ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Women’s Soccer Travels to Michigan State, Hosts Purdue

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Some days RU looks so slow ... MSU looks like they are hustling on senior night and do not look like an 0-6-2 team.

We need to score in regulation. It’s fun that they are winning, but this won’t work come tournament time

Some days RU looks so slow ... MSU looks like they are hustling on senior night and do not look like an 0-6-2 team.

They looked slow to me when I watched the Penn State match. Couldn't believe they were going to OT again last night without scoring against a winless MSU squad. Glad they won but there is reason for concern about how far they can go with such a small margin for error.

Reactions: biazza38
I agree we will not go far in tournament without any offense you just can't rely on your defense to pitch a shutout every game. I agree with looking slow one thing I thought going into this season was we would have more team speed especially in the midfield but I don't see that at all and the offensive skills of any of our players except for Amirah is severely lacking which really shocks me considering these are supposed to be top recruits

For what it's worth, this team appears to have regressed. Agree that they look slow. Further their passing is pretty bad. They rarely make 2 crisp passes in a row no less three. Perhaps all the OT games, most double OT, has a lot to do with it.

Beyond the above, there are, in my view, chronic shortcomings that drive me nuts. I have rarely criticized individual players or our coaches, until most recently, but here goes. Amanda Visco on D has many strengths, among them is not moving the ball out of our end. For 3 years she has, more often than not, launched long balls that rarely connect with anyone on our team & result on the ball coming right back. You telling me that our staff hasn't seen this & can't do something to correct it. Madison Pogarch is aggressive & has played well overall, but takes far too many penalties due to running over girls & being needlessly over aggressive, many times in our D third, resulting in dangerous free kicks. Has anyone spoken to her & gotten her attention on this. Nicole Whitley, while scoring the golden goal last night, takes far too many shots from distance without the benefit of a strong leg. To that end, last night Mike chose to have her take a free kick from just outside the box. Result- another floating shot over the frame. Don't we have anyone with a leg & a degree of accuracy to take these? How about Amirah for instance? And once again our corners are abysmal. Just kicking away scoring opportunities. We can't fix this? Amirah played two nice through balls to Mia Daniels in the attacking third & Mia never looked for or saw them, just kept running toward the goal. This has happened before. Just fundamental soccer. Is anyone coaching her on this? If so, it's not working yet. Don't like to single out a few girls, but these examples come to mind at this time. I have supported this program in many ways for years including the girls mentioned above & all of their teammates, as well as the coaching staff. Really don't like to be critical, but to say that our play is, all to often, very frustrating would be an understatement.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUonBrain
Reactions: biazza38
I agree with you 100% RU Dad and that amazes me because much of this is soccer 101 and these girls are supposed to have played at the highest PDA level which is what amazes me and like you said are these issues on the coach and the staff because if they are not sure how they are going to change.

Absolutely agree with all the concerns, especially the lack of offense. In my mind, with LaPlant's shin issues and her very limited minutes due to how bad they have gotten and how quickly it escalates in games we are missing offense we had early on. I would love to see a formation change to like a 4-3-2-1 with LaPlant up top, especially late in games and OT. This way they could reduce how much she energy expends on defense, to reduce how quickly her shins hurt, to extend her minutes, and focus her limited minutes on the attack, trying to create some offensive chances, literally almost just relaxing until RU is on the attack, like most forwards do. Need to think outside the box. I think we would see more combinations with Amirah, better off the ball movement, and consequently better scoring chances for LaPlant, Ali and other players. Lately, she can only last 5-8 minutes per 1/2, but we cannot afford to not have her offense going down the wire. Just my thoughts.

Killerbees3, Agree re: LaPlant & our limited offense without her. Good ideas on how to use her to maxamize her time & effectiveness. She & Ali both have good soccer sense & skills & each would help the other to score. Hopefully LaPlant can come back healed next year. Emily Harrigan must have been redshirted after a 1st game hamstring. I understand that she can play & is a goal scorer. She, LaPlant & Ali & Nneka in the mix would give us offense

I agree with many of the statements and concerns. RU needs to think outside the box. Early in the season the offense was quite dynamic and looked very promising. LaPlant's shin issue has clearly gotten to the point where her minutes are very limited and it appears to come on very quickly and is appears to be getting worse. I would like to see a potential formation change to a 4-3-2-1 with LaPlant high, especially late in games and OT, take defense out of the equation for her and extend her minutes and impact by having her literally relax until RU is on the attack. I think it would result in more combination play, better off the ball movement and more chances for Ali, LaPlant and others. It may extend her minutes, and if RU can get on the board earlier they then have other options to adjust. Just a thought as RU is clearly having trouble generating any offense.

Love the insights and thoughts from you 2

I wish the coaches wound take your comments to heart, too.

I just think the team should have a dedicated OC. The team is good enough defensively and at goal to where scoring 2-3 goals a game wins over 90% of their games.

The way we play defense 1-2 goals in regulation easily wins us 90% of our games but we haven't been able to do that especially in the Big 10 games

Reactions: koleszar
Looks like Penn State won today as well so our hopes of a share of the regular season conference title is gone. Can still finish solo 2nd if OSU beats Wisconsin (OSU up 2-1 at half).

Getting closer to a B1G title. Tourney time!!!!! Hey, you never know.

Thought we played much better today. Played with energy & purpose. Faster & more precise. Amanda Visco was much better at moving the ball from our end. Others stepped up & cleaned up their games. We finally got a decent corner into the box & Amanda put a head on it & into the back of the net, although the other corners were still nothing to write home about. Gabby Provenzano scored our second goal crashing the box. She played a very strong game. Good to see others besides Amirah scoring. We should host a Big tournament game next weekend. Go RU!

OSU beat Wisky. We finished 2nd. Very good regular season to say the least. On to the Tourney. Go RU!

Looks like we will have 3 possible first round opponents: Nebraska, Michigan or Minnesota. Seeding will depend on the Nebraska/MSU game on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT