ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Men's Soccer to Finish Out Big Ten Play at Penn State Tuesday

Always awesome to beat PSU and congrats on finishing in the top half of the conference and getting a home game (if Indy loses or ties with UMD) I think RU will finish 3rd!!!!

Maybe this is one of our best shots to win a B1G tourney this year!

6yb0i2.jpg

Well played match by two pretty even teams. RU controlled the possession well particularly in the first half and scored two goals on nicely placed shots. Things got a little dicey in the second half after PSU started to press and disrupted the RU possession game. They got one back off a scramble out front after a corner and then had a player red carded and were forced to play with 10 for about the last 25 minutes of the match. I thought the red card was questionable but I don't know that much about the criteria used. PSUstill mounted some pressure and decent attempts at getting the equalizer as RU did not really take advantage of counter opportunities late in the match. Agree that our freshman goalie was good all night and had no shot on the one goal against.

RU plays UCLA over the weekend which is a rematch of the 1990 finals when Lalas was on the banks,

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Always awesome to beat PSU and congrats on finishing in the top half of the conference and getting a home game (if Indy loses or ties with UMD) I think RU will finish 3rd!!!!

First time we have beaten them at PSU since 1993

The cliche doesn't always suit reality, but this time, I truly think there is a team that the others don't want to play in the B1G tournament, and their name is Rutgers...

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
The cliche doesn't always suit reality, but this time, I truly think there is a team that the others don't want to play in the B1G tournament, and their name is Rutgers...
Get that quarterfinal W and you may be right. I like our odds here TBH.

Get that quarterfinal W and you may be right. I like our odds here TBH.
Yeah, I mean we were a hair from beating the #1 team in the B1G this year, actually had a 2-0 lead and let up 3 goals in a row to lose to Maryland.

No reason we can’t get hot and make a run in the tournament, though it will be tough since all games are played at the highest seed’s home pitch.

They guys on the Penn State broadcast the other night thought that if RU beats UCLA this weekend they would be in pretty good shape for the NCAA tournament. They described UCLA has being highly rated but when the rankings scrolled below on the broadcast I did not see them in the top 20.

They guys on the Penn State broadcast the other night thought that if RU beats UCLA this weekend they would be in pretty good shape for the NCAA tournament. They described UCLA has being highly rated but when the rankings scrolled below on the broadcast I did not see them in the top 20.
NOt ranked but 8-5-1 so would still be a good victory and a bad loss

RU plays UCLA over the weekend which is a rematch of the 1990 finals when Lalas was on the banks,
Technically not a rematch as they've played each other again since then, at least a couple times. I recall attending home games at Yurcak against UCLA when I was a student in the 90s and again in the early 2000s.

As rematches go, the 1990 national title game was actually a rematch as Rutgers had beaten UCLA during the regular season in 1990 and then they met again in the national final.

Reactions: SirScarlet
Technically not a rematch as they've played each other again since then, at least a couple times. I recall attending home games at Yurcak against UCLA when I was a student in the 90s and again in the early 2000s.

As rematches go, the 1990 national title game was actually a rematch as Rutgers had beaten UCLA during the regular season in 1990 and then they met again in the national final.
Very interesting on the 1990 rematch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT