ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs. El Maresme All-Stars

Boston U is playing the same 4 teams RU is playing on their trip to Spain, only beat that first opponent Madrid All Stars by 1, 80-79

Yup. They took CC Basketball Academy to the woodshed today though (up nearly 30 points when I saw)

I don't think letting up 50+ points in a half to these teams is very encouraging.

44 points in a half. I will take that. There have been some games in the last ten years where we were lucky to reach 44 in a game. I think someone did say the teams we were playing would get better as the tour ended.

Losing games against opponents that should be wins is never a good thing regardless when and where the games are played.The habit of winning is something that Rutgers must emphasize this season and no opponent should be viewed as a sure win.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
EB9PzoXUwAAGFPw

Reactions: Scangg
Some not so promising shooting numbers this game. 3pt % can be excused because of fatigue and we have no idea about shot quality but that FT% is ugly.
Really hope this is not a continued issue going into the season because it will probably end up being the difference if we want some post season play

Always nice to get the win. A hard fought win will be more beneficial in the long run. Pike can point to that first half as a motivating factor. Interesting to see the minutes breakdown. You can tell Young will have a big role this season.

I like the second half offensive explosion and having 5 players scoring in double digits.Carter very impressive on Spain trip.The team has quality depth that should make it easier to average more than 70 points per game .

My biggest takeaways from the Spain trip:

1. Shaq Carter seems much improved
2. Harper is going to break out
3. Young is for real
4. We have more weapons on offense than we have had in a looooooong time
5. We're still going to shoot in the low 30s on 3-pt FGs
6. Our FTs still need A LOT of work. If we were better at FTs, that's something that should have "traveled" with them to Spain. It's still a 15-foot shot, with a 10-foot high basket. But I think we still only shot around 60% on the trip. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTING.

Minutes breakdown:
25:35 - Young
25:29 - Baker
24:30 - Yeboah
24:09 - Carter
23:05 - Mathis
21:17 - Harper
18:31 - Kiss
14:47 - Mulcahy
11:20 - McConnell
11:17 - Johnson

Which brings the total minutes over all four games to:

83:43 - Baker (20.9/g)
81:24 - Young (20.4/g)
81:18 - Yeboah (20.3/g)
78:20 - Harper (19.6/g)
77:41 - Mathis (19.4/g)
74:14 - Carter (18.6/g)
68:37 - McConnell (17.2/g)
68:25 - Johnson (17.1/g)
66:06 - Kiss (16.5/g)
61:50 - Mulcahy (15.5/g)
8:05 - Nathan (2.0/g)
7:35 - Downes (1.9/g)
3:19 - Brooks (0.8/g)

The main thing is that we destroyed them on the boards and I would guess the high 2pt % was from low post dump downs (Carter) and offensive rebounding. We were bigger and stronger than them and it won't be a reflection of B10 play.

Is it fair to say Eugene saw his role diminishing with the rise of Harper & Carter? Totally hypothesizing here, but perhaps he saw the writing on the wall and wanted to get out.

Many +'s. Foul shooting--not so much. As another posted, going to cost us if it doesn't improve.

Is it fair to say Eugene saw his role diminishing with the rise of Harper & Carter? Totally hypothesizing here, but perhaps he saw the writing on the wall and wanted to get out.

Eugene would have probably been our leading scorer on the trip if he was healthy. No rationalizing. It’s a big loss. Hopefully, some good will come out of it and others will step up. It might already be happening.

Reactions: RutgHoops
60 points in the second half !!! I don’t care who we were playing—great to see !!!

My concern is who was assigned to Jordi Juanola? He scored 24 point and the one tape I saw of him was not that impressive. Hopefully he scored the bulk of his 24 points in the first half and someone clamped down on him in the second half.

more likely he wanted to play in the NCAA tournament and/or he didnt mesh with his teammates.

Are we really taking what Shaq Carter did against guys in bathing suits and forming conclusions?

Reactions: Degaz-RU
more likely he wanted to play in the NCAA tournament and/or he didnt mesh with his teammates.

Are we really taking what Shaq Carter did against guys in bathing suits and forming conclusions?
Thesegames support what many of us have thought so far.

No, we aren't relying on Mulcahy to score. Luckily, with the emergence of Young, we won't need Mulcahy to play starter type minutes. He can grow into that role.

In time, he'll develop a reliable shot and will be a threat to score.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT