ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Women's Soccer vs. No. 14 Georgetown

Yes. Some of those ladies may have looked uninspired but they may not have been happy. Maybe if they had just celebrated with their classmates on the northwestern stomping, there would be a better vibe? IDK. They are proven commodities, however. They could command great Top25 offers.

Right now from freshman to those who played in the final four. It does not appear to be fun, period. The days of “no cookies”, “no ice cream”, “no football games” and “just be happy with your scholarship” are over. UCLA proved that. Recruits know everything about culture. Even at places with older staffs like Penn State and Georgetown, coaches are adapting as we speak. It’s changing fast and RU on field performance over last 10 games along with classes of 2022, 2023 & 2024 reflect that RU may be a bit behind the curve right now.
Agree with all of your points. As a result, it may be time for a coaching change. I wouldn't mind seeing Meg come back from Maryland.

Agree with all of your points. As a result, it may be time for a coaching change. I wouldn't mind seeing Meg come back from Maryland.
Unless they completely tank this year going to be nearly impossible to make a coaching change as his record over his tenure is too good for Hobbs to let him go

Yes. Some of those ladies may have looked uninspired but they may not have been happy. Maybe if they had just celebrated with their classmates on the northwestern stomping, there would be a better vibe? IDK. They are proven commodities, however. They could command great Top25 offers.

Right now from freshman to those who played in the final four. It does not appear to be fun, period. The days of “no cookies”, “no ice cream”, “no football games” and “just be happy with your scholarship” are over. UCLA proved that. Recruits know everything about culture. Even at places with older staffs like Penn State and Georgetown, coaches are adapting as we speak. It’s changing fast and RU on field performance over last 10 games along with classes of 2022, 2023 & 2024 reflect that RU may be a bit behind the curve right now.
Don't know if what you say is true or not, but they certainly lacked intensity. If that was their attitude, I wonder how they liked getting their buts kicked by Georgetown. I'd say they better straighten up & fly right unless the want more of the same results throughout a long season.

Reactions: Scarlettrooper
They certainly are present, you're correct on that. At the end of the day, it starts at the top. They take the path of least resistance to fill each class instead of battling for the top talent in this state. It's been like this for years. But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.
Ironically, one of the best 2024 players in the country happens to be staying at my house right now. I asked her if Rutgers recruited her hard and she said an assistant called her almost every day. So they will pursue non PDA girls that they have no shot of getting hard. Lol

Ironically, one of the best 2024 players in the country happens to be staying at my house right now. I asked her if Rutgers recruited her hard and she said an assistant called her almost every day. So they will pursue non PDA girls that they have no shot of getting hard. Lol
There were only four women from NJ's class of 2024 who can claim to be the "best in the country(IMG Top 200)" but they were all from PDA. None chose RU...UVA, Michigan State, TCU & Princeton.

Don't know if what you say is true or not, but they certainly lacked intensity. If that was their attitude, I wonder how they liked getting their buts kicked by Georgetown. I'd say they better straighten up & fly right unless the want more of the same results throughout a long season.
IDK, "Straiten up and fly right" just sounds like coaching mentality from another era. I'd say the staff needs do a better job nurturing and coaching their proven talent, just keeping them happy so they can get back to their soccer flow, fun & winning ways.

Watching on TV, it was kind of sad that Glenn Crooks was trying to be so political. He wanted to say things like "Why do they look so unprepared for set pieces?" "Why are the RU players not smiling anymore?" "Why are they not cheering each other on?" IDK maybetoo many "yes men" on the staff? How about a proven outside offensive mind who knows culture of youth soccer and young people's thinking? It couldn't hurt.

IDK, "Straiten up and fly right" just sounds like coaching mentality from another era. I'd say the staff needs do a better job nurturing and coaching their proven talent, just keeping them happy so they can get back to their soccer flow, fun & winning ways.

Watching on TV, it was kind of sad that Glenn Crooks was trying to be so political. He wanted to say things like "Why do they look so unprepared for set pieces?" "Why are the RU players not smiling anymore?" "Why are they not cheering each other on?" IDK maybetoo many "yes men" on the staff? How about a proven outside offensive mind who knows culture of youth soccer and young people's thinking? It couldn't hurt.
I don't think this team has been good at set pieces for a while. Offensive or defensive set pieces. I don't know how to find this, but it feels like we only score on about 5% or lesss of our corners.

Sure does. Too a great degree it's on them to get their heads out of their butts or else they can count on a very long unhappy season. That being said we have some serious weaknesses, one of them being no Gabby Provenzano to get in their grills as she surely used to do; it's called leadership. I think Mike needs to shake some things up regarding who plays where. More on that later.

There were only four women from NJ's class of 2024 who can claim to be the "best in the country(IMG Top 200)" but they were all from PDA. None chose RU...UVA, Michigan State, TCU & Princeton.
Who said she’s from NJ? My daughters club team has girls from at least 4 states. Add in girls she’s met at camps…..

I don't think this team has been good at set pieces for a while. Offensive or defensive set pieces. I don't know how to find this, but it feels like we only score on about 5% or lesss of our corners.
I agree you are being nice we can't even kick a proper corner kick and have not been able to for a while now; This year we barely get any corner kicks; in I think it was the NC state game we had a free kick about 30 yards out and we didn't even kick it into the box!! We went backwards and then lost the ball that says it all!!!

Who said she’s from NJ? My daughters club team has girls from at least 4 states. Add in girls she’s met at camps…..
I’m not surprised by this at all. They have no recruitment plan or strategy whatsoever. It’s been like this for the last 6-8 years, maybe more. They don’t prioritize their resources.

Someone mentioned previously about the young ladies who were part of the class but didn’t make it due to national team commitments. That’s great and kudos to Mike for landing them but at the end of the day they aren’t here and as far as I’m concerned they aren’t on the team. So you put your efforts into a tier 1 player full well knowing the risk when you could have landed quality tier 2 players, who would actually be here this season and contributing to the team.

Mike has always been a poor strategical coach. Even when he was with Glen. But he’s been able to get by on it and have positive results now combine that with poor recruiting and you have this year’s team and last year‘s team that essentially folded halfway through the season.

Reactions: biazza38
I’m not surprised by this at all. They have no recruitment plan or strategy whatsoever. It’s been like this for the last 6-8 years, maybe more. They don’t prioritize their resources.

Someone mentioned previously about the young ladies who were part of the class but didn’t make it due to national team commitments. That’s great and kudos to Mike for landing them but at the end of the day they aren’t here and as far as I’m concerned they aren’t on the team. So you put your efforts into a tier 1 player full well knowing the risk when you could have landed quality tier 2 players, who would actually be here this season and contributing to the team.

Mike has always been a poor strategical coach. Even when he was with Glen. But he’s been able to get by on it and have positive results now combine that with poor recruiting and you have this year’s team and last year‘s team that essentially folded halfway through the season.
Wonder how he got by on it & had positive results for so long?

2 questions:

1) did we LOSE the girls who are playing with the national team or are they expected back this week/next week? I know this use to happen a lot towards the end of the season.

2) did someone say that the girls WERE NOT ALLOWED at Sunday's football game or did I misread/misunderstand? Thank you!

Wonder how he got by on it & had positive results for so long?
The old recruiting rules is how. Offer PDA kids in 8th, 9th & 10th grades and they never see another college. And more importantly colleges don't see them much. Once the NCAA rules changed withe class of 2022(wait until you are a junior in HS to even talk to a college coach let alone visit, even later). By junior year the rest of the college coaches in America have seen the top top PDA kids in ECNL events, US Soccer teams. No great kids at PDA got to know their worth before. RU staff knew because they coach PDA.

*Since the rule change, not a single player from PDA ranked in the Top 100 in classes of '22, '23 or '24 has chosen RU. Not one. Now the rule got even wilder with no limits to number of college visits. You can have 10 free trips if you want.

I mean do you really believe that say a Gatorade National Player of the year in NJ from PDA will ever take these visits be wined and dined at say Notre Dame, UNC, Duke, Florida State, Virginia, Clemson, Stanford, UCLA(you can bring your parents along free) or even Penn State for that matter at 17 years old, get free college plus get paid and choose RU? There's no "young Greg Schiano" coaching RU soccer. Despite the RU staff coaching them personally at PDA & establishing relationships. Not one top 100 player in these three classes has chosen RU. And yet from classes of 2020 & 2021(and those before of course(Ali, Murphy etc) almost EVERY recruit was in the Top 100 then and committed to RU before ever really being seen by other or visited those other places.
That's how he got by on it and that how things have changed. The PDA top top talent spigot has been turned off.

No offense to the 11 women of the class of '22, the 12 of '23 or the unranked pda kids coming in '24. Anyone can rise above their club & hs ranking and be great. But its not as likely.

I don’t understand the comments above about girls on national team not being with Rutgers. As far as I know, there were zero Rutgers players at the World Cup. And I don’t believe the U20’s are in camp right now so what gives?

The old recruiting rules is how. Offer PDA kids in 8th, 9th & 10th grades and they never see another college. And more importantly colleges don't see them much. Once the NCAA rules changed withe class of 2022(wait until you are a junior in HS to even talk to a college coach let alone visit, even later). By junior year the rest of the college coaches in America have seen the top top PDA kids in ECNL events, US Soccer teams. No great kids at PDA got to know their worth before. RU staff knew because they coach PDA.

*Since the rule change, not a single player from PDA ranked in the Top 100 in classes of '22, '23 or '24 has chosen RU. Not one. Now the rule got even wilder with no limits to number of college visits. You can have 10 free trips if you want.

I mean do you really believe that say a Gatorade National Player of the year in NJ from PDA will ever take these visits be wined and dined at say Notre Dame, UNC, Duke, Florida State, Virginia, Clemson, Stanford, UCLA(you can bring your parents along free) or even Penn State for that matter at 17 years old, get free college plus get paid and choose RU? There's no "young Greg Schiano" coaching RU soccer. Despite the RU staff coaching them personally at PDA & establishing relationships. Not one top 100 player in these three classes has chosen RU. And yet from classes of 2020 & 2021(and those before of course(Ali, Murphy etc) almost EVERY recruit was in the Top 100 then and committed to RU before ever really being seen by other or visited those other places.
That's how he got by on it and that how things have changed. The PDA top top talent spigot has been turned off.

No offense to the 11 women of the class of '22, the 12 of '23 or the unranked pda kids coming in '24. Anyone can rise above their club & hs ranking and be great. But its not as likely.
Interesting.

I don’t understand the comments above about girls on national team not being with Rutgers. As far as I know, there were zero Rutgers players at the World Cup. And I don’t believe the U20’s are in camp right now so what gives?
In another thread someone made a statement like that. I could be wrong on what their actual commitment is outside of RU so I apologize if I misspoke. I understood it as several girls are not with the program.

My daughter is in the thick of recruiting. She has major interest/offers from SEC, ACC, B1G programs etc including an offer from Georgetown. Rutgers hasn’t once even reached out to her. Not even an email.
I can't imagine why an elite non-PDA player would even consider coming to Rutgers at this point since there has to be the concern that Mike would favor "his" players. This preference might come both from familiarity and, more cynically, from the desire to keep PDA players in the spotlight. I need to stop thinking about this, it just makes me sad.

Good luck to your daughter - do I remember correctly that she is a keeper?

Everyone in the state saw this coming a mile away but our staff. That’s why when he got the extension in the spring they all collectively rolled their eyes that they are going to be stuck with this guy.

Tons of talented young ladies want to play for this program but not with the current regime. I can’t speak to this football game drama if true but it doesn’t surprise me in the least.

Wow, I knew he missed on the best PDA players from the last year, but I didn't know it extended to 2023 and 2024. This is getting even more depressing.

Reactions: Leonard23
Wow, I knew he missed on the best PDA players from the last year, but I didn't know it extended to 2023 and 2024. This is getting even more depressing.
Many here have been saying this for YEARS but there’s a small pocket of posters here who loveee to shout us down. The truth hurts. Then they paint you as disparaging or clueless.

I can't imagine why an elite non-PDA player would even consider coming to Rutgers at this point since there has to be the concern that Mike would favor "his" players. This preference might come both from familiarity and, more cynically, from the desire to keep PDA players in the spotlight. I need to stop thinking about this, it just makes me sad.

Good luck to your daughter - do I remember correctly that she is a keeper?
Yes. This one is a keeper. She’s finally starting to get some interest from US National teams so keeper coach and HC contacts will weigh heavily on her decision

Many here have been saying this for YEARS but there’s a small pocket of posters here who loveee to shout us down. The truth hurts. Then they paint you as disparaging or clueless.
The seven kids in the class of 2023's IMG Top 100 from PDA and coached by Mike himself, some since since 9th grade are now first years at : UNC, Michigan, Clemson, South Carolina, Alabama, Princeton and Georgetown.
One of RU's 11 freshman recruits was ranked in the IMG 100-200. The rest were unranked.

The seven kids in the class of 2023's IMG Top 100 from PDA and coached by Mike himself, some since since 9th grade are now first years at : UNC, Michigan, Clemson, South Carolina, Alabama, Princeton and Georgetown.
One of RU's 11 freshman recruits was ranked in the IMG 100-200. The rest were unranked.
That is piss poor recruiting and no matter what you need talent to win now the problem just like the men is the program is going to have to really sink before any change is made and like the men it's going to take a while to come back and I don't think the men have a good coach either

• Wow
Reactions: UMRU and biazza38
Think there should be a Florida in there as well.
I always look at in state “commits” with a grain of salt. Especially in a class of 11. There is no way he expects more than 4 of those girls to ever contribute. Especially, with RU’s financial aid model. I’d you have good enough grades to get in, your parents income makes RU free or very affordable, and you are ok being a body then come on down….

That is piss poor recruiting and no matter what you need talent to win now the problem just like the men is the program is going to have to really sink before any change is made and like the men it's going to take a while to come back and I don't think the men have a good coach either
Men’s game is all about international players

Yes. This one is a keeper. She’s finally starting to get some interest from US National teams so keeper coach and HC contacts will weigh heavily on her decision
If this is true, and MON has NOT CONTACTED HER, he deserves a long talk to by Pat Hobbs. This is negligent. PERIOD.

Reactions: biazza38
Why do I get the feeling that the women's team is going to sink due to O'Neill's obsolete style of play and mediocre recruiting before being forced to retire in a few years, much like CVS with women's hoops?
Let’s see how things go the rest of this season. He gets a mulligan or two.

Reactions: vkj91
Good thing is soccer is an east fix with the portal. Everybody likes to talk about this or that girl getting a full scholarship but that’s not the case most of the time. They only get 14 scholarships and carry 28-32 girls

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Team morale was very low coming in to Gtown. Just beat by non scholarship school Princeton then the ladies were not allowed to attend the big football game Sunday. Like 15k students attended. 53K overall. Coaches may not be reading the room with this group. At Penn State the women's soccer coach and some players posting at football game vs WVU the NIGHT before a game. This season is a concern of course but it's very early. After last G-town loss 2 years ago, RU went to final four. Of more worry is if morale stays low and record tanks, Kroeger, Lowrey, Fluchel, Brocious, Misal and even Romano could all become top 50 us recruits in the transfer portal. They could all be ACC/SEC Top 25 program types with full scholarship as grad/5th year players. Similar to Vicari coming here.

Only 2 wins(FDU & HOLY CROSS) of the last 10 starts is just brutal for morale and is a poor record IMO.

For the record, the non scholarship thing is complete bullshit. It's nice for Ivy schools to claim that at cocktail parties but the opposite is true. The just classify it as "financial aid".

Think there should be a Florida in there as well.
I always look at in state “commits” with a grain of salt. Especially in a class of 11. There is no way he expects more than 4 of those girls to ever contribute. Especially, with RU’s financial aid model. I’d you have good enough grades to get in, your parents income makes RU free or very affordable, and you are ok being a body then come on down….
Yes the Florida commit switched to South Carolina and leads them with 4 goals as a freshman. Game changer type player that Mike has two chances at. One when she chose Fl then again after decomitting.

For the record, the non scholarship thing is complete bullshit. It's nice for Ivy schools to claim that at cocktail parties but the opposite is true. The just classify it as "financial aid".
Agreed Princeton gives every athlete a full ‘academic’ scholarship

Agreed Princeton gives every athlete a full ‘academic’ scholarship
Not sure about that. My oldest had interest from Brown, Cornell and Columbia. They asked what my net worth was and how much I owed on house vs what it’s worth and then said “you’ll be a full payer.”

Reactions: RUthless
Not full rides but there are plenty of guys playing very little to go there.

Point is they have a lot of scholarships and are playing word games.

Based on the 1st half of this game with Providence tonight, RU could really benefit from having your kid here!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT