ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Hofstra 11/7/2022 11am game thread BIG+

Won't knock the win, starting the season on the winning side can't be knocked moments after the game.
so I'll just say I'm Happy

Brown was out but on bench, hopefully she can play soon as she should help with rebounding issues (while we out-rebounded Hofstra, gave up 19 offensive boards).

Nice to see fairly balanced scoring and shot distribution. I think both freshmen show a ton of potential.

Reactions: RUcrazee
We got our starting point of reference for where this team is. Did some good things today,......Most notably, played loose and seemed to have fun.

Also, the team puts up shots, -no excessive # of shot clock violations or turnovers w/o getting a shot.

Thirdly, they responded well to the pressure of a tight game down the stretch - Erica hitting her foul shots, team not fouling on defense on final possesion.
Need to get Streeter open looks. She had 1 from three and it was all net.
Have to work on Chyna looking for the kick out when she's down in the traffic trying to score. Also, those who drive into the paint need to remember that she is likely going to be open when the defenders pinch on them. They missed her more than a few times when she was W-I-D-E open.

I also like Smikle. Arms are So long and has a scorers mentality. Just needs to learn to not rush it at times.

Could not tell much about Bates because of foul trouble. But, she is tall and long as well.

Reactions: RUcrazee
Bates was forced into a backup post role because Brown was out. She is tall, but not necessarily a post defender.

I also like Smikle. Arms are So long and has a scorers mentality. Just needs to learn to not rush it at times.

Could not tell much about Bates because of foul trouble. But, she is tall and long as well.
Yes, Smikle is going to be like S. Lassiter, as far as being towards the top of the steals stat category. Long arms and great anticipation.

Hopefully, Antonia won't have to backup Chyna and Kassondra too often. She needs time to get stronger.

I agree with sammybb, the freshman have high ceilings.

Yea, Bates is much more comfortable on the perimeter. She didn't get a chance to play there last season in HS and is going to really have to hit the weight room to be effective at this level.

Reactions: toby83
Wow. I knew we had only eight scholarship players. I had no idea we had only eight PLAYERS. Can't the coach get walk-ons to fill out the bench? I mean, how do you even practice with just eight?
I think there is at least one walkon, maybe 2. You can tell by who walks over and listens in during timeouts. I definitely saw 1 girl in the huddle who is not one of the 8.

Congrats to Coach and the team! Not the comfortable margin I hoped for, but good to see we pulled it out down the stretch.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Some box score items that jump out at me (I didn't watch the game):

Offensive rebounds for Hoftsra: 19! That's really bad. I know they took a ton of 3s and long shots create long rebounds but we must improve on that.

Rutgers shot 50% or better FG% in every quarter, which is impressive. I doubt Hofstra has a great D but that is still very encouraging.

Rutgers 13-22 FT is not good. Gotta bump that up several makes.

Only three players attempted a 3 for us. I wonder if the other scorers (Carter and Sidibe) will have any range this year. They shot great in the midrange and attacking the rim today.

16 assists to 20 turnovers. Again, another area we will need to improve.

7 blocked shots, that's a strong number.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Yea, Bates is much more comfortable on the perimeter. She didn't get a chance to play there last season in HS and is going to really have to hit the weight room to be effective at this level.
She had one really nice assist early in the game. First foul she gave she was behind one of their bigs and wrapped her arms around the girls waist to keep her from getting pass

Recess Day saved the day in regard to providing energy for the team since many fans were unable to attend with the early start.
I think this is an idea that needs to be implemented on a more regular basis over the course of this season, at least.

Other schools may have participated but likely needed more time to get approvals and all. That end bleacher section is usually empty besides the band anyway. Fill it up with schools or girls basketball teams(HS, MS, Elem). Why not?? It can only help grow the program. Heck, some of them may end up wanting to play in The RAC(JMA) as the facilities continue to be upgraded in the near future and Coachquese and Pike providing exciting styles of play.

I do recall a few HS girls teams attending a few of our games in the past. I just want to see it on a regular. It always elevates the excitement level.

We got our starting point of reference for where this team is. Did some good things today,......Most notably, played loose and seemed to have fun.

Also, the team puts up shots, -no excessive # of shot clock violations or turnovers w/o getting a shot.

Thirdly, they responded well to the pressure of a tight game down the stretch - Erica hitting her foul shots, team not fouling on defense on final possesion.

Have to work on Chyna looking for the kick out when she's down in the traffic trying to score. Also, those who drive into the paint need to remember that she is likely going to be open when the defenders pinch on them. They missed her more than a few times when she was W-I-D-E open.
I came away from this game feeling that, if nothing else, we're gonna see more entertaining ball going forward. Coach W said it best. Have fun.

This is a season to develop the kids that are here without the pressure of expectations.

I think there is at least one walkon, maybe 2. You can tell by who walks over and listens in during timeouts. I definitely saw 1 girl in the huddle who is not one of the 8.
I was wondering if we had walk-ons also, and since I saw none warming up prior to each half, I assumed we didn't.

She had one really nice assist early in the game. First foul she gave she was behind one of their bigs and wrapped her arms around the girls waist to keep her from getting pass
Antonia sees the floor well and is a pretty good passer from what I saw of her in HS. It will be good for her when Kassondra is able to play so Antonia can play at the 3 or 4 spot. Hopefully, she's continued to fine tune her 3-point shot because she has shown pretty good range on it.

All on the roster with the exception of Chyna and not sure about Kassondra, can shoot the three. They just have to get their practice reps.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT