ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Gets Diamond Johnson

I will admit to being pleasantly surprised that CVS is able to bring in such a highly regarded class at this stage of her career when there would appear to be a legitimate question of how many more years she will want to do this.

Perhaps that new training facility is paying more immediate dividends for the women's program than the mens.

Zippy tweeted “coach recruiting for a natty” meaning national championship

And here I though she meant “Natural Lite”....anyhow what a GREAT job CVS is doing in the recruiting front again (as well as on the court this far)!!

Fantastic news for the program. CVS has always been to recruit at a higher and more national level than coaches of other RU sports teams. It is great to see that she hasn't lost her touch.

I would be surprised if this class doesn't merit a top 10 national ranking, with 4 players ranked in the top 60 of the nation. Does anyone have a handle on this?

Fantastic news for the program. CVS has always been to recruit at a higher and more national level than coaches of other RU sports teams. It is great to see that she hasn't lost her touch.

I would be surprised if this class doesn't merit a top 10 national ranking, with 4 players ranked in the top 60 of the nation. Does anyone have a handle on this?
looks like the old days are returning to the RAC

easy there. IIRC we had one of those (Top 10? Top 5? Top period?) and the years that followed weren't so great. So this IS good stuff and I am thrilled but what happens on the court is so much more relevant than any rankings. OF COURSE getting these players is potentially huge and very impressive! But winning is whats most important. .........But its a great start LOL!!!

easy there. IIRC we had one of those (Top 10? Top 5? Top period?) and the years that followed weren't so great. So this IS good stuff and I am thrilled but what happens on the court is so much more relevant than any rankings. OF COURSE getting these players is potentially huge and very impressive! But winning is whats most important. .........But its a great start LOL!!!

You're right that class rankings can be deceptive. My conclusion about that particular class was that CVS ended up recruiting differently for that one than with other previous strong classes (like the one with Essence and Matee). From the last few years, it seems she's realized she has to recruit players for the system, not just the highest-rated recruits, and this class looks more like that to me. But, hey, we won't know for at least a year if that's true.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
You're right that class rankings can be deceptive. My conclusion about that particular class was that CVS ended up recruiting differently for that one than with other previous strong classes (like the one with Essence and Matee). From the last few years, it seems she's realized she has to recruit players for the system, not just the highest-rated recruits, and this class looks more like that to me. But, hey, we won't know for at least a year if that's true.

All of this is true and I well remember the Fab 5 that turned out not to be so "fab." But a high ranking of a recruited class is nice recognition for the program and will get more people looking at what's going on her once again.

Another take is that when CVS said for years that facilities were a barrier to top-end recruits, she knew what she was talking about.

All of this is true and I well remember the Fab 5 that turned out not to be so "fab." But a high ranking of a recruited class is nice recognition for the program and will get more people looking at what's going on her once again.

I think everyone knows that the Fab 5 class turned out to be less than expected for a number of reasons, but I think that's the exception to the rule. (and RU is certainly not the only program who's had recruiting class flops).

Essence Carson, Matee Ajavon, Ephiphany Prince, Cappie Pondexter, Chelsea Newton, Kia Vaughn, Kahlea Copper, Betnijah Laney, Tyle Scaife and many more were all highly rated recruits in highly rated recruiting classes that ended up being fantastic.

I'd rather take my chance on a highly rated recruiting class than one with lower tier players you hope turn into diamonds in the rough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT