ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers women's basketball falls to Fairfield 78-54

Fair-effin-field?!?

Infinite facepalm 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Took a butt whoopin tonight!

The lopsided losses this season just go to show how young our team is. There is lots of potential in the individual parts, but as coach said in the postgame conf., they have to learn to put those pieces together.

Unfortunately, it's gonna take time for our players to continue to learn the nuances of the game. The turnovers are largely the type you see from raw players. Easily rattled and too often losing focus. Signs of youth. Kassondra is the only one that has three or more years of on-court college experience. Can we count Chyna and Erica's time under the prior coaching staff. They didn't really see the floor.

Plenty of silver lining in this loss though.

Although the team has the potential to be dangerous from the arc, and some of our forwards are versatile, guards somewhat nifty handle, they may have a somewhat false sense of how good they are. They all have plenty of work still left to do. This game can serve as a humbling experience that fuels the fire inside each player to want to put in the extra work to improve.

Most importantly, the game provides the perfect study film for our coaches and players to dissect and learn from. Fairfield played like the team we aspire to be. They did exactly what we wanted to do. Played with the identity that we would like to play with. They shot us out of the gym in the first quarter and outhustled us for much of the rest of game to hold that cushion. (Outrebounded us)

They played "fast", as we would like to do. They did it as a cohesive unit though. We still operate too individually and methodically on offense with the ball sticking(leading to the turnovers). If this film can teach our ladies how to play the chess game instead of checkers on offense, this loss may be a blessing in disguise.

The PG play was excellent. #3 looks every bit of All Conf for them(and the frosh more than held her own). Whole team fundamentally sound. High BBall IQ team. It was textbook how connected they were. Three players on the strong side could be in ball-action, all the while, setting up a shot for one of the other two teammates on the other side of the court. That's winning basketball (Auerbach Celtics, '73 Knicks, P. Carril Princeton). Constant ball and player movement, leading to defensive breakdown and an open shot. Our players, too often, look to score on their own when getting the ball. Thought of teammate only comes to mind when they've gone too deep into the congestion.

No shame here for our ladies, because this is a good Fairfield team. Vanderbilt has their talent on the floor this year and barely held Fairfield off last week. They scored 70 pts in that game(24 in the 4th qt).

needs to be some accountability for the $tringer 5 year , $5.5M contract

and why was she paid $875,000 AFTER she disappeared for two years then announced retirement? the school should have been GOING AFTER HER to RECOUP money paid.

her name on the court is an embarrassment

CVS helped make RU WBB a program we expect great things from.
She kept it a winner while other major sports programs were in the dumpster.
Stringer staying on longer than she should and refusing to admit her health problems took her out of the game was the problem that is showing since she took her leave of absence and RU put in a temporary replacement that made things worse.
It's too soon to give up on Guese , in my opinion, but understand why others might have decided her chance has past.
Some of them gave up on RU WBB years ago and have used every opportunity available to bash the program, even in winning years ( which because of poor tourney play gave a good reason)
I wouldn't be surprised to find out there are those posting about RU WBB that really are not RUWBB fans and enjoy putting down it's HC and the program.
When things are going bad you see them posting, when things are going alright, nary a word from them

That said Quese must do better and the team must play good enough to keep the bashers off this board instead of handing them ammunition for an attack.

I think this is one of those games that “took a mind of it’s own” … Fairfield goes an ungodly 8/11 from 3 in the first Q and we’re down by 20 points at the end of the 1st. That is unbelievable I’m not sure even UConn or South Carolina do that to many teams. Our team was just in complete shock. And they are very young, it’s impossible to expect them to recover from that. You’d have to have the mental toughness and experience of 5 seniors to even think about a comeback in that situation.

Tip your hat to Fairfield who pulled off a first quarter not seen in college basketball in a long time, burn the tape, and move on

Reactions: RUcrazee
Tip your hat to Fairfield who pulled off a first quarter not seen in college basketball in a long time, burn the tape, and move on
Good point, with the exception of burning the tape and moving on. Instead, we need to thank Fairfield for giving us study film and an in-person demonstration of the style that we are trying to incorporate. Use this tape all season to teach and remind.

I think this is one of those games that “took a mind of it’s own” … Fairfield goes an ungodly 8/11 from 3 in the first Q and we’re down by 20 points at the end of the 1st. That is unbelievable I’m not sure even UConn or South Carolina do that to many teams. Our team was just in complete shock. And they are very young, it’s impossible to expect them to recover from that. You’d have to have the mental toughness and experience of 5 seniors to even think about a comeback in that situation.

I wouldn't burn the tape. I'd use it to show how a team can beat a zone. After the 1st quarter, Fairfield missed most of their 3's but got a load of easy buckets from players who got open deep inside the zone. Once I got over the disappointment of watching our team struggle, I appreciated how easy Fairfield operated against our zone.

Reactions: Bon1674
CVS helped make RU WBB a program we expect great things from.
She kept it a winner while other major sports programs were in the dumpster.
Stringer staying on longer than she should and refusing to admit her health problems took her out of the game was the problem that is showing since she took her leave of absence and RU put in a temporary replacement that made things worse.
It's too soon to give up on Guese , in my opinion, but understand why others might have decided her chance has past.
Some of them gave up on RU WBB years ago and have used every opportunity available to bash the program, even in winning years ( which because of poor tourney play gave a good reason)
I wouldn't be surprised to find out there are those posting about RU WBB that really are not RUWBB fans and enjoy putting down it's HC and the program.
When things are going bad you see them posting, when things are going alright, nary a word from them

That said Quese must do better and the team must play good enough to keep the bashers off this board instead of handing them ammunition for an attack.

When have they gone alright

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT