ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Metuchen Makes List of Top 50 Places to Live in the US (Money)

They didn't rank the top 50 in any order - you're either on the list or not, which I actually think makes more sense, since the separation among the top 50 is probably pretty small and within the margin for error of their algorithm.
Sounds good to me!

Reactions: RU848789
Sounds good to me!
I thank God to have Metuchen as a neighbor,
for the last 48 years I live about a mile or a mile
and half from down town. in Edison, It is funny Edison township has no down town. Growing up I lived in Fords, part of Woodbridge township which
had 8 towns like Iselin, Colonia etc.
I belonged to Metuchen WMCA for decades
all my children too. My wife ran the night shift
for about 3 decades.

Last edited:
and half from down town. in Edison, It is funny Edison township has no down town. Growing up I lived in Fords, part of Woodbridge township which
for about 3 decades.
Edison's downtown, lol. Clara Barton section is kind of a downtown. We live a block from the Y, where my wife volunteers for some activities, and across from Tommy's Pond - great view of snow falling, lol.

Edison's downtown, lol. Clara Barton section is kind of a downtown. We live a block from the Y, where my wife volunteers for some activities, and across from Tommy's Pond - great view of snow falling, lol.
Yeah, we called it Edison Fords. The 7, 8, and
9th graders Went to Fords Jr high with us Fords kids. then we went to Woodbrige high and they went to Edison High. STRANGE.
We got out of Woodbrige High 11:30 AM.
for the next 3 years. Called split sessions because of the baby boom. Then in 1965 North Edison and Iselin opened up their new school.

for about 3 decades.
I lived in Fords from '80-83 (high school years) on Crows Mills Rd just off NB ave. Decent little DT in and around Ford's Jewelers. Not sure what it looks like today, tho.

While these lists are always a bit random and hokey, better to be on the list than not - and it's the only town on the list from NJ. We like it...

https://www.nj.com/news/2024/04/nj-...6kwgxxuI6WkLcE2NDla2iXOCQBT3lFhm9dOL0JHVBEI90
Do you think it would make top 10 if they thought you moved? 🤣🤣

BTW (serious question) do you try to play disc in the forecasted winds for tomorrow? That could be a nightmare! Can't golf in that but can ride the bike so Lindenwold to A.C. is the plan. If it is gusty from different directions I have outs in Atco, Hammonton, and Egg Harbor City.

Yeah, we called it Edison Fords. The 7, 8, and
9th graders Went to Fords Jr high with us Fords kids. then we went to Woodbrige high and they went to Edison High. STRANGE.
We got out of Woodbrige High 11:30 AM.
for the next 3 years. Called split sessions because of the baby boom. Then in 1965 North Edison and Iselin opened up their new school.
My HS in SNJ was also split sessions with the middle school, so we were done around noon - our HS went from graduating classes of around 250 in the early 70s to 400 in 1980 (our class) and is up around 800 now - they built a 2nd HS around 15 years ago.

Yes, went through split sessions too due to an expansion project. I was on the second half of the day in middle school, so we went roughly 10 am - 4 pm.

My HS in SNJ was also split sessions with the middle school, so we were done around noon - our HS went from graduating classes of around 250 in the early 70s to 400 in 1980 (our class) and is up around 800 now - they built a 2nd HS around 15 years ago.
What’s the second high school?

Do you think it would make top 10 if they thought you moved? 🤣🤣

BTW (serious question) do you try to play disc in the forecasted winds for tomorrow? That could be a nightmare! Can't golf in that but can ride the bike so Lindenwold to A.C. is the plan. If it is gusty from different directions I have outs in Atco, Hammonton, and Egg Harbor City.
I'll ask, lol. I'm actually playing in a tournament tomorrow at Allaire State Park - one of the best courses in NJ, as it's quite narrow/heavily wooded, so it's a really good challenge. Wind affects frisbee flight even more than golf ball flight, given how much more surface area (relative to mass) is exposed to the winds - it really wreaks havoc, but it's also kind of fun, since you'll see some crazy, wild shots. DG tourneys are never cancelled for winds and rarely for rain, unless it's a serious deluge or a lot of lightning is expected (t-storms usually just mean delays). Do you actually ride on 30 or do you take more back roads?

I'll ask, lol. I'm actually playing in a tournament tomorrow at Allaire State Park - one of the best courses in NJ, as it's quite narrow/heavily wooded, so it's a really good challenge. Wind affects frisbee flight even more than golf ball flight, given how much more surface area (relative to mass) is exposed to the winds - it really wreaks havoc, but it's also kind of fun, since you'll see some crazy, wild shots. DG tourneys are never cancelled for winds and rarely for rain, unless it's a serious deluge or a lot of lightning is expected (t-storms usually just mean delays). Do you actually ride on 30 or do you take more back roads?
Mostly Route 561. A short part of 73 between Berlin and Hammonton to get back on 561. Then 563 past the AC Airport to 40 for the final part into AC. I don't take the 30 Bridge in AC any longer as it's just to dangerous.
Enjoy the day, use the wind to your advantage when you can. Allaire is a great course.

I lived in Fords from '80-83 (high school years) on Crows Mills Rd just off NB ave. Decent little DT in and around Ford's Jewelers. Not sure what it looks like today, tho.
I lived in Edison for twenty years. Lived closer to Fords, but went to Clara Barton school as a kid. Often rode our bikes to Roosevelt Park and downtown Metuchen. I remember when the Venture theatre was still there.

It’s a friendly town for New Jersey. I would say about 75% of people will say hello (or nod and smile) if you pass them on the street (even across the street). The town culture is good in that way.

Ironically, I always thought Metuchen was underrated as a good town. Now it’s clearly overrated but I’ll take it ☺️.

Mostly Route 561. A short part of 73 between Berlin and Hammonton to get back on 561. Then 563 past the AC Airport to 40 for the final part into AC. I don't take the 30 Bridge in AC any longer as it's just to dangerous.
Enjoy the day, use the wind to your advantage when you can. Allaire is a great course.
Wasn't quite as windy as expected, but some of that is likely that the course is heavily wooded and protected from the winds - we rarely saw gusts over 30 mph, unlike many stations reporting 40-50+ mph gusts. Had a decent day, finishing 2nd and in the money, although the guy who finished first, who's one of the best 50+ players in the region, actually shot 2 fantastic rounds and would've finished 2nd in the non-age-restricted pro field.

Having grown up in SNJ about 3-4 miles SW of Lindenwold and regularly driving around the area and smoking weed (that was probably our major activity when we were 17, lol), plus frequently heading down the Shore I got to know all of those roads, even down towards AC as the AC Expwy sometimes would be packed with traffic. Nice day for a ride - not too warm or cool...

Wasn't quite as windy as expected, but some of that is likely that the course is heavily wooded and protected from the winds - we rarely saw gusts over 30 mph, unlike many stations reporting 40-50+ mph gusts. Had a decent day, finishing 2nd and in the money, although the guy who finished first, who's one of the best 50+ players in the region, actually shot 2 fantastic rounds and would've finished 2nd in the non-age-restricted pro field.

Having grown up in SNJ about 3-4 miles SW of Lindenwold and regularly driving around the area and smoking weed (that was probably our major activity when we were 17, lol), plus frequently heading down the Shore I got to know all of those roads, even down towards AC as the AC Expwy sometimes would be packed with traffic. Nice day for a ride - not too warm or cool...
Had only one scary gust passing the AC Airport on 563 (Tilton Road). Also passed Blue Heron Golf Club and golfers were out in force. I know a lot of golf balls were lost on a day like yesterday.
Don't know if you know these areas but my favorite ride is Lindenwold to Egg Harbor City and head south at what becomes Route 50 to Mays Landing and take 559 into Somers Point and stop at Charlie's. During July and August on those hot summer days I'll start at 5am. Thankfully Charlie's opens at 7:30 in the summer! Lol

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Had only one scary gust passing the AC Airport on 563 (Tilton Road). Also passed Blue Heron Golf Club and golfers were out in force. I know a lot of golf balls were lost on a day like yesterday.
Don't know if you know these areas but my favorite ride is Lindenwold to Egg Harbor City and head south at what becomes Route 50 to Mays Landing and take 559 into Somers Point and stop at Charlie's. During July and August on those hot summer days I'll start at 5am. Thankfully Charlie's opens at 7:30 in the summer! Lol
Played Blue Heron a few times after it opened, when I was playing a lot of golf all over NJ. Have a good friend in Mays Landing and we go to OCNJ almost every year for 2 weeks (plus occasional weekends off-season), so we get to Somers Point often - love Charlie's - didn't realize they open that early in the summer! Breakfast, I presume.

Played Blue Heron a few times after it opened, when I was playing a lot of golf all over NJ. Have a good friend in Mays Landing and we go to OCNJ almost every year for 2 weeks (plus occasional weekends off-season), so we get to Somers Point often - love Charlie's - didn't realize they open that early in the summer! Breakfast, I presume.
Yes the breakfast there is awesome. Fully served in a 16oz pint glass! 🤣
As you know the food there is great pub food.

The one thing that is definitely true about Metuchen is that Metuchen people love them some Metuchen. It's like the only town in NJ with some sort of self-pride.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Drove through last week. What's with the signage for the town garage sale resembling the Metallica logo? That's cool.

The town should purchase new garage doors for the fire station.

Drove through last week. What's with the signage for the town garage sale resembling the Metallica logo? That's cool.

The town should purchase new garage doors for the fire station.
7hGM5-0.jpeg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT