ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers-St. John’s exhibition - Sun. Nov. 5th, 1PM @ the RAC

The Rutgers and St. John's men's basketball teams will square off in a charity exhibition game on Sunday, Nov. 5, at the Rutgers Athletic Center, both schools announced today. All net proceeds from the contest, which will tip-off at 1 p.m., will be donated to American Red Cross Disaster Relief.

http://www.scarletknights.com/news/...y-charity-basketball-exhibition-on-nov-5.aspx

22730365_1374771705983286_7764377101706353200_n.jpg

great way for fans to kick back some of the saving from the football game move back to Rutgers...

I guess this is a new thing. My daughter goes to a MAAC school and they just announced one against a local opponent. Also for Hurricane relief

2 questions:

1. Can Peter Kiss play if this is an exhibition?
2. Is the game played with regular season rules meaning 20 minute halves etc?

Thanks

People gave Coach Mullin too much s—t. He inherited a roster that was arguably worse than what Eddie left Coach P and he is bringing a pretty good team to the RAC two years later.

please tell me you're kidding

I believe the best player on Mullin's roster in 15-16 was the Mussini (sp?) kid. Mullin's first team that beat Eddie's last squad in the Garden was a joke. Two years later He brings in one of the best backcourts in the Big East plus Bashir Ahmed. I also like what I've heard about Marvin Clark and Justin Simon should help. They may have been a real threat if Sid Wilson didn't transfer. They've been picked either 5th or 6th in every Big East preview behind three Top 20 teams and Providence (and in some Creighton).

They were 7-10 in league last year, beat Cuse by 30, and beat SHU in the Garden.

Why would I be kidding?

Last edited:
I believe the best player on Mullin's roster in 15-16 was the Mussini (sp?) kid. Mullin's first team that beat Eddie's last squad in the Garden was a joke. Two years later He brings in one of the best backcourts in the Big East plus Bashir Ahmed. I also like what I've heard about Marvin Clark and Justin Simon should help. They may have been a real threat if Sid Wilson didn't transfer. They've been picked either 5th or 6th in every Big East preview behind three Top 20 teams and Providence (and in some Creighton).

They were 7-10 in league last year, beat Cuse by 30, and beat SHU in the Garden.

Why would I be kidding?
Because the roster that Pikiell inherited wasn't even a team.

I was at the game in Queens two years ago. The Johnnies had more talent than RU did. RU dominated the first half but in the last 8 minutes RU missed 6 of 7 free throws (Daniels and Sanders). We gave them the game. We lost in the last few seconds. Daniels hit a half court shot but it was ruled it was a fraction of a second after the buzzer. It would have been a winner for RU. The Johnnies do have two outstanding guards plus some good forwards as well. I hope we can actually outplay them in this game.

If CBB was a staircase in a split level, the St. John’s program in Chris Mullin’s first year was on that landing when the stairs turn (or a step or two away) while we were still at the bottom of the basement stairs after repeatedly falling down them.

Because the roster that Pikiell inherited wasn't even a team.

Corey, Freeman, Nigel and Williams was better than what Mullin inherited in my opinion. All that written I do think SJU is a bit overrated this year.

Look at the roster linked below. Its awful. Their 2nd best player might have been Durand Johnson who was a poor man's JJ Moore (not a compliment!). They were 1-17 in league.

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/stjo-m-baskbl-mtt-15-16.html

Last edited:
I was at the game in Queens two years ago. The Johnnies had more talent than RU did. RU dominated the first half but in the last 8 minutes RU missed 6 of 7 free throws (Daniels and Sanders). We gave them the game. We lost in the last few seconds. Daniels hit a half court shot but it was ruled it was a fraction of a second after the buzzer. It would have been a winner for RU. The Johnnies do have two outstanding guards plus some good forwards as well. I hope we can actually outplay them in this game.

They had a couple of African bigs who gave us (and only us) fits. We had the better players. That was an epically poorly coached RU team and that is saying something from a basketball program that had Fred Hill as its HC for four years.

Last edited:
St. John's 2015 was in no way a better roster than Rutgers 2016, lol. They were terrible that year, with a lucky win over Rutgers and a wtf win over Cuse. Lost like 16 games in a row in the Big East.

Reactions: RutgHoops
But, if I go to this game, I'm going to miss the Giants/Rams game being played at the same time!

Hmmmm. Tough decision ... not.

Go RU!!!

Nigel was not eligible in 2015. He was sitting out as a transfer.

I was comparing Mullin's first year roster (15-16) to Coach P's first year roster (16-17). Nigel was obviously on Coach P's first team.

Let's see what happens now that Mullin has talent. I get the sense he is Eddie 2.0. I'd be shocked to see them have success this year.

That's my take too. I still remember when he was "miked up" during RU's last game in Queens. Mullin sounded like a bad HS coach using timeouts to cheer-lead his team rather than draw up strategy and coach. Of course, that was his first year EVER as a basketball coach. Perhaps he's learned since then.

i bought four

if it's not a nice day i will be there. 60 degrees and sunny out nope.

Has this game been publicized at all? If I didn't see it on this board, I wouldn't even know the game was being played. I can't make it, so it doesn't really matter to me, but I'd guess there are a lot of season ticket holders who have no idea this game is this weekend.

[in edit -- looking through my emails from Rutgers, the only mention I can find of this game was this graphic (details unreadable on a cell phone) inserted into the Weekly Newsletter sent by Rutgers Athletics 2 days ago.

088c475e47fb5e3963b3276bd323c5fe.jpg
]

Last edited:
Has this game been publicized at all? If I didn't see it on this board, I wouldn't even know the game was being played. I can't make it, so it doesn't really matter to me, but I'd guess there are a lot of season ticket holders who have no idea this game is this weekend.

[in edit -- looking through my emails from Rutgers, the only mention I can find of this game was this graphic (details unreadable on a cell phone) inserted into the Weekly Newsletter sent by Rutgers Athletics 2 days ago.

088c475e47fb5e3963b3276bd323c5fe.jpg
]

The weekly news letter is a meaningful line communication so it's something you'll want to pay attention to more moving forward. I had no issues reading the content on my cell phone FWIW.

Looking forward to hearing the feedback after this game.

I had no issues reading the content on my cell phone FWIW.

I'm going to guess you're younger than me, and therefore find it easier to read small print or low contrast images. For most people in their late 40's or older, as your eyesight starts to deteriorate, the graphics images in the weekly email are hard to read, especially when reduced in size to fit a phone screen. If Rutgers wants their older fans to pay attention to the weekly emails, they should complement the graphics with text that automatically scales and reformats to fit the smaller screens of mobile devices.

Game should have been on home page of scarlet knights dot com. Even just a small call-out and link to buy tickets. Nowhere to be found . Tons of other shit on there though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT