ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Hoops moves up to No. 11 in AP Poll

Actually game coming up has more similarities to 2006 football.. big win over high ranked team on ESPN (2), big jump in rankings, now going on road to play a team in Ohio..this is still a gauntlet, do not expect to come out unscathed, but win enough, stay ranked, then climb back up the polls..3 or 4 seed is definite possibility..

It would be even more analogous to the 2006 football season and the Cincy loss after Loiusville if RU beats OSU on Wednesday, climbs into Top 10 in next Monday's ranking, and then sh!ts the bed next Tuesday against Purdue.

Well, in the interest of preserving my sanity, I'm only willing to look ahead to the next game on the schedule. I don't think any of us expect an undefeated season, but yeah, WTF losses... not welcome here! I do love this teams swag, though.

Will be interesting to see how the team responds to all of the hoopla, since it would be crazy to think the team isn't getting texts and messages about this from everyone. Let's just hope they can stay focused and keep grinding out the wins and having fun. Like everyone else who's been around more than a few years, I'm not sure I know how to handle this as a fan, lol. Let's enjoy the ride and not freak out when we lose a few, since this conference is just too good for that to not happen.

Reactions: IMARUFAN and RUPete
One game at a time. We are loving this but we jumped so quickly from 19 to 11. I don't want to have bubbles burst. Maybe it's a sign, but my son had the 76 jersey on his list and was able to get it at Scarlet Fever. He'll be wearing that every game we watch.!!

Bad job by the AP poll. How can they reward Rutgers by placing them #11 after they didn’t play out of conference games?

Sarcasm meter-ON

Will be interesting to see how the team responds to all of the hoopla, since it would be crazy to think the team isn't getting texts and messages about this from everyone. Let's just hope they can stay focused and keep grinding out the wins and having fun. Like everyone else who's been around more than a few years, I'm not sure I know how to handle this as a fan, lol. Let's enjoy the ride and not freak out when we lose a few, since this conference is just too good for that to not happen.
One thing Coach Pike has talked about since he has been here is the scourge of the phones and social media. I have to believe he and the staff are all over it. But the league is a beast and we have a target on us now. Things are different. There will definitely be ups and downs but this team has proved to be resilient over the past year.

Reactions: carmenst
I’m actually surprised at how surprised everyone is.

Didn’t we see this coming from a mile away?

This is what you get when guys develop in a program and our juniors and seniors and even Paul have been through the Big 10 wars. Especially how tough the Big 10 was the last few years. They have done the hardest part, learning how to win. Once that happened confidence and swag follow. We expect to win every time we step on the court. We are like that mid major that has an older team that the Blue Bloods do not want to play in the first or second round of the tourney . Ron playing at an All American level gives you the star. Last time this happened I was a freshman in 75-76 and enjoyed the ride all the way to the final four . Man that Baylor / Rutgers game at the Jimmy V at MSG would have been a classic. Maybe we meet them later. Enjoy the climb and the ride , it is so much fun.

I'll breathe easier when I know Cliff and Mag are healthy enough to play vs Ohio St

It will be an up and down ride in this league but two league wins as a ranked team has been fun.

Yes. I've been thinking the last 3 games have each been a new and bigger challenge. First Syracuse at home, "name" school we hadn't beaten in 17 years. Check.
Then Maryland on the road. Never won there in conference play.
Check.
Then Illinois at home - potential Final Four candidate and one of the better teams in the country.
Check.
Now a ranked opponent on the road for first time this year.
Check??
The schedule has broken just right to where it is easy to keep the teams attention and focus. After OSU is when I worry team will have a letdown. After all, we swept them last year. It may be hard to get the kids to play with fire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT