ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers sports scores big in proposed N.J. budget, will get $100M for arena, practice facility

Cuse fans that are from NJ will have a field day with this news
They already rip us as being a drain on the NJ budget

Long overdue for the RAC renovation.lets hope the construction starts within two years because that will help with recruiting.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Cuse fans that are from NJ will have a field day with this news
They already rip us as being a drain on the NJ budget
They can lump it!
giphy.gif

Hope you guys all realize we are already paying for this with all the inflation. This money comes from those giant payouts Biden made to blue states from the supposed "CoVid Emergency Funding". That caused the inflation.. along with other moves. So.. we are all paying for it already. But good for Rutgers.. because its expenses will be affected by the inflation as well.
Take it here..... We like to talk BB here.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/forums/current-events-politics-and-off-topic-banter.10/

Hope you guys all realize we are already paying for this with all the inflation. This money comes from those giant payouts Biden made to blue states from the supposed "CoVid Emergency Funding". That caused the inflation.. along with other moves. So.. we are all paying for it already. But good for Rutgers.. because its expenses will be affected by the inflation as well.

as long as we don’t have to inflate that bubble for much longer, I couldn’t give a shat where this came from.

Reactions: rume

Billions of federal tax dollars flow every year from blue states to red states so your premise is wrong. Would rather have tax dollars support higher education and research programs than go to states who refuse to support their own citizens including paying for good education and then expect hardworking--and educated--people in blue states to pick up the tab. The funded programs also will support innovation and business.

So serious question, I have a hard
time guessing how much of that 100 goes
to the FB practice facilities and how much goes to reno at the RAC…

So at the end of the day what do we think
This gets us at each?

How much more still needs to be raised
for each?

Will they protect our home court advantage as priority 1B in this renovation, who is going to ensure they don’t make it one millionth of 1% easier to play here as an opponent…?

EDIT:
Wow I forgot to say, I’m super stoked and thankful to those who made this happen.
Really great news!

Last edited:
The whole system is a joke.

it was directly related to what OP said... take it up with him. My response is on-topic and informative and I am not stopping your "we" from talking BB.
Sorry, but I just looked at the OP. Nothing political, nothing about blue states. Just a link to the $100 million announcement article.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Cuse fans? No , Seton Hall fans.
Them also , but the Cuse fans have two permanent threads about RU, one thread decades long, to discuss any misfortunes
We have.
A common theme is our being a financial drain in the state
I doubt the hall fans are as obsessed, or not as visible about it

Sorry, but I just looked at the OP. Nothing political, nothing about blue states. Just a link to the $100 million announcement article.
yeah.. it was about the $100M and where it came from is important imho. "blue states" was not meant to be derogatory, which, I assume, could be a reason to complain. It is a common phrase used to identify a group of states. So is red and purple. It is, or should be, common knowledge that the huge CoVid relief bills sent a lot of money to certain states and that money is being used in a variety of ways. THIS $100M to Rutgers, again, imho, is one of those ways.

But you are correct.. it took 5 posts for someone, not me, to go political and you had no issues with that. I wonder why.

Reactions: bac2therac
Them also , but the Cuse fans have two permanent threads about RU, one thread decades long, to discuss any misfortunes
We have.
A common theme is our being a financial drain in the state
I doubt the hall fans are as obsessed, or not as visible about it
Didn't Holloway recently say that RU sports is 2% of the budget and 90% of the complaints, basically deal with it.

Didn't Holloway recently say that RU sports is 2% of the budget and 90% of the complaints, basically deal with it.
They usually don’t get into the whole budget, Just makes it sound like it puts NJ in a worse financial position and a waste of taxpayer money

Humongous for Rutgers University and Rutgers Athletics!
Espeically in light of the expansion news. College sports is only going to get more cutthroat from here. NYC can only carry Rutgers so far, and we need to be competitive in basketball (and of course espeically football) to ensure that we have a place at the big boys table.

Keep political crap off this board!

Reactions: YoucancallmeRay
You need to take a course in economics and look at the world with an open mind. I think you will then have a better handle of why we have the inflation we have. If you want to find political scapegoats and are being objective there is blame for both parties.

The inflation bus left the station well before Biden (and Trump) became president.

Reactions: YoucancallmeRay
Espeically in light of the expansion news. College sports is only going to get more cutthroat from here. NYC can only carry Rutgers so far, and we need to be competitive in basketball (and of course espeically football) to ensure that we have a place at the big boys table.
Not sure where you have been, but this so on the money. On the surface the news may be great, but if we fail to succeed in football we will be gone. The minute the numerator decreases schools will be looking to decrease the denominator.

Did Governor Murphy have an inkling, before this announced funding, that the Big Ten expansion was a distinct possibility?

You need to take a course in economics and look at the world with an open mind. I think you will then have a better handle of why we have the inflation we have. If you want to find political scapegoats and are being objective there is blame for both parties.

The inflation bus left the station well before Biden (and Trump) became president.
Always nice to see a cocksure post so easily refuted.. the last 2 years here are 2021 and 2022

and spending.. yeah.. no correlation whatsoever.. sure
U-S-federal-budget-receipts-and-outlays-2027-Statista.png

Last edited:
We know there is inflation and don't need charts to show it. There are so many reasons why and the one you list is so small relative to the others. COVID shutting down the economy and the reopening was obviously the primary reason and the match that lit the fire.

Giving a reason for inflation of a COVID emergency fund when global central banks are increasing balance sheets over 30 trillion dollars and the US is running trillion dollar deficits is silly. It's like blaming a missed free throw in the 1st half for a 28 point loss.

In 2019 we supposedly had the best economy in the history of the world (not my words) yet we ran a deficit of 1 trillion dollars (before COVID).

Not sure where you have been, but this so on the money. On the surface the news may be great, but if we fail to succeed in football we will be gone. The minute the numerator decreases schools will be looking to decrease the denominator.

Look at it from a different perspective....if Minnesota is at the bottom in football for the next 20 years straight - are they getting kicked out of the BIG? If the BIG conference dissolves, then yes, RU would have issues. But based on the news, dont think that is happening anytime sòon. I also dont generally think conferences are in the paracice of kicking out member schools. If it was soley based on football performance, the SEC would have already kicked Vanderbilt out already.

Look at it from a different perspective....if Minnesota is at the bottom in football for the next 20 years straight - are they getting kicked out of the BIG? If the BIG conference dissolves, then yes, RU would have issues. But based on the news, dont think that is happening anytime sòon. I also dont generally think conferences are in the paracice of kicking out member schools. If it was soley based on football performance, the SEC would have already kicked Vanderbilt out already.
Agreed, a more likely scenario would be revenue not being equal and perhaps two divisions within the conference. Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota Illinois and Indiana getting the same revenue of Michigan and Ohio State may not continue. Especially if a rival smaller conference emerges with the likes of Notre Dame and Texas and they look to poach Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State

and spending.. yeah.. no correlation whatsoever.. sure
U-S-federal-budget-receipts-and-outlays-2027-Statista.png
I am not debating that as a factor, but a minor one. Reopening from COVID made inflation inevitable, but the magnitude of inflation was avoidable. The Federal Reserve was increasing balance sheet $120 billion per month and keeping rates at zero is a major blame. The tax cut of 2017 is to blame as well.

Bottom line is inflation was inevitable with all the increase in and of financial assets inconjuction with the liquidity we have. We are seeing the antidote to inflation right now with the slashing of financial assets. Government spending is only a small part of the problem.

I am not debating that as a factor, but a minor one. Reopening from COVID made inflation inevitable, but the magnitude of inflation was avoidable. The Federal Reserve was increasing balance sheet $120 billion per month and keeping rates at zero is a major blame. The tax cut of 2017 is to blame as well.

Bottom line is inflation was inevitable with all the increase in and of financial assets inconjuction with the liquidity we have. We are seeing the antidote to inflation right now with the slashing of financial assets. Government spending is only a small part of the problem.
After 2017 the inflation rate went down, then back to just above 2017.. then the lowest since 2015. While spending increased at a steady rate, as did revenues, though they did not keep pace.. the covid spending was drastically higher.. as is inflation. It is the spending. To bring it back to Rutgers sports, the $100M is nice, but the Gov had many hears to make such an investment and why does he do it only now? I think it is because of the giant CoVid monies slush fund. And given how inflation affects Rutgers $6B yearly budget, $100M is not nearly enough. It does represent almost 3% of the $3.4B the state received. I suppose there are a lot of itchy palms throughout the state.

So far this year inflation is 4.84% according to the bar graph. 4.8% of $6B is $288M. Will Rutgers just raise student costs by that number to make up for it? Will the State step up in its regular contributions? The prior year was over 7%.

Last edited:
After 2017 the inflation rate went down, then back to just above 2017.. then the lowest since 2015. While spending increased at a steady rate, as did revenues, though they did not keep pace.. the covid spending was drastically higher.. as is inflation. It is the spending. To bring it back to Rutgers sports, the $100M is nice, but the Gov had many hears to make such an investment and why does he do it only now? I think it is because of the giant CoVid monies slush fund. And given how inflation affects Rutgers $6B yearly budget, $100M is not nearly enough.
If it’s spending why is inflation everywhere around the world and not just in the US. US spending didn’t cause inflation globally by itself.

If it’s spending why is inflation everywhere around the world and not just in the US. US spending didn’t cause inflation globally by itself.
Because the US economy affects EVERYTHING, as do those countries that followed the US lead on CoVid spending. Free money here meant more demand for products world-wide.. and the supply chain issues with covid shutdowns exacerbated that. No excess spending on give-aways here would have lowered demand.

Because the US economy affects EVERYTHING, as do those countries that followed the US lead on CoVid spending. Free money here meant more demand for products world-wide.. and the supply chain issues with covid shutdowns exacerbated that. No excess spending on give-aways here would have lowered demand.
I have no doubt that it was a factor but there are many more. Fed and supply shocks to name a couple more. Be realistic

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT