ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs. El Maresme All-Stars

more likely he wanted to play in the NCAA tournament and/or he didnt mesh with his teammates.

Are we really taking what Shaq Carter did against guys in bathing suits and forming conclusions?
Why not? We're making conclusions on other guys. Harper's pretty good.

If you take a look at the minutes played by player, it's pretty clear that Pike was trying to give everyone plenty of court time on this trip and not looking to lock in any sort of rotation or core group. Given that, most of the rest of the stats aren't going to be that meaningful - they weren't putting up a normal number of shots, in a normal rotational pattern, with more of a normalized group of players on the court at one time. That means points, shots, rebounds, assists, turnovers, etc... all are less meaningful, especially against the level of opponent they saw.

FT% may be somewhat representative, and that didn't look so great. Otherwise? Not really much value in digging too deeply into other stats.

Why not? We're making conclusions on guys. Harper's pretty good.

Not that we should be doing this.....but I'll bite.

We had one close game. Do some detective work. What unit won us the game?

This wasn't the answer, but my uneducated guess/hunch....wild stab of the 5 you could be seeing closing out games the most.........
Baker, Young, Mathis, Yeboah, Johnson

more likely he wanted to play in the NCAA tournament and/or he didnt mesh with his teammates.

Are we really taking what Shaq Carter did against guys in bathing suits and forming conclusions?

------

I have come to believe that you cannot entirely believe a huge improvement in a big man, based on these type of out of country games.

Years ago we have had a big man or two put up impressive pre season numbers out of country , and not be able to follow up with it once it really counted.

That said, Shaq Carter was highly rated coming in and we can hope some of it is for real. But I would not fully expect him to put up lofty numbers.

We can hope it is for real, but just be warned.

Carter has improved. This is what we were told by coaches, and many of us thought after watching him last year he could take a leap once his conditioning got better. Other D1 teams played the teams Rutgers played as well.

Young. We have heard he was athletic and saw that in videos. Also, , it looks like he has a shooters touch.

Harper Jr. Put up some serious numbers. We could all see a breakout year coming.

If you didn't do that well against these players, the chances of those players performing against D1 might be harder. Mulcahy for example. Right now he is a great passer and showed that. It may take some time into the season for his offense to show as he will be a freshman.

Boston U won by a point to a team Rutgers beat by 30. They may not be fantastic teams, but the numbers confirm what a lot of us have heard or thought. They are not completely worthless games that analysis cannot be drawn on.

This wasn't the answer, but my uneducated guess/hunch....wild stab of the 5 you could be seeing closing out games the most.........

Interesting premise - I'll follow down the rabbit hole a bit.

This game was closer and we were behind at half, and Pike didn't put in any of the walk-ons - so he likely relied more heavily on guys he felt were higher performers (or "more trusted", or the "hot hand", or whatever) to make sure we secured the W. Based on the overall minutes played, we saw Young/Baker/Yeboah/Carter all clock 24+ minutes.... and the only other time any player broke 24 minutes on this trip was Baker in the first game (and it didn't look like anyone was likely to hit that mark in the shortened game, though Harper had 18 min through 3Q). Mathis also clocked 23+.

That's about as far as I'm comfortable reading tea leaves.

Last game minutes breakdown:
25:35 - Young
25:29 - Baker
24:30 - Yeboah
24:09 - Carter
23:05 - Mathis
21:17 - Harper
18:31 - Kiss
14:47 - Mulcahy
11:20 - McConnell
11:17 - Johnson

RU Choppin the +/- is all you need to crack the case.

There were 4 constants on the squad that did well both in the 1st half and the 2nd half. Looks like Kiss was on it in the 1st half and Baker in the 2nd half.

Baker Young Mathis Yeboah Carter was the squad in half 2 that won the game....based on the clues

5 Starters with +/-
Yeboah +24
Carter +26
Mathis +28
Kiss +9
Young +26

2nd team
Baker +9
Mulcahy -7
Johnson -9
McConnell -8
Harper -3

Again just 1 game against kenpom 300 competition

1st half lineup that did best
yeboah carter mathis young kiss
2nd half lineup that did best
yeboah carter mathis young baker

Last edited:
Reactions: RUChoppin
Please do not make any conclusion on whether a player can or can not play based on these 4 games.

If you are not scoring against this competition, you are probably dealing with a mild injury, or you might just not be in the primary rotation due to different skill sets. You said yourself how these teams were. If players could not do well against these guys, what is the chance of them doing well in the big ten? The numbers don't mean a ton, but they do hint at who has really pushed through to levels they needed to get through.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
So we are to conclude that Harper who couldnt make a 3 in game 4 against a bad team can't make one against Northwestern?

Make observations if you like...you can't make any conclusions from any of these games (good or bad).

If I were to take game 4 I'd say Caleb can't play D and won't be in the rotation. Myles Johnson was being sent a message from coach and he won't start. Ron Harper Jr has to work on his D and he will be coming off the bench.

The competition is so bad. Do you know if the coaches told or didn't tell players they had to run plays through and not take the 1st available shot if it was good?

Reactions: RUChoppin
If you are not scoring against this competition, you are probably dealing with a mild injury, or you might just not be in the primary rotation due to different skill sets. You said yourself how these teams were. If players could not do well against these guys, what is the chance of them doing well in the big ten? The numbers don't mean a ton, but they do hint at who has really pushed through to levels they needed to get through.

Except these weren't really run like real games, just based on the minutes played. As a clear example, the tenth guy on the bench isn't likely to average 15.5 min/game and the top minute-getter isn't going to average 20.9 min/game.

Pike was experimenting with different lineups and rotations, giving lots of guys the opportunity to play, etc. That's not going to be indicative of how players score once the season starts, or how well they rebound, or whatever. Especially if he was running certain situations to try things out once the game was well in hand (e.g. "I want to see at least four passes before a shot", or "let's work on some post isolations").

There's very little of value to take away from the stats in these four games.

RU Choppin the +/- is all you need to crack the case.

There were 4 constants on the squad that did well both in the 1st half and the 2nd half. Looks like Kiss was on it in the 1st half and Baker in the 2nd half.

Baker Young Mathis Yeboah Carter was the squad in half 2 that won the game....based on the clues
Pike has said that +/- is a meaningless stat to him.

One could say that free throw shooting has to improve.
So we are to conclude that Harper who couldnt make a 3 in game 4 against a bad team can't make one against Northwestern?

Make observations if you like...you can't make any conclusions from any of these games (good or bad).

If I were to take game 4 I'd say Caleb can't play D and won't be in the rotation. Myles Johnson was being sent a message from coach and he won't start. Ron Harper Jr has to work on his D and he will be coming off the bench.

The competition is so bad. Do you know if the coaches told or didn't tell players they had to run plays through and not take the 1st available shot if it was good?

I thought you said you weren't making conclusions based on any games?

From these games you could figure that free throw shooting needs to improve for certain players. The games played lined up with what we have been told, or what many have said. They may not be trusted conclusions, but correlations were there.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
The guys were out jet-skiing like 4 hours before the third game. Suffice to say it was not all-business in the game prep department on this trip.

The 5 you'll see closing the games out the most won't include Harper.... Right

#BadTakeFIG

Where did I make a conclusion.

Do not take a small sample of free throws and say we need to work on it. I really don't want to say bad things, so i will leave it that.

Do not take a small sample of free throws and say we need to work on it.

Well, we can take all of last season and say we need to work on it, too (341st nationally, 13th conference). We also lost our third best FT shooter (who also took the most FTs on the team). The FT numbers in Spain were fairly in line with expectation.

The 5 you'll see closing the games out the most won't include Harper.... Right

#BadTakeFIG

Not sure what your problem is.

The one given on the roster is Geo Baker. Outside of him people are making hunches as to the roles players will have. None of us have seen enough to make conclusions on who will play where and how much.

I am a big fan of Ron. i like his versatility and he is easy to root for. However I think people are way too premature with his praise as a future star. I am not going to pick on the negative or unproven part of his game. If Yeboah is as good as some are advertising and Young is good as people are advertising it wouldnt be inconceivable that Harper plays 20ish MPG and isn't a lock for final 5 minutes on most nights.

Last year you can split the season in to different phases.

Beginning of year were freshman played smaller roles
Middle of the year when Kiss and issa were phased out for frosh
Eugene gets hurt
Eugene is back
Eugene plays but is hobbled

There just wasnt enough games for me to be convinced that many of our players were b1G caliber and conversely werent B1G caliber. I just need to see more.

From the handful of clips I saw, I think the reason Shaq did so well is because these teams had no post presence whatsoever. Shaq and Myles looked like they were about a foot taller than anyone else on the court.

Reactions: kcg88
Well, we can take all of last season and say we need to work on it, too (341st nationally, 13th conference). We also lost our third best FT shooter (who also took the most FTs on the team). The FT numbers in Spain were fairly in line with expectation.

Let's take small sample size last year with the 1st 2 games with 3 point shooting!

To your point...the sample size to use is last year and not 4 games in Spain.

Let's take small sample size last year with the 1st 2 games with 3 point shooting!

To your point...the sample size to use is last year and not 4 games in Spain.

How about this...we look at all of last year 2018-2019 trends and see if they continued in Spain.

Those are things that need to be worked on. Because they are not improving. Specifically Johnson and Mathis ability to hit free throws. They are going to get fouled, but they won't have an impact if they can't hit their shots at the line.

Carter has improved. This is what we were told by coaches, and many of us thought after watching him last year he could take a leap once his conditioning got better. Other D1 teams played the teams Rutgers played as well.

Young. We have heard he was athletic and saw that in videos. Also, , it looks like he has a shooters touch.

Harper Jr. Put up some serious numbers. We could all see a breakout year coming.

If you didn't do that well against these players, the chances of those players performing against D1 might be harder. Mulcahy for example. Right now he is a great passer and showed that. It may take some time into the season for his offense to show as he will be a freshman.

Boston U won by a point to a team Rutgers beat by 30. They may not be fantastic teams, but the numbers confirm what a lot of us have heard or thought. They are not completely worthless games that analysis cannot be drawn on.

I thought Carter deserved more time last year but his defense was pretty bad. A lot of his potential minutes went to Doorson, who people believe was a better defender. I thought Doorson was equally as bad defensively but his ability to take up space an block an an occasional shot, covered up a lot (watch him spinning around repeatedly trying to find his man on pick-and-rolls in the Fordham game). The key to Carter will be his ability to stay out of foul trouble. He's out of position a lot.

Reactions: higgins3 and kcg88
Great video posted by Tango.

Young has some serious speed coming down the court in that video. Also, Kiss with the pull up three was a new look for him that I didn't expect.

Competition isn't elite, but still fun to watch the Rutgers players play and show some different facets of their games.

Great video posted by Tango.

Young has some serious speed coming down the court in that video. Also, Kiss with the pull up three was a new look for him that I didn't expect.

Competition isn't elite, but still fun to watch the Rutgers players play and show some different facets of their games.

Another:

Not sure what your problem is.

The one given on the roster is Geo Baker. Outside of him people are making hunches as to the roles players will have. None of us have seen enough to make conclusions on who will play where and how much.

I am a big fan of Ron. i like his versatility and he is easy to root for. However I think people are way too premature with his praise as a future star. I am not going to pick on the negative or unproven part of his game. If Yeboah is as good as some are advertising and Young is good as people are advertising it wouldnt be inconceivable that Harper plays 20ish MPG and isn't a lock for final 5 minutes on most nights.

Last year you can split the season in to different phases.

Beginning of year were freshman played smaller roles
Middle of the year when Kiss and issa were phased out for frosh
Eugene gets hurt
Eugene is back
Eugene plays but is hobbled

There just wasnt enough games for me to be convinced that many of our players were b1G caliber and conversely werent B1G caliber. I just need to see more.
Harper is most definitely going to be on the floor in crunch time. Book it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT