ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers vs Fairfield Exhibition Game Thread

Also was a lack of open looks for Cam. We didn’t play Paul and Simpson that much with Cam but it seemed like he was open more with the extra ball handler in to help Paul. I see Cam being most effective with 2 other guards and expect him to benefit in that sense when Caleb returns. We’re not going to have great perimeter ball rotation with Mag, Hyatt and Cliff all playing together.
I don’t think we see much of a Paul Simpson Cam lineup. That means Caleb and or Mag are both on the bench

Not Paul, Simpson, Cam. I think Cam will play mostly when Caleb is there to help Paul with the ball handling and hopefully Cam will be able to get open more.

Overhelping has been an issue for a while. It's annoying when the help really isn't necessary at all. Paul gets caught doing this too often
What bothers me more is when we don’t adjust. Notre Dame completely took advantage of our players chasing the ball along the perimeter and back cut over and over. It was a little embarrassing to be brutally honest.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Regarding defensive philosophy……….

given what Pike has done with the talent here on the defensive end I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. Execution is one thing, but philosophy is something else.

For sure. I was just saying I think Cam will get more outside looks when there’s another ball handler playing with Paul (outside of him).
Really we need more drive and kicks if we want Cam getting more open looks

Cam is a very strong ball handler and passer though. Pike may want Cam handling the ball more than people might think and not only standing in the corner or wing spacing the floor

Regarding defensive philosophy……….

given what Pike has done with the talent here on the defensive end I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. Execution is one thing, but philosophy is something else.

Did you see anything that concerning regarding either (execution or philosophy)? We know Hyatt doesn’t defend well in the perimeter. It was nothing new. Caleb was DNP, and Dean was played sparingly (working his way back from injury). So with Hyatt hitting shots he was obviously going to play a lot which meant Fairfield would get more open looks from the outside.

Really we need more drive and kicks if we want Cam getting more open looks

Cam is a very strong ball handler and passer though. Pike may want Cam handling the ball more than people might think and not only standing in the corner or wing spacing the floor

Cam’s ball handling seemed fine, but he’s not going to create outside shots for himself. Hyatt and Mag are not the kind of players who are going to distribute the ball to Cam. They are both athletic guys who can put up points. Mag is also a good defender. They both have trouble with ball protection.

Cam’s ball handling seemed fine, but he’s not going to create outside shots for himself. Hyatt and Mag are not the kind of players who are going to distribute the ball to Cam. They are both athletic guys who can put up points. Mag is also a good defender. They both have trouble with ball protection.
His outside shots need to come off double teams of Cliff and help on the high ball screen Paul n Cliff. We didn't see much of that in the exhibition but we will see a ton of it this season... or we need drive and kicks. These are situations the defense can get caught rotating and free up space.

Just having another ball handler on the floor isn't going to free Cam up for open 3's either. They need to be created. It would be nice to see if Caleb can be a facilitator this year and drive and kick. It can't all be on Paul all the time.

Mag Cliff Hyatt and Simpson are the ones who seem to be able to create to get their own shots off best.

Who can drive to dish besides Paul? That's a bit of a question for this roster. Simpson has the speed to. Miller maybe but he likely doesn't play much. Cam showed he can drive and dish but too bad he can't pass to himself open for a 3 🤣

Did you see anything that concerning regarding either (execution or philosophy)? We know Hyatt doesn’t defend well in the perimeter. It was nothing new. Caleb was DNP, and Dean was played sparingly (working his way back from injury). So with Hyatt hitting shots he was obviously going to play a lot which meant Fairfield would get more open looks from the outside.
I saw nothing bad yesterday. I didn’t see anything good though. I actually didn’t see anything.

I got as much intelligence not watching the scrimmage as those who did. It was a scrimmage. It was a 1 game sample size. We need always to view things in baskets of games for the new guys.

I saw nothing bad yesterday. I didn’t see anything good though. I actually didn’t see anything.

I got as much intelligence not watching the scrimmage as those who did. It was a scrimmage. It was a 1 game sample size. We need always to view things in baskets of games for the new guys.
This is a bad take. You obviously can see things, especially with players making their debuts

Physical characteristics don't change.

Simpson isn't going to be less quick and athletic all of a sudden against Central Connecticut. Woolfolk isn't going to turn into a slow lumbering big man with bad hands in a real game

An exhibition game is not exactly a scrimmage. There’s a real score that doesn’t reset each quarter. And the final is announced in articles publicly. The only thing different from a real game is that it doesn’t count for the metrics.

It’s true it was a one game sample size. Expectations should be tempered in this regard. That said - your biggest pre-season concern has been offense, so right now all you have to go on is one 78 point performance which was more offensive production from us than we put up in all but two 2021 games (UMass and Maine). You could lump in 2021 games from the prior team too by the way - in all of 2021 Jan-Mar and then with a different team Nov-Dec, only two games with 78 or more RU points scored.

Reactions: Scangg
This is a bad take. You obviously can see things, especially with players making their debuts

Physical characteristics don't change.

Simpson isn't going to be less quick and athletic all of a sudden against Central Connecticut. Woolfolk isn't going to turn into a slow lumbering big man with bad hands in a real game
it's an accurate take I didn't see anything because i was on a bike ride with my wife.

It’s true it was a one game sample size. Expectations should be tempered in this regard. That said - your biggest pre-season concern has been offense, so right now all you have to go on is one 78 point performance which was more offensive production from us than we put up in all but two 2021 games (UMass and Maine). You could lump in 2021 games from the prior team too by the way - in all of 2021 Jan-Mar and then with a different team Nov-Dec, only two games with 78 or more RU points scored.
Offense is my biggest concern, but I am always concerned about defense.

I was told Fairfield played mostly/all man so the ball movement that I hear about and see from the assist total is "legitimate". Box score positives are Simpson minutes and Mag scoring. Simpson getting time tells me Pike thinks he is ready, while others getting token minutes tells me the opposite. Certainly doesnt mean things wont change overtime

It's the rest of your post I'm referring to
If anything we treated it as a game and Fairfield treated it as a scrimmage if you look at the allocation of minutes as a guide. We played our starters all 30+ minutes. No one played 30 for Fairfield.

If anything we treated it as a game and Fairfield treated it as a scrimmage if you look at the allocation of minutes as a guide. We played our starters all 30+ minutes. No one played 30 for Fairfield.
Who cares? I'm talking about actually watching players play a game and evaluating their skill level and physical traits. You can most certainly get that from watching an exhibition game. Saying you can't learn anything is way off base

You clearly didn’t watch the game. Fairfield had multiple starters pick up 2 fouls pretty early in the first half and one starter (not one of the 2 in foul trouble) ended up playing only 13 min because he didn’t contribute. Also - we were (Caleb) down a starter in the game to begin with and 2 guys that were core bench rotation guys for us last year who are also working their way back from injury (Miller and Dean) barely played. With Caleb, the minute allocation would dictate a core rotation of 7 not including Dean and Miller or the two frosh bigs. Oskar not playing at all suggests all the new guys already passed him.

It was one game, and it was against a mid-major. The offense may not look as good in future games, but it’s not true that Fairfield treated the game like a scrimmage subbing kids in and out at will.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyC80 and Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT