ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers turned down the chance to erase at least $2 million in student loans. Why?

I don't know all the details and maybe there was a good reason to pass on this.

But I wonder if our legal eagles over thought this?

It is reminiscent of when Jon Corzine pledged to bird dog for donations on behalf of athletics. I forget if it was State, RU, or both, lawyers said that would be some kind of conflict of interest if the donors did any business with the university or State.

Sorry, I'm admittedly no lawyer, but that's nuts.

You think any governor of PA ever said to somebody who wanted to contribute to the Happy Valley cult "No - you can't do that because you have the contract to supply cafeteria trays to the Laurel Highlands State Prison"

Oh, and if we accepted it, and there turned out to be an whiff of fishiness to the deal, the crack team at the Star Ledger would howl about the corruption of the thing and decry the bunch of mooks that is running RU.

Last edited:
This group has never did a debt forgiveness deal with a public university, only private, and seemingly for profit, colleges. i can understand why Rutgers passed on this “deal.“ The whole article seemed very one-sided and frankly not even worthy of being a newsworthy story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT