ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers football: Running back makes in-season position change

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
The depth of Rutgers’ running back room has caused a position change for one of its members.

Sophomore Al-Shadee Salaam has moved to cornerback, head coach Greg Schiano said on Wednesday. The East Orange native played one snap at the position in the fourth quarter of last Saturday’s win over Wagner.

“That’s where we’re headed with it,” Schiano said. “He’s going to play corner. He’s learning the position as we go.”

The depth of Rutgers’ running back room has caused a position change for one of its members.

Sophomore Al-Shadee Salaam has moved to cornerback, head coach Greg Schiano said on Wednesday. The East Orange native played one snap at the position in the fourth quarter of last Saturday’s win over Wagner.

“That’s where we’re headed with it,” Schiano said. “He’s going to play corner. He’s learning the position as we go.”

I don't see why we don't try him at KR/PR with his speed

I don't see why we don't try him at KR/PR with his speed
Good call on the kick returns. He definitely has NFL speed and as long as he can can train his hips to handle the corner position he should have a chance at the next level. He’s just a little bit too lean to run between the tackles as RB.

Reactions: OldManRiver
Good call on the kick returns. He definitely has NFL speed and as long as he can can train his hips to handle the corner position he should have a chance at the next level. He’s just a little bit too lean to run between the tackles as RB.
And that's what we do--run between the tackles.

He probably hasn't learned to signal for a fair catch yet.

Tom And Jerry Hbomax GIF by Max

smart move, long term this could pay off for him. RB have short shelf lives and are so undervalued in the pros, while well-coached DBs are always highly desirable

After QB, the argument for next most valuable position is close between LT and CB.

Looking back at articles when he committed he was recruited by RU for both positions plus as a returner on special teams.

I liked him (at RB). If I'm not mistaken, didn't he play a chunk at BC last year? Since then, he's been just about non-existent at RB. So, I guess this is good for him (it'll give him an opportunity to play). However, I can't imagine making that move mid-season bodes well for him, in regards to playing time. Unless, of course, the coaches intend to use him in specific packages.

I liked him (at RB). If I'm not mistaken, didn't he play a chunk at BC last year? Since then, he's been just about non-existent at RB. So, I guess this is good for him (it'll give him an opportunity to play). However, I can't imagine making that move mid-season bodes well for him, in regards to playing time. Unless, of course, the coaches intend to use him in specific packages.
He was a big part of that win

With KM playing well and coupled with SB and AYs return from injury there’s not a lot of reps.

I'd look beyond this season. Right now you have AY, a senior, KM, a junior, SB a soph and JB a freshman. Add in a 3 star 2024 commit. That's a log jam that will not go away after this season. THis might be a greater oppotunity for him over his full time at Rutgers.

And damn that RB room is deep.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
He has the physical attributes to be good. The test is to see how fast he can learn the position. It's a tough position to learn.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT