ADVERTISEMENT

OT- NJ is the Best State to Live In

Have you been to Tom's Tavern, and if yes, how is it?

smokehouse bbq off the Collingwood circle is good and cheap. Not much on atmosphere.
Never been seems more like a watering hole than decent bar food. Never heard a person who’s been there talk about the food. Will have to try the bbq place always pass by there but it’s usually during work.

Disagree about people who work in PA live in NJ. Bucks County is loaded with people who worked and lived in NJ and have moved to Bucks. Watching the traffic crossing into NJ every morning and returning after work is far greater than the reverse. If you want to say people that work in Philly want to live outside the city but most still live in the other PA Counties.

Tax wise working in Philly and living in PA is a wash vs NJ. If people work in NJ and live in PA outside of Philly that's different, but the property taxes are still high and some towns impose their own income tax on top of it.

Tax wise working in Philly and living in PA is a wash vs NJ. If people work in NJ and live in PA outside of Philly that's different, but the property taxes are still high and some towns impose their own income tax on top of it.
Except for Philly I haven't heard of any other town or county in the Eastern half of PA with an income tax. Doesn't mean there isn't but in the 5 counties I know of none. Bucks County has a resident tax that is about a $100 a year. Comparable home values between NJ River counties and Bucks, Bucks is much cheaper. Montgomery County is on par with NJ

Except for Philly I haven't heard of any other town or county in the Eastern half of PA with an income tax. Doesn't mean there isn't but in the 5 counties I know of none. Bucks County has a resident tax that is about a $100 a year. Comparable home values between NJ River counties and Bucks, Bucks is much cheaper. Montgomery County is on par with NJ

Not Eastern PA, but I know Pittsburgh does. HOWEVER, for all but the lowest income levels the combined Pa state tax + the local tax is less than the NJ income tax.

Not Eastern PA, but I know Pittsburgh does. HOWEVER, for all but the lowest income levels the combined Pa state tax + the local tax is less than the NJ income tax.
And that is one reason why PA roads are generally terrible compared to NJ roads. Services in NJ are generally better too.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
And that is one reason why PA roads are generally terrible compared to NJ roads. Services in NJ are generally better too.

Pa. is a 3.07% flat rate. For a NJ joint filing the rate is 3.50% at 70k of JOINT income (35k for a single filer). For joint income from 150k-500k (75k-500k for singles) the rate is 6.37%. And is goes up from. there. Roads and services are not better to the extent of that difference.

While the cost of living is lower in Arkansas( not CHEAP though), there is so much more that makes many areas of the South very desirable.

Every state has its advantages and disadvantage. Personally, I love Arkansas. But I also love visiting other states, including NJ.
I know the TV show Ozark is in Missouri.. allegedly.. but it really makes that region's natural beauty intriguing (had to type that would twice - the same way - and I am still not convinced I spelled it correctly)..

I know the TV show Ozark is in Missouri.. allegedly.. but it really makes that region's natural beauty intriguing (had to type that would twice - the same way - and I am still not convinced I spelled it correctly)..
Well come on down and experience it personally! Some people love Branson, Mo. personally I hate it. But I do love Eureka Springs, Ark and Devils Den state park in Arkansas.

Reactions: WhiteBus
According to a Wallet Hub. Five equally weighted categories: (1) Pork Roll availability (2) Courteous Drivers (3) Weather (4) Beaches (5) Pizza Quality!!

Actually, based on affordability, economy, education and health, quality of life and safety.

1. New Jersey
  2. Massachusetts
  3. New York
  4. Idaho
  5. Minnesota
  6. Wisconsin
  7. Utah
  8. New Hampshire
  9. Iowa
  10. Pennsylvania
  11. Vermont
  12. Virginia
  13. Wyoming
  14. Florida
  15. North Dakota
  16. Colorado
  17. South Dakota
  18. Illinois
  19. Maine
  20. Nebraska
  21. Montana
  22. Connecticut
  23. Maryland
  24. Kansas
  25. Michigan
  26. Ohio
  27. California
  28. North Carolina
  29. Indiana
  30. Washington
  31. Missouri
  32. Delaware
  33. Texas
  34. Tennessee
  35. Georgia
  36. Rhode Island
  37. Arizona
  38. Oregon
  39. Kentucky
  40. West Virginia
  41. Alabama
  42. Hawaii
  43. Oklahoma
  44. Nevada
  45. Arkansas
  46. South Carolina
  47. Mississippi
  48. Louisiana
  49. Alaska
  50. New Mexico
Fully agree. Down the shore everything is all right!!!

L O L. NJ is a shithole.

Reactions: RUaMoose
This is one weird list. The problem with a list like this is that no one lives in the entire state. You live in one residence in one neighborhood in one city. Unless you are super rich. I live in California and am blessed enough to own a home in a nice part of a great small city. The idea that Idaho or Iowa or Ohio (lol) would be a better place to live than California is ridiculous. Unless you live in Mexicali or Bakersfield.

Colorado should be in the top 5. New Mexico is far from the worst state to live in the USA.
Agreed! I live in a part of California I really enjoy year round! But if I lived in Barstow …..

It's relative. Compared to NY taxes are lower. Compared to CA cost of real estate is lower.

It's a trade off. Delaware income tax could be higher depending on your earning, but property tax is lower. But, are the schools similar caliber. PA has high property taxes in good school districts, and some towns have additional income tax. Working in Philly is another tax too. There is a reason a lot of people who work in Philly choose NJ over DE and PA.

When you're retired and being close to work and schools don't matter, it's a totally different ball game. Then you can live in multiple places. I'd still want to be in NJ part of the year.
There is affordable real estate where people do like to live in CA. SF and LA are tough no doubt but there are lots of other great areas.

Well come on down and experience it personally! Some people love Branson, Mo. personally I hate it. But I do love Eureka Springs, Ark and Devils Den state park in Arkansas.
Arkansas has been moving up my list. Never was on my radar previously, but keep reading travel articles about it the past couple years. Looks like they've built out some great mountain biking ...which goes perfectly with hot springs.

Reactions: Southern Gentleman

Well Philly is a pretty big town lol. Bucks prices in the most sought after places like Yardley and Newtown are competitive with NJ towns with similar cache.

If you're willing to live in Pittsburgh you could find a house for 200k, maybe less. Poconos as well are dirt cheap relative to NJ but property taxes are up there.

There is affordable real estate where people do like to live in CA. SF and LA are tough no doubt but there are lots of other great areas.

What towns/regions? Santa Barbara and San Diego are also expensive, probably still more so than NJ, OC definitely is. I read people are moving inland now, so a place like Palm Springs may be similar to Jersey Shore pricing.

It is a great state. Two weeks ago, I went camping on the banks of the Wading River in the middle of the Pine Barrens. Seemed like the middle of nowhere. We climbed a fire tower and saw pine forest as far as the eye could see. The next weekend, I took my family to the city and stayed near Times Square. There's a lot to do within a short distance. Great schools too.
You made me just check this out - maybe a place to go with the wife and two dogs. They have dog friendly cabins at Winding Pines Campground right on the river.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Lots of towns here in Chester County have an earned income tax. Where I am it is 1%. That tax applies whether you work or live in the town. Luckily I both work and live in the same town.

Sounds like those living in Bucks County, PA like living there better than staying in NJ by the business they work at.
Sounds like Jersey still is a good place for them, if only for the benefits of working in NJ.

Wonder how they would feel about living in NJ if their business moved to Newark and they had a long commute to work from their present home that might force them to move closer to work in a NJ area that's a much shorter commute .
Or would living in Bucks be so good that they would leave their present position and get a job around where they reside now..
Would the pay make that choice for them, or the difference in pay-scale in the Bucks commuting area is competitive enough to have them stay and work there?

In my opinion it sounds like the people living in Bucks have the best of both worlds, low property tax in Bucks, good pay in Jersey .
Every state has something about it that makes its residents think it's the best for them.
A few others might think they're crazy to think their state is the best 🙃

What towns/regions? Santa Barbara and San Diego are also expensive, probably still more so than NJ, OC definitely is. I read people are moving inland now, so a place like Palm Springs may be similar to Jersey Shore pricing.
Granite Bay, Roseville, Santa Rosa, Petaluma, Brentwood all up in NoCal just to start

Lots of towns here in Chester County have an earned income tax. Where I am it is 1%. That tax applies whether you work or live in the town. Luckily I both work and live in the same town.

1% plus the 3.07% state tax rate combined is still below NJ once you get above 35k of income filing singly or 70k filing a joint return. And it's well below NJ if you are single above 75k or joint filer over 150k.

We have posters from a couple of dozen states and foreign countries all writing about how much they like where they live. It takes a truly special type of mindset to continue to live in a place that you hate and gripe about it at every opportunity.
It's so easy to move. What a miserable existence it must be living in a self-defined "sh#t hole".

So sad!

L O L. NJ is a shithole.
Opinions vary.
Down the shore everything is all right. Like @koleszar said- we have farms and beaches very close by. Outstanding state parks and areas for hiking/mountain biking. Boating, fishing, camping within minutes. And if we want the excitement of one of the big cities, within 1-1.5 hours. Life is good in NJ.

Opinions vary.
Down the shore everything is all right. Like @koleszar said- we have farms and beaches very close by. Outstanding state parks and areas for hiking/mountain biking. Boating, fishing, camping within minutes. And if we want the excitement of one of the big cities, within 1-1.5 hours. Life is good in NJ.
I loved living in Lavallete but the lure of sitting on the beach all day getting fried has escaped me since I can remember around 5 years old. Swimming, surfing, fishing yes still love them all but dropping a blanket on the beach and hanging out day doing nothing is not my thing.
All the other things you mention can be done most anywhere.

Not recently, but they're still going, drive by them all the time. They put up a huge outdoor tent in the parking lot to the right to survive. Whenever we have a job in that area my guys always want to go there for lunch. I like their food. One place that really went downhill is The Cabin. They got bought out by some Restaurant Corporation and the food went quickly to sucks.
That's one man's opinion. 😉

I still love their burgers and few other things. That was the go to place for my boys after they scored in hockey or lacrosse.
Allenwood General store is really good. That's right down the road from @Knight Shift. The one thing that really sucks about Howell is it's all chain restaurants and pizzeria's. Everyone here is dying for a dinner to open up. However there is Sorrentino's subs * on Rt. 9 by me that makes a real good pork roll, egg and cheese.
If you can overlook the interior. LOL

* Ever been to Juanito's for Mexican? Delicious. He started in Red Bank many, many years ago by the train station and expanded to Howell a few years ago. A true Amercian success story. My wife, kids and I love it. Although we usually go to the Red Bank one.

Last edited:

I still love their burgers and few other things. That was the go to place for my boys after they scored in hockey or lacrosse.

* Ever been to Juanito's for Mexican? Delicious. He started in Red Bank many, many years ago by the train station and expanded to Howell a few years ago. A true Amercian success story. My wife, kids and I love it. Although we usually go to the Red Bank one.
Yes I've been to Juanito's II. I like that's it's more Americanized and not Authentic. Which basically means that they use more of the expensive items like more meat and cheese. Authentic I've found simply means you're going to get a big plate of rice and beans with a little meat and next to no cheese, that's about it for the authentic experience. However, when they make the home made Guacamole everyone loved it except me. I'm one of those lucky people that cilantro tastes and smells like gasoline. So when I saw the fresh cilantro come out to be mashed up, I knew I couldn't partake.

Now the interior of Allenwood General Store? I love it. I've purchased a few of those rustic items for my farm. So I could be a bit biased since it's food and antique shopping all wrapped in one.😁

Don't be blasting Allenwood General Store!! 😂
It's a gem. One of my faves on earth. A step back in time! Food is great and fairly priced. Nice people too. When you were in SI what was your go to breakfast stop? What neighborhood? I can't remember the name of the bakery in New Dorp but it was awesome.

1% plus the 3.07% state tax rate combined is still below NJ once you get above 35k of income filing singly or 70k filing a joint return. And it's well below NJ if you are single above 75k or joint filer over 150k.
I believe NJ has items to reduce taxable income that Pennsy does not so it might not be accurate to compare tax rates using the same income level.

For example NJ subtracts medical expenses above 2% of your gross income, allows a deduction of up to $15,000 in property taxes or 18% of rent paid

What's wrong with it? It's like eating in my parent's basement or at a rummage sale. You can't match that atmosphere in a restaurant. The Ronbo poster-hope it's still there.

You made me just check this out - maybe a place to go with the wife and two dogs. They have dog friendly cabins at Winding Pines Campground right on the river.

Yep, that's where I was. There's a state campground on the other side of the river too. They'll rent you kayaks as well. For the whole experience, make sure you jump off the bridge.

Yep, that's where I was. There's a state campground on the other side of the river too. They'll rent you kayaks as well. For the whole experience, make sure you jump off the bridge.
Did you stay in a cabin or have a tent? How does the real campground compare to the pictures?

I went to the website to look at the pictures and I would say they are accurate. I will say that most of the people there had either a camper or an RV. If you don't have one of those, you might want to try a cabin although I didn't see the inside of them. I went with a Boy Scout troop, so we were in all in tents in one spot along the river.

Arkansas has been moving up my list. Never was on my radar previously, but keep reading travel articles about it the past couple years. Looks like they've built out some great mountain biking ...which goes perfectly with hot springs.
We just opened a 10 mile difficult mountain biking course part of which is in my neighborhood overlooking the Arkansas River. Hot Springs Arkansas has a lot going on right now and a house on Lake Hamilton is very desirable. If you love golf, you should seriously look into Hot Spring Village. 5 beautiful championship golf courses!

If you are a laid back wannabe hippie who appreciates fine arts and crafts, then Eureka Springs in NorthWest Arkansas should grab your attention. Beautiful Ozark mountain area with very progressive residents. It resembles a Swiss Village with somewhat narrow streets and zero traffic lights. Additionally it is 30 minutes from some Great Lakes , hiking, fishing, mountain biking, etc. NW Arkansas is one of the top mountain biking destinations in America now.

Let me know if/ when you make a trip.
SG

Opinions vary.
Lots of great parts in NJ too. Just like probably every state folks on this board live. There also are a lot of so called "sh--holes" in every state in the nation. Seems like its "find your Corona".

Please don't make the mistake of comparing only the purchase price of a house. You must look at the total cost of ownership. For instance, a one million dollar house in Cali has property taxes slightly in excess of $10,000.00 per year. How much are the taxes on the same house in NJ? Also consider energy costs. Likely much less in most of Cali, too.

Please don't make the mistake of comparing only the purchase price of a house. You must look at the total cost of ownership. For instance, a one million dollar house in Cali has property taxes slightly in excess of $10,000.00 per year. How much are the taxes on the same house in NJ? Also consider energy costs. Likely much less in most of Cali, too.
Right, because of the flex alerts and rolling power outages, lower consumption. What a state!!

ADVERTISEMENT