ADVERTISEMENT

0T: NJ top 42 public high schools, according to some list

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
Not many good football playing schools on this list . Elizabeth and Hunterdon central seem like the best.
JP stevens used to be good . Seems like academics got much better and football got way worse in north Edison

Interesting list

Not many good football playing schools on this list . Elizabeth and Hunterdon central seem like the best.
JP stevens used to be good . Seems like academics got much better and football got way worse in north Edison

Interesting list

Most of these schools are magnets (i.e., essentially private schools that use public money).

Most of these schools are magnets (i.e., essentially private schools that use public money).

The Top 10, yes. But you could put a list of Top 20 traditional public schools with the rest of the list.

Interesting list

Westfield was like 3 years straight undefeated a few years ago and killing opponents, and historically was a monster during the 60s-70s

Interesting list

JP Stevens is 81% Asian which may explain the lack of football success and high academic rating

Reactions: JRZEER
Can someone filter out the "non public" schools?
Glen Ridge is #1 true public it seems?
Yes. Glen Ridge is #1. Disregard “Elizabeth High School”. It’s a magnet that literally changed its name to sound more public and confuse people. LOL!

Reactions: mikebal9
Or have admissions processes and select only certain students. That’s really the big difference.

That is one factor but it is way more than that. Philadelphia has 200k students and 20,000 reported crimes in the schools each year. That includes rape and violent assaults. Most years there are zero expulsions. zero.

Props to Haddonfield for sneaking in at #42 and saving face for the South Jersey schools..

Come to Summit if you want good academics, arts and sports.
lol. I imagine you’re being sarcastic or this board is just ridiculous.
The median home sold price in summit in 2003 was 1.2 million.
Thats like telling some high school football players you should really go play at ohio state or Alabama !

Reactions: BLewis1968
Most of the top football schools are non public. It would be interesting to see where they measure up with schools on this list.

That is one factor but it is way more than that. Philadelphia has 200k students and 20,000 reported crimes in the schools each year. That includes rape and violent assaults. Most years there are zero expulsions. zero.
Good point, you can definitely get kicked out of magnet schools.

lol. I imagine you’re being sarcastic or this board is just ridiculous.
The median home sold price in summit in 2003 was 1.2 million.
Thats like telling some high school football players you should really go play at ohio state or Alabama !
that’s the avg. there are cheaper options.

I'd be curious to see how NJ schools fair on the national level year over year after common core implementation

JP Stevens is 81% Asian which may explain the lack of football success and high academic rating

To me these rankings are such bs. Edison HS and JP Steven’s have the same resources. JP Stevens is in a more upper middle class area with smarter parents.

I'd be curious to see how NJ schools fair on the national level year over year after common core implementation

Ummmm…gonna be the same as always. It’s a more affluent state (top 1 to 3 depending on list) which tends to be highly correlated with solid academic performance (and higher IQs).

Ummmm…gonna be the same as always. It’s a more affluent state (top 1 to 3 depending on list) which tends to be highly correlated with solid academic performance (and higher IQs).
that may be the dumbest thing I've read on here in a long time. You need to learn to read and leave your ignorant bias at home

careful, you may get hit with the 'moron button' if you keep it up

• Haha
Reactions: cshelley
Ridgewood and northern highlands are both pretty good footballs schools and are true public schools.

Reactions: Plum Street
Ridgewood and northern highlands are both pretty good footballs schools and are true public schools.
Northern Highlands is a regional. I don't consider them true public schools. Ridgewood definitely is.

Northern Highlands is a regional. I don't consider them true public schools. Ridgewood definitely is.

It's called regional but only Allendale students and about 50 kids from Saddle River go there. I wouldn't consider that regional.

If all kids from a small number of contiguous towns can attend a school with no application in order to reach critical mass it's a true public school

Westfield was like 3 years straight undefeated a few years ago and killing opponents, and historically was a monster during the 60s-70s
Westfield, these days, loses local athletes to parochials. One, Steve Angeli, is now a QB at University of Notre Dame.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT