ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers now has 4 teams Ranked!

MLAX just moved up to # 16 in the Cascade poll. Should be higher in the coaches poll.

Big week for the program.

Super proud of these teams.

That being said, I always chuckle in regards to how people use stats. It's as if this said, "One of only two teams in the country to have an athletic director who was born on a Tuesday, sang in his 4th grade chorus, only bets on Red in Roulette, and can speak Dutch."

ARMY has been a nemesis of ours in men's lax.
The fact we took care of them was a big step, they've snapped us back to reality way to many times.

And yet we have DB's in the press questioning why we're in the Big Ten.

Reactions: RU-AGK
I have a hard time seeing all this success at the non-revenue sports and not feeling like Julie had to be doing at least some things pretty well.
Good god, NO! Julie was the female reincarnation of Satan, didn't you realize that?

Julie helped move the needle. Hobbs is busting it out of its casing.

I have a hard time seeing all this success at the non-revenue sports and not feeling like Julie had to be doing at least some things pretty well.

I think the correlation is that things started to turn when we were asked to join the B1G which coincided with Julie's term. The exposure for sports like wrestling (how great was it to watch Ashnault win live on the B1G Network on Sunday?) makes RU more attractive.

Julie helped move the needle. Hobbs is busting it out of its casing.
I surely hope this is accurate Cali. But the credit for our success today has to go to Julie or perhaps even Pernetti. These teams did not just get better in the last 2 months. Now it's time for the revenue sports to step it up.

Next 2 games are important for lax. Even though Princeton is having a down year, wins over them and Stoney Brook would solidify their place in the rankings.

Reactions: Rutgers8086

yup...support, some extra cash, coaches, attention...she put these programs well positioned cannot deny that

Reactions: 17Q66
Julie gets all the credit here her mouth was her downfall her organized Brain was her virtue She knew what to do and she started making progress.

I surely hope this is accurate Cali. But the credit for our success today has to go to Julie or perhaps even Pernetti. These teams did not just get better in the last 2 months. Now it's time for the revenue sports to step it up.

Please sir Pernetti hired Rice, Jordan and Flood I say no more. Tim in hindsight was a disaster. And I love him, but he was not an AD at least Hermann was a real AD but has a case of "trench mouth"; every time she opened her mouth she was in a hole (trench)

Hobbs has absolutely nothing to do with this year's improvement of these sports. Will he help the future, absolutely. New training center, which began under JH, and him finding the funding will be his best deed to start his time at RU.

I never said it did, but I can tell you he is already having an impact on the men's lacrosse team. This year. Right now.

Next 2 games are important for lax. Even though Princeton is having a down year, wins over them and Stoney Brook would solidify their place in the rankings.

Wins over those two programs in a 4 day span would be huge. Both teams have talent. Don't let the score of PU's last game fool you, as their best player who does everything was suspended. We play on Friday and they play on Sat. against Maryland. Let's hope the extra day helps us and Maryland beats the crap out of them physically when they play, which could very well happen.

Need to get past Stony Brook though. That is going to be a test.

I never said it did, but I can tell you he is already having an impact on the men's lacrosse team. This year. Right now.

How? Same coach, no new class of recruits, no new facilities that I'm aware of and the schedule was in place before he took the office.

How? Same coach, no new class of recruits, no new facilities that I'm aware of and the schedule was in place before he took the office.

I'm not a liberty to say. I just know its true.

It isn't disparaging Julie. Like I said, she definitely moved the needle. It is a bigger compliment to Hobbs.

It should also be noted that TP hired Coach Brecht, along with the wrestling coach, men's soccer coach, and the women's coach who was an assistant at the time. Any success at RU is a team effort.

Many of these coaches are on their third AD. Continuity is going to be very good for them, especially with Hobbs.

And yet we have DB's in the press questioning why we're in the Big Ten.

With the year we just had in football and men's hoops, the only sports that truly matter to most sportswriters and fans, it's not surprising people would be critical of RU. I like to think of football ias a one year blip, which Ash will rectify, but last year was bad. However, we've been very bad in hoops for a long time. The Olympic sports success is awesome, for me, since I follow them to some extent, but most really don't care...

Was there a copy/paste error? Otherwise, it looks like the lax coach failed to mention the lax team as one of the four ranked teams.

Minor point, though - great outcome.

lax is the one that tweeted it so it's kinda implied especially if you're following the head lax coach...

Mulcahey hired Goodale and JH promoted the soccer coach.

TP could have hired Mother Theresa, he still hired Flood and Rice which are totally unforgiveable.

Wrestling has ZERO to do with Julie. And why are we talking about rankings for fall sports? I mean it's nice and all, but it's March.

This has as much to do with joining the Big Ten as anything, and we all know no AD had as much to do with that as our location. So I will credit the coaches and not Julie, Tim, Bob, Satan or anybody else. Excellent job, coaches. You CAN win at Rutgers.

Wrestling has ZERO to do with Julie. And why are we talking about rankings for fall sports? I mean it's nice and all, but it's March.

This has as much to do with joining the Big Ten as anything, and we all know no AD had as much to do with that as our location. So I will credit the coaches and not Julie, Tim, Bob, Satan or anybody else. Excellent job, coaches. You CAN win at Rutgers.

not so fast....she opened the purse strings so Goodale could go after Pritzloff and bring him in. This was very important to the current growth of the program. A wrestling donor I talked to said that Goodale spoke highly of Julie and she gave the wrestling program everything they asked for.

the increase in attention for Olympic sports is notable. Uncle Bob and Tim didnt pay attention to it. Julie had to since we were stepping up in the Big 10 and Hobbs will also do wonders. Its not just about football and hoops. These other sports matter...more importantly success in these other sports will drive donations that will end up helping all facilities get built. Thats something that for some reason was never tapped with Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob definitely left the Olympic sports to die on the vine. It wasn't by accident though. He funneled money into the football program to bolster that, thinking it would rise the tide of all boats.

TP moved the needle, and better funding allowed Julie to move it even more. Now Hobbs is going to blow the lid off of it.

I had a conversation with Pernetti shortly after he was hired and he told me straight up that we are sponsoring more sports than we are capable of fully supporting to a championship level. The strategy was to fully invest in the sports in which we have a legitimate shot at winning national championships and support the rest the best that we can and try to get boosters for those sports to make up any shortfall. The sports he specifically mentioned were m/w lax, m/w soccer, wrestling and maybe gymnastics but not sure on that one. His feeling was that in sports like track and field, baseball, softball, golf, etc. that the gap was so wide between us and the top schools in terms of weather, local HS talent and facilities that to try to bring these sports up to that level would be near impossible with the funding we have available to invest. So it is not surprising that we are seeing these sports (at least MLAX, M/WSOC & Wrestling) finally rising. These are the sports in which we SHOULD be competing at a national level consistently.

We definitely should. Get our MLAX facility issue solved, full out of state funding for ships, and support funding raised and we are cooking with gas. Booster involvement/donations need to continue to rise.

Super proud of these teams.

That being said, I always chuckle in regards to how people use stats. It's as if this said, "One of only two teams in the country to have an athletic director who was born on a Tuesday, sang in his 4th grade chorus, only bets on Red in Roulette, and can speak Dutch."
Yep. Old one from "Pravda". Soviet and U.S. cars run a 20 lap race. U.S. car wins.

Pravda reporter: "Glorious car of the prolateriate finishes second in 20 lap race. Capitalist car finishes second to last."

Who hired the two soccer coaches, the men's lax coach and the wrestling coach? Credit to them.

Wow. That is 110% not true.

I don't even know where you would get that idea. Julie was a big supporter of Rutgers Wrestling (and why shouldn't she be, it is the only olympic sport turning into a revenue sport). They constantly wanted to work with the program to see what they could do to make matches more attractive to the fans, and to see what Scott needed to get where we are going.

It was under Julie's term at Rutgers that the school partnered with the SKWC (which is separate from the school) to make it so that donors can give money to SKWC and get priority points for their gifts. That was never possible before. As a result of this effort, we now have olympic hopefuls training at RU, and working out with our wrestlers (Demas, Hadid, Graff right now, we also had Molinaro for a year). That is what every top program in the country has, and what we now have.

It was also through that partnership and Julie's willingness and creativity that we brought Donnie Pritzlaff to Rutgers - this was a lateral hire, that saw probably the BEST assistant coach in the country leave a top ten program to come to Rutgers to work in the same position. This is the stuff of managerial genius.

These two things, more than anything else, are the reason this team outperforms right now. Unlike some other sports, where coaching is everything, to become a better wrestler, you need to train with better wrestlers. Julie flat out made that happen.

Reactions: MoobyCow
Who hired the two soccer coaches, the men's lax coach and the wrestling coach? Credit to them.
Mulcahy hired Goodale, Pernetti hired Donigan and O'Neill as an assistant. Julie elevated O'Neill to HC.

Uncle Bob definitely left the Olympic sports to die on the vine. It wasn't by accident though. He funneled money into the football program to bolster that, thinking it would rise the tide of all boats.
And let's not forget that he cut 6 Olympic sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT