ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Rushing Records.

RUtix4me

All American
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2015
With Monangai rushing for 143 yards yesterday I realized he is over 1,000 yards for his career. I decide to look through our rushing records to look at top alltime rushers.

I saw Toady Bracher rushing for 215 yards in a game in 2015, so googled his name and of course it was 1915. Small error, but should be fixed nonetheless.

I love going through records, and stats. One that stood out was just how good Terrell Willis was, and then you also look at Hicks an Martin and realize what happened once Ash got here.

Three great combos of RB clear as well

1. Rice and Leonard
2. Willis and Presley
3. Hicks and Martin

any others come to mind?

Reactions: RU848789
With Monangai rushing for 143 yards yesterday I realized he is over 1,000 yards for his career. I decide to look through our rushing records to look at top alltime rushers.

I saw Toady Bracher rushing for 215 yards in a game in 2015, so googled his name and of course it was 1915. Small error, but should be fixed nonetheless.

I love going through records, and stats. One that stood out was just how good Terrell Willis was, and then you also look at Hicks an Martin and realize what happened once Ash got here.

1. Rice and Leonard
2. Willis and Presley
3. Hicks and Martin

any others come to mind?
Hopefully Monangie and Brown.

This message board’s Joe Btfsplk.
Another of the negatoids has come on as the game nears. Worry about this season …don’t worry about who may or might not return. One of the few boards where people attempt to think they know. Someone may but most schools in the B1G have 5-6 deep some even more.RedRich65 is a classic

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_Twister
Did JJ lead nation in running one year?
I don't think so but I found a bit of trivia featuring JJ.
He was the first ever WFL (World Football League) player to rush for 1000 yards with the Memphis Southmen.

images

Edit: A little research found that JJ did not lead the nation in rushing but did lead the nation in scoring. He scored 126 points. Some of the others in the top 10 Steve Davis-Oklahoma 108, John Cappelletti - Penn State 102 (Heisman winner), Mark Van Egghen - Colgate 90, Anthony Davis - USC 84 and tied for 19th was freshman Tony Dorsett - Pitt with 78.
The nations leading rusher in 1973 was Mark Kellar of Northern Illinois. JJ was sixth behind Dorsett, Cappelletti, tOSU's Archie Griffin and Roosevelt Leaks of Texas.

Last edited:
All time NCAA career rushing record = Donnel Pumphrey, San Diego State (2013-16) — 6,405 yards in 54 games.

Ray Rice had 4,926 in 35 games (2012 in his last season)
Rice's season average was 1,642.
If Rice returned for a healthy senior year - and he ran for his 1,642 average - he would have had the title at 6,568 yards (with about 47 games)

Willis was a stud!
Too bad he didnt stay for his senior year. I made a shocking discovery. Steve Politi wrote a disparaging article about Rutgers in relation to Terrell's time on the Banks. Graber throws Willis under the bus and not a good look for Graber (but Politi capitalized on it). I'm amazed Politi worked as many angles as he could to create divisiveness towards RU football during a time when the focus should have been solely on Rice's accomplishments of becoming the all time leading rusher at Rutgers.

Willis bitter towards Rutgers

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Too bad he didnt stay for his senior year. I made a shocking discovery. Steve Politi wrote a disparaging article about Rutgers in relation to Terrell's time on the Banks. Graber throws Willis under the bus and not a good look for Graber (but Politi capitalized on it). I'm amazed Politi worked as many angles as he could to create divisiveness towards RU football during a time when the focus should have been solely on Rice's accomplishments of becoming the all time leading rusher at Rutgers.

To be fair …it was Willis’s record he broke .
I got no problem with that article . I think it made Willis look bad and not rutgers.

Fun facts.
In Ray Rice's penultimate year at Rutgers (2006), Ray had 499 yards on 93 carries (5.4 ypc) and 6 TDS; Monangain has 357 yards on 58 carries (6.2 ypc) and 5 TDs.
Are you saying those are Rice's 2006 season stats? Because I see:

RUSHING
GP
Att
Gain
Loss
Net
Avg
TD
Long
Avg/G
13​
335​
1831​
37​
1794​
5.4​
20​
63​
138.0​

• Wow
Reactions: Knight Shift

1. Rice and Leonard
2. Willis and Presley
3. Hicks and Martin

any others come to mind?
Ahh Willis.. he left way too early. Man he got some bad advice.. or was that his academics weren't cutting it.. while we did not have the academic support we needed.

Anyway, after becoming aware of his speed, I recall watching a KO return from the upper deck where you can see the plays develop. While he was still the last man on the field you could see a crack open in the coverage and you could see he saw that... I said "He's gone!".. and he was... just shot through that opening and left everyone in the dust.

Some dude here has a handle "willisneverran43"... he did that day. His outstanding speed was evident. Of course, I had no stopwatch.. but lightning is lightning.

Are you saying those are Rice's 2006 season stats? Because I see:

RUSHING
GP
Att
Gain
Loss
Net
Avg
TD
Long
Avg/G
13​
335​
1831​
37​
1794​
5.4​
20​
63​
138.0​
Whoops, meant to say in his first 3 games, and edited above. I also note that I typed Kyle's name as Monangain, but that's appropriate, since he's gaining yards.

Sorry for the miscue. I was rushing to get back to work.

Presley and Willis were my first real intro to Rutgers football. My best friends dad would take me to the games. And ray rice was a beast. I can still recall his coming out party at UNC. And that’s the spark plug ray rice. Or something like that the announcer said.

Ahh Willis.. he left way too early. Man he got some bad advice.. or was that his academics weren't cutting it.. while we did not have the academic support we needed.

Anyway, after becoming aware of his speed, I recall watching a KO return from the upper deck where you can see the plays develop. While he was still the last man on the field you could see a crack open in the coverage and you could see he saw that... I said "He's gone!".. and he was... just shot through that opening and left everyone in the dust.

Some dude here has a handle "willisneverran43"... he did that day. His outstanding speed was evident. Of course, I had no stopwatch.. but lightning is lightning.
Willis inexplicably ran only a 4.61 40 at the NFL combine (at least according to the site I found the info on). I remember he could make some extreme cuts (mostly jump cuts) and was explosive. I think Sam Brown actually has significantly higher top end speed (documented at 20.5 mph) than Willis.

Willis inexplicably ran only a 4.61 40 at the NFL combine (at least according to the site I found the info on). I remember he could make some extreme cuts (mostly jump cuts) and was explosive. I think Sam Brown actually has significantly higher top end speed (documented at 20.5 mph) than Willis.
Maybe he bulked up or something... or everyone we played against for a couple years was slow as molasses.

yup, Politi is no friend to RU. every RU fan should shun him

We need confirmation from @willisneverrana43 on this. One of the better screen names on this site!!! Don't be afraid to chime in here- Bob's not going to yell at you in this thread. 😂

Reactions: RUBOB72
definitely an issue with him that day as he was 2nd fastest man on the team and believe he was 4.31

never saw a single person catch him from behind and he would routinely pull away from corners

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT