ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers University could see its first-ever teaching strike: What to know

The level of relative success around labor action is generally on an upswing. Fewer examples in Higher Ed. Unionized faculty still rather rare. RU is on the far end of the spectrum in terms of percentage of workforce in collective bargaining agreements.

The interesting question is how much pay would the tenure track faculty be willing to put at risk in a strike to support the adjunct group getting an increase?

One unknown is how many of the faculty would actually walk out if a strike were called. That's one reason there's never been a strike: the union doesn't want to take the chance that a significant number of faculty would continue teaching. Some might take the position that the students should not be penalized for the administration's unwillingness to come to an agreement with the faculty.

Supposed to happen Monday
I got a message today that there is going to be a virtual "townhall" Sunday night (what weird timing) to discuss a strike. Going out on strike would be quite a gamble. No one knows how many faculty would actually strike. My guess is the part-timers would, but I don't think there's any way to know about full-time faculty.

With possible Rutgers strike looming, unions plan to continue negotiations over weekend

I think this is all part of the dance of negotiations. Even the union says that the negotiations have been progressing recently. The last contract expired at the end of last June, and the union is (understandably) tired of waiting. Threatening a strike is the only way they can think of to get a deal done. I'd be amazed if there were a strike.

Reactions: Tango Two
I think this is all part of the dance of negotiations. Even the union says that the negotiations have been progressing recently. The last contract expired at the end of last June, and the union is (understandably) tired of waiting. Threatening a strike is the only way they can think of to get a deal done. I'd be amazed if there were a strike.
Perhaps I should add that for decades the University has refused to bargain seriously before the end of the prior contract. The eventual deal almost always includes a retroactive payment, but it's understandable that this frustrates the union. There might be some financial reason why the University does this, but I don't know what it is.

Talks to avoid Rutgers strike continue with mediator; unions plan Sunday meeting for members

I just got a militant e-mail from the union. Their rhetoric is so extreme that maybe they'll see no alternative to having a strike just to save face.

Reactions: Tango Two
I just got a militant e-mail from the union. Their rhetoric is so extreme that maybe they'll see no alternative to having a strike just to save face.
The union has called a strike. There will be picketing in New Brunswick at the following locations:
  • College Ave: 43 College Ave., outside Scott Hall (smaller pickets may be set up in front of Winants, Academic Building, and SCI)
  • Civic Square Building: Mason Gross/Bloustein, 33 Livingston Ave, New Brunswick
  • Cook/Douglass: corner of George and Chapel Dr./Nichol Rd
  • Livingston: Livingston Student Center, 84 Joyce Kilmer Ave, Piscataway
  • Busch: outside Campus Center, 604 Bartholomew Rd, Piscataway, bus stop side
  • Main large rally site: Voorhees Mall
There will be picketing in Newark at the following locations:
  • Plaza in front of Robeson Campus Center, 350 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
  • Plaza outside Law School, between University and Washington
There will be picketing in Camden at the following location:

Outside Campus Center

Will Rutgers coaches show solidarity with Rutgers professors by laying down their clipboards and whistles?

I expect this strike to end soon. Anyway, the reaction of the non-academic staff and the students should be interesting.

Will Rutgers coaches show solidarity with Rutgers professors by laying down their clipboards and whistles?

I expect this strike to end soon. Anyway, the reaction of the non-academic staff and the students should be interesting.
Why would the Rutgers Coaches join in? It’s not like the faculty supports athletics…

Reactions: Rutgers36
Thousands of staff members at Rutgers University went on strike Monday morning, demanding a pay increase and affordable health care.

341779833_620392340012017_2389258513303214890_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT