ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Men’s Lacrosse Welcomes Hofstra On Saturday to Open Three-Game Homestand

Even if you could bet on it in NJ I wouldn't like that spread. With a Tuesday game coming up my guess is they will clear the bench when the outcome is obvious. A 16-8 win and you would lose.

What's the deal with Hofstra? Didn't they used to be a really good team, they have that stadium and would think they'd get some talent from LI.

I'd be surprised if we don't lay one on Hofstra. 8 goals can be a lot. I can envision us going up a bunch, clear our bench and they keep their guys in, and they get a couple at the end to keep it around that mark.

They were competitive for a long time but I think some of these mid major programs are having a hard time competing with the bigger conference teams. Some can but it's getting increasingly hard. There will be a speed and size differential that will be very apparent.

Expect to see a bunch of players the next 3 games. We are nursing some injuries and with B1G play coming up, it's all hands on deck.

Reactions: Wagram97
Expect to see a bunch of players the next 3 games. We are nursing some injuries and with B1G play coming up, it's all hands on deck.
Hofstra and Detroit Mercy are the games to get the younger players/bench players some minutes. Both games should be blowout wins for us so gonna need those players to close things out in the end of games.

Agreed.

Man, we had a good run of few key injuries for a couple of years but we are getting it now. Staff is earning their pay that's for sure. But this is life in the big leagues in contact sports.

Reactions: mattkamish
Agreed.

Man, we had a good run of few key injuries for a couple of years but we are getting it now. Staff is earning their pay that's for sure. But this is life in the big leagues in contact sports.
Any updates on any of the key injuries?

Agreed.

Luck works both ways right?? It’s all part of it the good and the bad. The tough/sad part is when a kid or kids take big season ending career altering injuries…they work so hard and frankly at a place like Rutgers or any top 20/25 program, a kid only has a few windows of opportunity to make the lineup…those windows are small and few…you gotta take advantage of them when they open up…they come and go…tons of really nice lacrosse players all over never ultimately crack the lineups at these power programs…its really really hard to get on the field let alone be a star…not easy!

The next few games could open up a few windows for some guys to show out…

Last comment…luck is funny

In 21 and 22 RU had a big ten championship level team…the only issue was a generational Maryland team was standing in the way…last year our 22 team would have won both the reg season and B1G tourney…but that’s just how it plays out…not meant to be…with that said we will take the 2 NCAA appearances, 2 Quarterfinal trips, and the trip to Championship weekend…thankful for those years…

Looking for this years team to make some noise…they can

I'd be surprised if we don't lay one on Hofstra. 8 goals can be a lot. I can envision us going up a bunch, clear our bench and they keep their guys in, and they get a couple at the end to keep it around that mark.

They were competitive for a long time but I think some of these mid major programs are having a hard time competing with the bigger conference teams. Some can but it's getting increasingly hard. There will be a speed and size differential that will be very apparent.
I think we need to look at the macro on what’s gone on a bit the last 3-4 years…

Covid and the extra year had two very different impacts that drastically tilted the competitive balance between the big boy conferences (Big Ten, ACC, and to a lesser extent the Big East)…and the mid majors (Patriot, CAA, and others)…

The extra year and the portal created tons of openings to grab talent for a 1 year rental…and the biggest winners were the power conferences and the biggest losers were the mid majors…Patriot does not allow teams to grab a 1 year grad student…that hurts a perennial top 15 program like Loyola when all the other teams can load up…Lehigh lost massive amounts of old talent the last 3-4 years…we know about that 😏

So while I agree with @Caliknight on the premise about size/speed/athletes in ACC and B1G…its also added a luxury of plucking the best players from the mid majors for the 1 year plug and play…not to mention clipping a top D3 talent or two…see Ronan Jacoby

That all goes almost away right now…the transfer pipe will still have a trickle…but it will dramatically slow…coaches can still work the portal for bits and bytes…but wholesale 6-7 guy portal classes are not gonna happen moving forward…

And with that said, I go back to teams like Towson, Hofstra, Loyola, Lehigh, Delaware, and Richmond…things will normalize a bit back in their favor IMO…all proud, strong programs that have good history and proud lacrosse alumni

I look to see more mid majors rising back in the next 5 years…and that also has to do with better talent coming from all over the country…you guys do know there are some good players outside of NJ/NY don’t you 😏😜

Good discussion…

Just landed in Syracuse. Headed to see if Loyola can beat Colgate tomorrow…will be a tough tight game…Colgate is no joke…just as Penn State 😳

Actually, the biggest losers were the Ivies. True they do not allow redshirting, but you can get an extra year for an ACL You just take a semester (or quarter if you're Dartmouth) off and not graduate. Notre Dame wouldn't have won last year without Yale post grads. Princeton is all over the top teams this year.

Reactions: Caliknight
hofstra was on a downward trajectory long before covid and the transfer portal...and they've lost to teams like binghamton, fairfield, st. john's, merrimack, marist in recent years....that has nothing to do with the b1g and acc tilting the competitive balance. they've been in trouble separately from that

just look at another caa team in delaware...they were languishing in the second half of the shillinglaw tenure....6 straight losing seasons and no tournament berths. in comes deluca, in his second season they're 10-5, his fourth full season they're in the ncaa quarterfinals....a lesson for hofstra. time for fresh leadership

Just landed in Syracuse. Headed to see if Loyola can beat Colgate tomorrow…will be a tough tight game…Colgate is no joke…just as Penn State 😳

You didn't happen to see the OSU team in the airport on their way to
Ithica? Too bad the games have the same start time or you could have seen a double header.

You didn't happen to see the OSU team in the airport on their way to
Ithica? Too bad the games have the same start time or you could have seen a double header.
I did not see the Buckeyes…tough test for them tomorrow.

Actually, the biggest losers were the Ivies. True they do not allow redshirting, but you can get an extra year for an ACL You just take a semester (or quarter if you're Dartmouth) off and not graduate. Notre Dame wouldn't have won last year without Yale post grads. Princeton is all over the top teams this year.
Correct. Ivies also took a hit as well…but they have the top end talent up and down the rosters anyway…

hofstra was on a downward trajectory long before covid and the transfer portal...and they've lost to teams like binghamton, fairfield, st. john's, merrimack, marist in recent years....that has nothing to do with the b1g and acc tilting the competitive balance. they've been in trouble separately from that

just look at another caa team in delaware...they were languishing in the second half of the shillinglaw tenure....6 straight losing seasons and no tournament berths. in comes deluca, in his second season they're 10-5, his fourth full season they're in the ncaa quarterfinals....a lesson for hofstra. time for fresh leadership
Seth Tierney is a good coach. It looked like he really had them heading in the right direction when he first got there. Despite being on LI and surrounded with talent, Hofstra is a tough place to recruit and win.

Hofstra is a small, expensive private school that is fairly mediocre academically. The campus is kind of meh with busy Hempstead Turnpike running right through the middle. It considered mostly a commuter school. Most LI kids with options don’t want to stick around to go to Hofstra and it might be even tougher to recruit kids from off the island.

Within their own conference, Stony Brook is a more attractive option for many LI kids. SBU has been investing a lot of money in the entire university, is a much better academic institution and is a lot less expensive, especially for local in state kids. On top of all that, the CAA is a 3rd tier conference with a decent gap between them and the BE / Patriot league, let alone B1G / ACC / Ivy. They just don’t have the resources even though without FB they are arguably the #2 sport on campus.

Danowski is a hell of a coach and had a fairly average record for all his time at Hofstra. Once he got to Duke he took them to levels they hadn’t been to before. Not sure there is a coach out there that would really get drastically different results.

I put a lot of stock in coaching and recruiting. Hofstra has a solid past and with the right person can at minimum compete for the top spot in their conference of not better. They put money into the program. I’m not sure if Tierney is it but the right person can make an impact.

If you can’t win at Duke and UNC and UVA, then youre not a good coach….they have so many advantages…I don’t give guys at those schools too much credit for winning…certain schools it very easy to win at…you basically just have to be an average coach to win big at Duke and UNC and UVA

The football example is…

To win at Michigan State like Mark Dantonio did (dominated Michigan for over a decade)…you have to be an elite coach

Conversely, I think a monkey could win football games at Michigan and Ohio State

And I don’t think I’m wrong…

Some coaches earn their paycheck…some are just in great situations…oh and some cheat

Last edited:
Hofstra has come to play. 2-1. They got a cheap one.

We have 12 guys out. That’s insane

3-2

Let their guy get to the middle. Need faceoffs

We are deep in the bench

4-2 Ross sniping

Stoller playing great. A number of point blank saves and making some sharp outlet passes.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Surprised by the struggles at the face off. Especially the ground balls that Hofstra is winning.

D was looking shaky to start but have settled in and playing solid. Faceoffs and clearing are concerns.

Started watching and score was 5-3 and now 8-3 … looks like the freshman goalie is settling in.

Reactions: Scarlet83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT