ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Minnesota / Game #2 Thread

41 of their 64 points were scored by their two freshmen. WTH happened to Coffey. I know he had an injury last year but he looks like half the player he was.

I thought we did a great job on Coffey and Murphy tonight. Murphy only scored 9 points and Coffey only scored 8 points. Yes, Kalscheur went off with 6 of 7 behind the arc and scored 21, and Oturu was great with 20 points, but Pike and staff wanted to take away Coffey and Murphy and they did. The chances of Kalscheur going off like that, even as good a shooter he is, was slim. Take away even two of those shots and we win this game going away.

It's just great that our guys had the wherewithal to play tough D down the stretch adn Geo and Calab making clutch shots and FT's. I'm really proud of everyone tonight and I'm over the moon that we just got our 6th win. That's what I predicted before the season started, and I'm thrilled. But I want more--LOL! I want 7, 8 conference wins. Go RU!

Great win. Think that eliminates us from last. Great game by our bigs and role players. Harper had a rough game. Needs to play smarter.

Games at the RAC with the crowd in the game from the opening tip is what makes college basketball so exciting.This was a game of spurts and ultimately foul shooting.Baker took over the game in the last 2 minutes with a big 3 pointer and drives to the basket which included clutch foul shooting.A shout out to McConnell for getting the rebound on the missed foul shot and making 2 foul shots to ice the game.Another nail biter between two evenly marched teams and Rutgers sent then fans home with smiles on their faces.

Those two shot clock violations just before they released the ball were huge.

That air balled FT... oh man we put some entries in the blooper reel in this one and I'm so glad Murphy came through with the most prominent blooper of the game.

The reason we won this game was because pikiell trusted his guys and made the proper substitutions. He played 10 guys all the right amount of minutes and had them in at the right times.

Great job on his part last night.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Great win. Thought that, with a few exceptions, the refs were quite good. It certainly makes a difference for us.

Great win. Thought that, with a few exceptions, the refs were quite good. It certainly makes a difference for us.
On the Doorson foul of Murphy, imagine if the baseline ref had not stepped in and called the foul when the ref right there was letting it go. Murphy would've ties it on his follow-up attempt. We possibly would've lost in OT because a ref did not call a foul against our team.

On the Doorson foul of Murphy, imagine if the baseline ref had not stepped in and called the foul when the ref right there was letting it go. Murphy would've ties it on his follow-up attempt. We possibly would've lost in OT because a ref did not call a foul against our team.

Yeah, about that -- what in god's name was that ref thinking in NOT calling a foul on Doorson?! I mean, Shaq crashed into Murphy while he was in the act of shooting. Thank goodness the other ref called the foul.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Reffing wasn't great throughout, but the refs definitely helped us out in a few spots. Calling the foul on Doorson was big. Not calling three seconds on McConnell before he made his basket to beat the shot clock (he was in the paint for 4 seconds before shooting). Baker stepping out of bounds on the baseline and not being called (I know he was called for one on the other end of the court that I couldn't see, but on our end it looked pretty clear he stepped out later in the game).

I'd have to watch the game on DVR to give a more objective take on the officiating since my angle wasn't great on a lot of the plays. Felt it was sloppy at times and inconsistent, but we got a share of calls in our direction.

The refs were not good for either team but finally RU got a few late calls in their favor compared to most games this year.

Yeah, about that -- what in god's name was that ref thinking in NOT calling a foul on Doorson?! I mean, Shaq crashed into Murphy while he was in the act of shooting. Thank goodness the other ref called the foul.

I'd have to see the replay, but I think someone said that Doorson may have already got his feet back on the ground before Murphy initiated contact - which could have been a no call if he just flung himself forward into a standing defender.

Well.. it would have been a travel, no? Getting staggered by that foul.

I'd have to see the replay, but I think someone said that Doorson may have already got his feet back on the ground before Murphy initiated contact - which could have been a no call if he just flung himself forward into a standing defender.
nope.. that was a legit foul.. murphy delayed shooting to get his toe back over the 3pt line.. then he got fouled hard.. and then took the shot. I think the foul was on the ground.. but he clearly intended to shoot.. when he actually shot he was not fouled.. and he made it. I think it was fairly decided.. if they had called it a non-shooting foul that would have been too much toward Rutgers side.. if they allowed his shot, that would have been to far toward Minny's side.

nope.. that was a legit foul.. murphy delayed shooting to get his toe back over the 3pt line.. then he got fouled hard.. and then took the shot. I think the foul was on the ground.. but he clearly intended to shoot.. when he actually shot he was not fouled.. and he made it. I think it was fairly decided.. if they had called it a non-shooting foul that would have been too much toward Rutgers side.. if they allowed his shot, that would have been to far toward Minny's side.

Okay - I know when I saw it from the stands, it clearly looked like he got Doorson off his feet and then jumped into contact to draw what was a pretty easily called foul. On the very quick replay on the scoreboard, it was clear his two feet were behind the line - but I haven't been able to watch it again to see anything else.

Okay - I know when I saw it from the stands, it clearly looked like he got Doorson off his feet and then jumped into contact to draw what was a pretty easily called foul. On the very quick replay on the scoreboard, it was clear his two feet were behind the line - but I haven't been able to watch it again to see anything else.
oh.. that is what he did... only the contact was real and earned with that pump. I think Murphy screwed up.. he knows his FT shooting ain't great.. and if he just took the shot he would have gotten it off. Dorson was too far away.. had to jump toward him and not UP. He couldn't have blocked it.. bad foul that way.. but given WHO he fouled.. not bad at all. Furthermore.. Murphy was not actually shooting when he got contact.. he waited for contact.. if he wanted the shot to count he should have fired it off during contact.. instead of afterward.

Reactions: RUChoppin
basketball gods repaid us for the Iowa game. I don't think it should have been a foul with Shaq because Murphy jumped forward. That's why the ref that had the best view didn't call it.

Doorson has to be smarter than to put the game in the refs hands like that regardless.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
You'll almost never see that foul not called at any level of basketball. You get in the air or even drifting/gliding as Shaq was and the guy has an open invitation to draw a shooting foul. The only shock was that the one ref didn't call it.

Reactions: RUChoppin

If you look at the play, Murphy totally jumped into Shaq. The official that made no call, had the angle to see that Murphy jumped into Shaq . The official that blew his whistle, was positioned behind Shaq and didn’t have the angle to see verticality.

The no call official had the best angle on the play, and made the right call (no call). The other official should have realized he didn’t have the best angle, and he should have not blown his whistle.

Reactions: Scangg and RUinOhio
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT