ADVERTISEMENT

OT- NJ is the Best State to Live In

According to a Wallet Hub. Five equally weighted categories: (1) Pork Roll availability (2) Courteous Drivers (3) Weather (4) Beaches (5) Pizza Quality!!

Actually, based on affordability, economy, education and health, quality of life and safety.

1. New Jersey
  2. Massachusetts
  3. New York
  4. Idaho
  5. Minnesota
  6. Wisconsin
  7. Utah
  8. New Hampshire
  9. Iowa
  10. Pennsylvania
  11. Vermont
  12. Virginia
  13. Wyoming
  14. Florida
  15. North Dakota
  16. Colorado
  17. South Dakota
  18. Illinois
  19. Maine
  20. Nebraska
  21. Montana
  22. Connecticut
  23. Maryland
  24. Kansas
  25. Michigan
  26. Ohio
  27. California
  28. North Carolina
  29. Indiana
  30. Washington
  31. Missouri
  32. Delaware
  33. Texas
  34. Tennessee
  35. Georgia
  36. Rhode Island
  37. Arizona
  38. Oregon
  39. Kentucky
  40. West Virginia
  41. Alabama
  42. Hawaii
  43. Oklahoma
  44. Nevada
  45. Arkansas
  46. South Carolina
  47. Mississippi
  48. Louisiana
  49. Alaska
  50. New Mexico
Fully agree. Down the shore everything is all right!!!
NJ has ALWAYS been NUMERO UNO for beaced.Have missed it for the 33 years that I have been down in FL.My reasons are RU FB. X 5

Have you ever been to Idaho? I live in Ca. Idaho is incredible.

So much of it is individual preferences. A rough comparison to Idaho on the East Coast is New Hampshire. Very low taxes, between proximity to Boston and Mary Hitchcock Medical Center in Hanover high level medical care if you need it, real estate prices low for the Northeast but climbing in the last 12 months. But you better be able to deal with winter. On the other hand, North Carolina around the Research Triangle offers a lot, but you get more summer. Florida if you can handle heat and humidity.

This is one weird list. The problem with a list like this is that no one lives in the entire state. You live in one residence in one neighborhood in one city. Unless you are super rich. I live in California and am blessed enough to own a home in a nice part of a great small city. The idea that Idaho or Iowa or Ohio (lol) would be a better place to live than California is ridiculous. Unless you live in Mexicali or Bakersfield.

Colorado should be in the top 5. New Mexico is far from the worst state to live in the USA.

I love California but my guess is that cost of a home in the Bay Area, LA and burbs, OC and even San Diego is just off the charts and much higher than NJ.

In NJ there are areas that are great places to live where a starter home is still an achievable price. The average price of a home in CA is over 700k and when you take Inland Empire out just imagine how much higher it is.

I like to live in NJ. There's plenty of everything (good food, beaches, good schools, medical care, etc) here. However, please don't tell me that NJ ranks high in affordability. We have the highest property taxes in the nation and an income tax. Once I hang up my law shingle, I'm moving to PA or Delaware.

It's relative. Compared to NY taxes are lower. Compared to CA cost of real estate is lower.

It's a trade off. Delaware income tax could be higher depending on your earning, but property tax is lower. But, are the schools similar caliber. PA has high property taxes in good school districts, and some towns have additional income tax. Working in Philly is another tax too. There is a reason a lot of people who work in Philly choose NJ over DE and PA.

When you're retired and being close to work and schools don't matter, it's a totally different ball game. Then you can live in multiple places. I'd still want to be in NJ part of the year.

Reactions: scripts
My Dad looks at the menu and orders a Radler. The waiter looks at him like he is an absolute wuss basically implying that only women drink Radlers (it was a lemonade-type...probably like a Summer Shandy). Anyway...my Dad gets it and enjoys it, but whenever I see Radler's, I think of the disgusted and disappointed look on that waiters face.
Ha ha, indeed not surprising as it's a stereotypical chick drink over there. I like an occasional radler when it's warm out but if you're anywhere in Bavaria, you can always go with a weissbier/hefeweizen for a refreshing summer option that won't get you a funny look by the local wait staff since it's one of the beer styles that region is known for.

For years people have been telling me there is such an exodus I have been planning to buy a home in Alpine for $50,000

😂😂😂😂

A farmer owned two tracts of adjoining land. The western section had a small Mountain with old growth forrest and beautiful views but the land was not suitable for farming, while the eastern section had flat, fertile land and it was there that he and his wife built their home and raised their son. Eventually the son went off to college and returned with a wife to live in the family home and take over operations of the farm. He introduced new farming methods and increased the farm’s output and profits and his fortune quickly grew. At the same time parents built a new home for themselves on the mountaintop and retired to the western section.

Seeing all of this one amateur analyst observed, “Do you see how lousy it is to live in the eastern section? Two people moved out of there and there is no population growth. It still has only two residents. But the population of the western section is growing! That’s where everyone wants to live.”

Found this at Costco in Edison today.. fingers crossed its a good one.. it is PINK ! with a white head.. umm.. it's very "wet" a little sweet for beer.. there was some other german grapefruit beer I tried before that I liked better... but I could see this being a good thirst-quencher if you like grapefruit... the other one.. Schofferhofer Hefeweizen Grapefruit.. I like better.. i think because it's a hefeweizen and I really crave that stuff in the summer.
gr-vorlage.png

Since you were in the liquor aisles, did you notice if they've gotten the new 1792-sourced Kirkland Bourbons yet?

kirkland-bourbons.jpg.webp

It is a great state. Two weeks ago, I went camping on the banks of the Wading River in the middle of the Pine Barrens. Seemed like the middle of nowhere. We climbed a fire tower and saw pine forest as far as the eye could see. The next weekend, I took my family to the city and stayed near Times Square. There's a lot to do within a short distance. Great schools too.
I thought they fenced off all the fire towers as unsafe?

It's relative. Compared to NY taxes are lower. Compared to CA cost of real estate is lower.

It's a trade off. Delaware income tax could be higher depending on your earning, but property tax is lower. But, are the schools similar caliber. PA has high property taxes in good school districts, and some towns have additional income tax. Working in Philly is another tax too. There is a reason a lot of people who work in Philly choose NJ over DE and PA.

When you're retired and being close to work and schools don't matter, it's a totally different ball game. Then you can live in multiple places. I'd still want to be in NJ part of the year.
Disagree about people who work in PA live in NJ. Bucks County is loaded with people who worked and lived in NJ and have moved to Bucks. Watching the traffic crossing into NJ every morning and returning after work is far greater than the reverse. If you want to say people that work in Philly want to live outside the city but most still live in the other PA Counties.

Disagree about people who work in PA live in NJ. Bucks County is loaded with people who worked and lived in NJ and have moved to Bucks. Watching the traffic crossing into NJ every morning and returning after work is far greater than the reverse. If you want to say people that work in Philly want to live outside the city but most still live in the other PA Counties.

As I recall there is an an old, but still in effect, agreement between NJ and Pa. that Pa. residents working NJ do not pay NJ income tax and that NJ residents working in Pa. do not pay Pa. income tax. Those folks living in Bucks and working in NJ get a real tax break, even taking any local taxes into account.

For fun, look at the NJ tax rate when that agreement was signed and compare it to today. And do the same for Pa.

As I recall there is an an old, but still in effect, agreement between NJ and Pa. that Pa. residents working NJ do not pay NJ income tax and that NJ residents working in Pa. do not pay Pa. income tax. Those folks living in Bucks and working in NJ get a real tax break, even taking any local taxes into account.

For fun, look at the NJ tax rate when that agreement was signed and compare it to today. And do the same for Pa.
People that move into Bucks County are doing for income tax, property tax and much higher rated public schools. The property tax difference is unreal.

I love California but my guess is that cost of a home in the Bay Area, LA and burbs, OC and even San Diego is just off the charts and much higher than NJ.

In NJ there are areas that are great places to live where a starter home is still an achievable price. The average price of a home in CA is over 700k and when you take Inland Empire out just imagine how much higher it is.

This is true.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Funny story....bear with me...

We are in Dachau, Germany maybe 25 years ago for a family trip having spent the morning at the Concentration Camp. There is the town of Dachau not far from the camp where we get lunch.

My Dad looks at the menu and orders a Radler. The waiter looks at him like he is an absolute wuss basically implying that only women drink Radlers (it was a lemonade-type...probably like a Summer Shandy). Anyway...my Dad gets it and enjoys it, but whenever I see Radler's, I think of the disgusted and disappointed look on that waiters face.

Also, to bring an appropriate somber tone to a post involving Dachau, my father was in the military in the late-60s/early-70s and had visited Dachau at that time as well. When we visited in the mid-90s, there were trees/forests all around it, but when he visited 20+ years earlier, he said it was still all open fields around the camp, making escape pretty much impossible.

Anyway...back to NJ as the best place to live.
This story would have been a lot more amusing if you kept the Dachau part out. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Worm
I live and work in NJ, but can practically throw a stone to Bucks County from my yard. And there are A LOT of people I work with (in NJ) who live in Bucks. If I’m being honest, I think harder and harder with each passing year about biting the bullet and moving into Bucks County.

It always depends on the town you live in. The best town in any state is better than the worst in any state. Would you rather live in Ridgewood or Alpine or Colts Neck or Lubbock Texas or Baton Rouge, LA?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
This list is 100% accurate. NJ is the best. Now there is no need for so many people from NJ to move to SC.

I live and work in NJ, but can practically throw a stone to Bucks County from my yard. And there are A LOT of people I work with (in NJ) who live in Bucks. If I’m being honest, I think harder and harder with each passing year about biting the bullet and moving into Bucks County.
I loved living in Bucks especially Washington Crossing. Besides financially its really beautiful there.

Within 20 minutes of my house I can be swimming in the ocean, hiking on a trail, fishing in a lake or mountain biking. Within an hour and a half I can be watching a Broadway Show or catching a concert down in Philly. So yea I'd say where I live is great. Now with owning a farm, I do exactly none of those things but they're there on the rare occasions I can do them.

Within 20 minutes of my house I can be swimming in the ocean, hiking on a trail, fishing in a lake or mountain biking. Within an hour and a half I can be watching a Broadway Show or catching a concert down in Philly. So yea I'd say where I live is great. Now with owning a farm, I do exactly none of those things but they're there on the rare occasions I wish to.
Where are you at? I love the farming areas in both states.

Where are you at? I love the farming areas in both states.
Howell. What's great about my area in Howell is it gives you the illusion of rural but 5 minutes down the road is a Lowe's, Movie theater, Stop N Shop all the creature comfort stores of suburbia. We're on the North Branch Metedeconk watershed so lots of wetlands. Buildings go up all around us but my area is all small farms where building is restricted. The DEP and EPA are our friends.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Howell. What's great about my area in Howell is it gives you the illusion of rural but 5 minutes down the road is a Lowe's, Movie theater, Stop N Shop all the creature comfort stores of suburbia. We're on the North Branch Metedeconk watershed so lots of wetlands. Buildings goes up all around us but my area is all small farms where building is restricted. The DEP and EPA are our friends.
I love that area! I worked at Spring Meadow so I enjoyed Howell golf course what seems like a 1000x. Farmingdale is awesome. Great schools in that area. Enjoyed a weekly lunch with Vic Gerard Sr at Keefers, now Mulligans when I worked there. Big fan of Colts Neck too.

Reactions: koleszar
I love that area! I worked at Spring Meadow so I enjoyed Howell golf course what seems like a 1000x. Farmingdale is awesome. Great schools in that area. Enjoyed a weekly lunch with Vic Gerard Sr at Keefers, now Mulligans when I worked there. Big fan of Colts Neck too.
What is your go to dinner/drinks place? And of course your favorite pork roll, egg and cheese joint? Long time fan of Allenwood General Store for mine.

So how's the pizza in SC? lol

That's actually could be the basis of a cultural exchange. The pizza leaves a lot to be desired, but Charleston has food that would put NJ to shame. A trade of NJ pizza for Charleston shrimp and grits would benefit both states.

Reactions: RuRats27 and RUnTeX
This is kind of a silly argument when you realize that most people like where they live, duh! But What I found intriguing about these rankings is the prejudice toward the snow belt. I don't know about anyone else, but the main reason I moved from NJ to Cali was to get away from the winters. For several years I had found myself making long February trips to warmer places to get away. Twice I flew out of Newark on the last flight before the snow closed the airport for several days. On a business trip to Jacksonville, we could not get a flight back to NJ for 4 days. We had no choice but to fly to Miami and check into the Doral to spend our expense money.

Having lived in NJ for 16 years in my last stint (Morris County) I appreciate the variety of things people have mentioned that you can do in NJ. But I also should point put that Cali also has great choices. The hiking and all outdoor activities are amazing, plus, in most of the most populous parts of the state you can ski in the morning (in shorts) and swim at the beach in the afternoon. Not saying Cali is better, just that you can have a great variety in most places you can live.

RE: Pizza. I live on the Central Coast of Cali in a tourist area ( wine) and I have 6 Italian restaurants within a 10 minute drive. All are run by native Italians and have authentic Italian food. The pizza is thin crust, the way I like it, made from flower from Italy, and delicious.

This is kind of a silly argument when you realize that most people like where they live, duh! But What I found intriguing about these rankings is the prejudice toward the snow belt. I don't know about anyone else, but the main reason I moved from NJ to Cali was to get away from the winters. For several years I had found myself making long February trips to warmer places to get away. Twice I flew out of Newark on the last flight before the snow closed the airport for several days. On a business trip to Jacksonville, we could not get a flight back to NJ for 4 days. We had no choice but to fly to Miami and check into the Doral to spend our expense money.

Having lived in NJ for 16 years in my last stint (Morris County) I appreciate the variety of things people have mentioned that you can do in NJ. But I also should point put that Cali also has great choices. The hiking and all outdoor activities are amazing, plus, in most of the most populous parts of the state you can ski in the morning (in shorts) and swim at the beach in the afternoon. Not saying Cali is better, just that you can have a great variety in most places you can live.

But for other people, like myself, minimizing the days of 90+ degree heat and a dew point over 70 is much more important to dealing with some snow and cold weather.

What is your go to dinner/drinks place? And of course your favorite pork roll, egg and cheese joint? Long time fan of Allenwood General Store for mine.
Allenwood General store is really good. That's right down the road from @Knight Shift. The one thing that really sucks about Howell is it's all chain restaurants and pizzeria's. Everyone here is dying for a dinner to open up. However there is Sorrentino's subs on Rt. 9 by me that makes a real good pork roll, egg and cheese.

Allenwood General store is really good. That's right down the road from @Knight Shift. The one thing that really sucks about Howell is it's all chain restaurants and pizzeria's. Everyone here is dying for a dinner to open up. However there is Sorrentino's subs on Rt. 9 by me that makes a real good pork roll, egg and cheese.
Have you been to Mulligans lately? Did they survive the pandemic?

Have you been to Mulligans lately? Did they survive the pandemic?
Not recently, but they're still going, drive by them all the time. They put up a huge outdoor tent in the parking lot to the right to survive. Whenever we have a job in that area my guys always want to go there for lunch. I like their food. One place that really went downhill is The Cabin. They got bought out by some Restaurant Corporation and the food went quickly to sucks.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not recently, but they're still going, drive by them all the time. They put up a huge outdoor tent in the parking lot to the right to survive. Whenever we have a job in that area my guys always want to go there for lunch. I like their food. One place that really went downhill is The Cabin. They got bought out by some Restaurant Corporation and the food went quickly to sucks.
Have you been to Tom's Tavern, and if yes, how is it?

smokehouse bbq off the Collingwood circle is good and cheap. Not much on atmosphere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT