohamed Toure.

While all decisions haven't been made, Rutgers is expected to return more than half of its defensive starters from one of the Big Ten's top defenses.

Terrific News.
Kyle you will continue to improve and bring success to Rutgers!

Huge, huge news!

tes-yes.gif

2024 is shaping to be a potential once in a lifetime athletic year for RU

The football schedule is more favorable. Good amount of returning talent. Just have to feel better about QB position and we could really get excited.

then basketball has sweet 16+ expectations

Wow. This could be the type of year we have all dreamed decades for as fans !!!

it's good news for us, but also a clear indication he's not considered a notable NFL prospect. Impressive college production but doesn't have the NFL measurables or versatility.

We can assume his NIL is higher than UDFA pay.

Reactions: Cheap Sunglasses
Any commentary on why? 1000 yards and one of the best blocking running backs I've ever seen. I'm not sure why he wouldn't rank higher.

No he doesn't get mentioned one way or another. I think its the favoritism over the big name teams. A guy like Corum gets a lot of TDs because Michigan has a top OL and red zone offense.

Ohio's TreVeyon Henderson is at top of many draft lists. He hasn't gone over 1k since 2021 but he had 11 TDs this year. KM only has 7 TDs but that's because of Greg's FG heavy red zone offense.

Rice went in 2nd when he should have gone in the 1st and I learned not to take draft too seriously because teams eff-up all the time.

37th on this listing

Last edited:
No he doesn't get mentioned one way or another. I think its the favoritism over the big name teams. A guy like Corum gets a lot of TDs because Michigan has a top OL and red zone offense.

Ohio's TreVeyon Henderson is at top of many draft lists. He hasn't gone over 1k since 2021 but he had 11 TDs this year. KM only has 7 TDs but that's because of Greg's FG heavy red zone offense.

Rice went in 2nd when he should have gone in the 1st and I learned not to take draft too seriously because teams eff-up all the time.

37th on this listing

There’s no program favoritism in the NFL. Too much talent across the league and to pressure to win to take lesser prospects instead.

Love this. Wonder if this has any impact at all on Brown. Does he want to be a backup for another year?

I doubt he wants to drop a level, which based on 2023 would be necessary for a guaranteed start.

Let me help you understand. Before =$$. Now=$$$$.

it's good news for us, but also a clear indication he's not considered a notable NFL prospect. Impressive college production but doesn't have the NFL measurables or versatility.

We can assume his NIL is higher than UDFA pay.
I would doubt anyone ponied up 750k in NIL for him to return. What I see is-
He is a RB and current draft grade- most likely a priority UDFA...that is a rough go for anyone.
So, maybe he gets a lower 6 figures to come back- but he is a very smart kid - Ivy offers, and knows the very short NFL career for RB's.
2 things most likely driving this- have back to back years like this year, plus, a promise from Greg that he becomes more of an option in the passing game. and equally important- getting his degree if he does not already have it, and if he does, get credits toward his masters.
He will most likely have a private career 7-8 times longer than an NFL career.

Reactions: TRU2RU
selfishly, really happy. Just hope it doesn't hurt his chances on Sundays in the future. Next year's team is starting to look strong. GS must have built a strong culture of players that want to finish the job.
Greg absolutely did . When he was hired 3 years ago there was no doubt in my mind his culture would be top notch .

Reactions: RU848789 and Kbee3
Now let's find enough NIL $ to attract some top level O line talent in the portal
so Kyle can really shine

Reactions: jtung230
I would doubt anyone ponied up 750k in NIL for him to return. What I see is-
He is a RB and current draft grade- most likely a priority UDFA...that is a rough go for anyone.
So, maybe he gets a lower 6 figures to come back- but he is a very smart kid - Ivy offers, and knows the very short NFL career for RB's.
2 things most likely driving this- have back to back years like this year, plus, a promise from Greg that he becomes more of an option in the passing game. and equally important- getting his degree if he does not already have it, and if he does, get credits toward his masters.
He will most likely have a private career 7-8 times longer than an NFL career.
reasonable, but you know where I stand on Schiano promises. The offense is a hot mess without a credible passer because of that and I hope that promise didn't happen. I'm closer to 90 than 20 and I bet I can throw a short screen pass with more touch and accuracy than GW, maybe even left handed too. Not kidding.

It’ll be by committee. Brown will get his.
Who knows. I guess we will soon see. My initial thought was 'oh, i wonder if brown would transfer?' I think brown 2 seasons ago before getting injured was playing very well and could start for other teams at this level. This year he didnt get a whole lot of opportunities (whether thats because of not being 100% or KM just playing too well) so with Kyle coming back I can't imagine the plan in KM's mind would be to spread it around even more than what they did last season. Which leads me back to the idea of wondering how this will impact Brown.

Reactions: RUShea
KM needs to work on his pass catching. He shows that, he’ll get drafted.

reasonable, but you know where I stand on Schiano promises. The offense is a hot mess without a credible passer because of that and I hope that promise didn't happen. I'm closer to 90 than 20 and I bet I can throw a short screen pass with more touch and accuracy than GW, maybe even left handed too. Not kidding.
Always sounds good from the computer. I said it before- when I was in my 30's and playing ball in the back yard or flag football.
I would see a guy in college or pro's and see them have trouble throwing a ball 30 yds with anything on it and think- I am 5ft 8 and can zip that ball in there and on target every time.
Told the story in another thread where a neighbor sending his son to be a RB at DBP - his son was all of 5ft6 140lbs but tore up the Pop Warner leagues every year. The Dad is having a pool party and my son was home from the Jaguars and when told this- he tosses the football to this kid and tells him to show him what he has and to run past him. Kid looks at him like he can't be serious. My son tells him the DL he will be running against at DBP will be this size- so get used to it. Kid took up wrestling instead.

I would bet that GW can make every single throw when there is no one rushing him. It is the pressure and speed that these guys have to catch up to and or block out of their heads.
But not a single one of us can even come close to being better than anything anyone on a D1 field is doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT