ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers is Trapped in the Cavern of Discord

R1766U

Senior
Jan 17, 2014
NJ
1. Immediately when I saw the attendance at this game 20 minutes until kickoff I knew we were doomed. Absolutely pathetic. Unless something drastically changes, we will never have a big time fanbase that consistently shows up.

2. Abysmal performance on the field by all. Totally disgusting. Finally, it seems as if the boo’s are socially acceptable. Good.

3. Rutgers is doomed. Unless something drastic changes in the world of NIL, we will never ever be able to consistently compete. A developmental program can not survive in this climate.

4. Schiano is a false prophet.
4a* My season tickets have resulted in false profit*

5. After attending almost every home game and dozens of away games since 2002, I think my Rutgers football fanatic obsession needs to come to an end. Fair weather fandom is calling my name. I can’t keep this up.

Last edited:
1. Immediately when I saw the attendance at this game 20 minutes until kickoff I knew we were doomed. Absolutely pathetic. Unless something drastically changes, we will never have a big time fanbase that consistently shows up.

2. Abysmal performance on the field by all. Totally disgusting. Finally, it seems as if the boo’s are socially acceptable. Good.

3. Rutgers is doomed. Unless something drastic changes in the world of NIL, we will never ever be able to consistently compete. A developmental program can not survive in this climate.

4. Schiano is a false profit.

5. After attending almost every home game and dozens of away games since 2002, I think my Rutgers football fanatic obsession needs to come to an end. Fair weather fandom is calling my name. I can’t keep this up.
1. Agree. Piss poor showing
2. Disagree on booing
3. Disagree
4. Profit or Prophet or both?
5. Yesterday felt like a gut punch for sure. Let's see how the team responds.

Existential crisis is a good word for all this concerning our fandom. And I second it. It’s beyond sobering; it’s the demolition of all confidence in the process

Child please, NIL is a big reason we bagged Dylan and Ace in basketball.

But admittedly I have no answer for the offensive woes we always have no matter what.

• Haha
Reactions: miket007

Re number4 Are you saying that we can't make any money off of Greg?

Prophet. Carry on.

Reactions: HeywoodGiant
I boo your take on booing!

Also, it was Yom Kippur so that definitely impacted attendance.
Well, all those celebrating the holiday will be coming back to a morgue next week. You could feel that stadium with the collective, WTF is going on and shock as the air let out of the balloon. Many of us saw flashbacks of the Ash era and became shell shocked. Even with it being homecoming, many will not be coming back or staying at tailgates, that was an absolutely miserable experience.

Last edited:

As a much less intense fan (I work my game attendance around my personal schedule, not the other way around), let me offer the following observations.

1) I think you are WAY overstating the correlation between fan attendance and team performance. Even if literally no fans had shown up, that should not doom us to non-competitive defeat.

2) I have come around on booing. I still believe that amateur athletes should not be booed. But today's semipros? Let them be semi-booed.

3) I think "doomed" is too strong a term. I think Rutgers is probably fated to second tier status in the ultimate hierarchy. But I think we can carve a comfortable niche there.

4) Again, I wouldn't say "false". But there is a saying in business, "What got you here won't get you there." Schiano has done a great job in getting us here. Is he the guy to get us there? Fair question. But he has a contract that says he is, so there's that.

5) Fandom is not either-or. Maybe you can take it down a notch or two, and still be a great fan. All things in moderation.

Rutgers has the second largest Jewish student population of any college in the US.

I graduated during GS 1.0 and can attest to this not being a recent phenomenon.

Am I missing something with some of our older fans...who also must have no issues getting out of the house for noon on a Saturday?

Reactions: 365Poster24Seven
Greg drives a short bus on offense.
I mean its such a proven disaster in the B1G.
RU could get away with it more in BE but B1G is not a dinky-dunky passing league thrown around with same 5 running plays.
Red Zone was bad even in 2007 with better players

All teams can bomb in the red zone but with RU its been a 20 year "standard and usual."
Reports from a 2007 game sound just like the 6 play RZ flop at Nebraska

"It was the ongoing red-zone failures, with Rutgers' offense managing four field goals, one touchdown and coming up empty one time for its six trips inside the Huskies' 20-yard line...

Schiano said "We need to figure it out quickly. We put up 500 yards of offense and can't score when you get in the red zone? That's an issue."

"It's tough when you go out and execute the way that you want to and the way you're supposed to ... something's got to give. We've got to get something fixed and get it quick," Teel said. "We're not executing. The bottom line is we're not doing the things we did to get us in that position (of being in the red zone). When you get in the red zone you can't have stupid mistakes that are going to set you back."

Last edited:

See ya.

Well, all those celebrating the holiday will be coming back to a morgue next week. You could feel that stadium with the collective, WTF is going on and shock as the air let out of the balloon. Many of us saw flashbacks of the Ash era and became shell shocked. Even with it being homecoming, many will not be coming back or staying at tailgates, that was an absolutely miserable experience.
There was nothing enjoyable about yesterday, except chatting with you in the Yellow lot before the game.
There large family of long time RU supporters in front of us, and the two men (one is very old) in the group were visibly pissed, and the younger one was pretty vocal. Mentioned in another thread, there was a group of what must have been high school players behind me, and they were laughing at and mocking all the WR drops. We left midway in third quarter. To ad insult to injury, as we were walking past the practice field, Joe Nolan rang out loudly: "Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, ittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt's thirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! If that shit does not sop, may sell the rest of my home game tickets. There was none of that nonsense at Va Tech or Nebraska. Looking forward to a good game environment at USC.

Month started off in a bad way personally, and the last 2 Saturdays have provided zero joy. At least I have the Mets for now.

Ya now, I try to not be overly reactionary, but if RU loses to UCLA next weekend, that guy's take is not totally unreasonable. Take the on field performance coupled with the more crappy game day production, and it is a highly crappy experience for the fans. Joe Nolan takes any fan participation right out of the game. That's about all the fans used to have.

Reactions: LOLSpankyNUTS
Im in full support of booing. These are paid athletes not real students

Yes they are paid athletes. On what basis do you say they are not real students? Are you saying this is like a UNC situation from a few years ago? Do you think some people at RU wouldn't expose it?

One can be BOTH a paid athlete and a real student. Prove me wrong if you can.

I have two thoughts on booing: (1) every fan has a right to boo; (2) fans who boo look like losers and jerks who you don't want around much of anything.
One thought here

We had a lot of bickering on the board back when Sitowski came out of a game for a play or two, and the crowd booed some when he came back in

Was it the fans upset with the coaches for not letting the backup get a chance, or booing our starter upon returning

I always felt that it was on the coaching staff, not allowing the backup a chance

It felt like it was on the the staff, as it happened that day

I am a bit surprised that we don’t have the same indignation for yesterdays crowd reaction

Hard to say who the crowd was reacting to

Reactions: LOLSpankyNUTS
There was nothing enjoyable about yesterday, except chatting with you in the Yellow lot before the game.
There large family of long time RU supporters in front of us, and the two men (one is very old) in the group were visibly pissed, and the younger one was pretty vocal. Mentioned in another thread, there was a group of what must have been high school players behind me, and they were laughing at and mocking all the WR drops. We left midway in third quarter. To ad insult to injury, as we were walking past the practice field, Joe Nolan rang out loudly: "Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, ittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt's thirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! If that shit does not sop, may sell the rest of my home game tickets. There was none of that nonsense at Va Tech or Nebraska. Looking forward to a good game environment at USC.

Month started off in a bad way personally, and the last 2 Saturdays have provided zero joy. At least I have the Mets for now.

I left at the same time as you and heard the same thing as I walked past the practice field. The game was terrible, I should have just stayed in the yellow lot and kept on tailgating.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I left at the same time as you and heard the same thing as I walked past the practice field. The game was terrible, I should have just stayed in the yellow lot and kept on tailgating.
The reaction of several of us walking out with the Joe Nolan interlude.
Season 3 Mistake GIF by The Simpsons

1. Immediately when I saw the attendance at this game 20 minutes until kickoff I knew we were doomed.

To be fair, our attendance was affected by the Jewish holiday, Yom Kippur, which is considered their most holy day. Months ago we predicted this would affect attendance to this game, so it was no surprise this occurred.

I’m skeptical of the Yom Kippur
If we beat Nebraska last week, wouldn’t the attendance yesterday have been better?

I'm not, our tailgate was affected by it. And, yes, if we had beaten Nebraska we would have garnered more attention locally and attendance probably would have been better, but not by much.

I boo your take on booing!

Also, it was Yom Kippur so that definitely impacted attendance.
I am in the same boat, really do not like booing the kids. I always felt that they are students doing their best to represent the university. But now they are paid athletes and being booed will come with the territory. I’ll say when I do voice displeasure at games it’s directed at our coaching staff. Greg Schiano is the highest paid public employee in the state by far. We pay his salary. We pay good money for our tickets, seat donations and some of us supporting collectives. He is accountable to us. We are well within our rights to expect results from them and criticize when they don’t. I’m not saying trash them but we can be critical and supportive at the same time. What was on display yesterday showed a team that was not prepared across the board. Fans that have supported the teams for decades deserve better than that. Hoping they regroup next week and are ready. We fans are very forgiving and looking for reasons to keep coming back!

I have to laugh, just thinking about all the hate I received for not supporting the Semi-Pro, Pay for Play model. Go back and look at the cheerleaders who thought this model, which failed in Pro Sports, was great. Well here we are and despite our good recruiting grounds, and great location, we are equivalent to Kansas City or Cleveland expected to compete with the NY Yankees! Or in NFL terms Green Bay.

You can't get a Mercedes for the price of an economy car!

Re number4 Are you saying that we can't make any money off of Greg?
You will never make the money needed in this new environment of NIL pay to play off the back of GS , it’s just not going to happen, GS at this point in time is considered a dinosaur in the way he coaches, it’s just not attractive or a good sell for big NIL donors to invest the millions needed in someone that does not change with the times & in this I mean his offensive philosophy, now you may get to lower level bowls every once in a while but in my opinion the shine has faded.

3) I think "doomed" is too strong a term. I think Rutgers is probably fated to second tier status in the ultimate hierarchy. But I think we can carve a comfortable niche there.
Agree with the post except for item 3).

I'd consider UWisc a second tier B1G program, and yet they beat beat us like a rented mule againl

Drama Queen!

False profit? I don’t think so. False prophet? perhaps but the players have to believe that they can win. Without that, it’s a dark future. Some here are the victim of overhyped expectations. I thought an 8-4 season was a best case scenario. I thought losses to Neb, Wisc, USC, MD were likely in the preseason. You can add real tossup games against Minn, Illinois, MSU. UCLA will not be easy. They are playing hard and tough against the run. Played PSU and Minn tough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Disagree. It's homecoming and UCLA.
This board completely goes into the toilet after a loss.

Reactions: Zimm80
Im a sucker. Will be traveling to Cali for the USC game.

This loss was brutal for me. I truly think it will be a huge turning point for the program.

Well, I know 2 things (on this topic, lol). First, we're likely not as good as our 4-0 start indicated (but those wins over VT and UW were good wins against good teams) and second, we're nowhere near as bad as the loss to Wisconsin indicated - not to ignore our putrid performance and growing injury issues, but sometimes shit just happens. Where we end up, I'm not sure, but I'm guessing my 7-win prediction is still pretty solid. Now, if we lose to UCLA, then I'll have to reevaluate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT