ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Women's Soccer vs. Northwestern Sunday

Taking my daughter and some of her FH teammates tomorrow. Are tickets needed for FH ?

ugggghhhhh just like in FH earlier....1-0 lead then NW ties it at 1-1 in the 2nd half.....LET'S GOOOO LADIES!!!

Wish I could have gone down for the game but HS fall league basketball every Sunday afternoon makes it impossible.

Do the RU women's SOCCER team get MSU in the 1st round?

Ladies have picked it up & are playing much better.
We’ve won 4 of the last 5 games, and the better play started when we got some of our veterans back at full strength (Kroeger rounding into form, Fluchel, and especially Kylie Daigle, who has been playing the best soccer of her career the past several games), and when MO benched Gia Vicari in favor of Ashley Baran. It also coincided with Olivia Russomanno taking over at left back for injured Emily Misal — OR is faster/quicker.

The team is still not what it was in 2021, but they’re playing the best soccer over the past few weeks that they’ve played over the past two seasons.

We’ve won 4 of the last 5 games, and the better play started when we got some of our veterans back at full strength (Kroeger rounding into form, Fluchel, and especially Kylie Daigle, who has been playing the best soccer of her career the past several games), and when MO benched Gia Vicari in favor of Ashley Baran. It also coincided with Olivia Russomanno taking over at left back for injured Emily Misal — OR is faster/quicker.

The team is still not what it was in 2021, but they’re playing the best soccer over the past few weeks that they’ve played over the past two seasons.
Degaz, agree with you regarding having a full strength Kroeger & rounding into form Fluchel. And having been very critical of Daigle, also agree that seems to be playing much better. Also agree that Baron has been a big improvement over Vicari, who in my opinion Mike stayed with far too long. However disagree re: Russomanno vs Misal. Olivia, while she has improved some in that she doesn't seem to be trying to dribble through two defenders nearly as much, still makes too many mistakes--the main one being that she is constantly too far forward & pinched in toward the middle & therefore gets beat down the wing with Shelton having to come over & cover, thus throwing the D off. On the other hand Misal IMO is very responsible defensively, makes far better decisions & moves the ball much better.
Another element of our improved play is the play of Liv Bodmer who has continued to grow. She is quick, strong & very aggressive with good instincts. I hesitated to say it earlier being so superstitious about getting ahead of things & not wanting to jinx anything, but I believe that she is much better than Meg McClelland.

Last edited:
Degaz, agree with you regarding having a full strength Kroeger & rounding into form Fluchel. And having been very critical of Daigle, also agree that seems to be playing much better. Also agree that Baron has been a big improvement over Vicari, who in my opinion Mike stayed with far too long. However disagree re: Russomanno vs Misal. Olivia, while she has improved some in that she doesn't seem to be trying to dribble through two defenders nearly as much, still makes too many mistakes--the main one being that she is constantly too far forward & pinched in toward the middle & therefore gets beat down the wing with Shelton having to come over & cover, thus throwing the D off. On the other hand Misal IMO is very responsible defensively, makes far better decisions & moves the ball much better.
Another element of our improved play is the play of Liv Bodmer who has continued to grow. She is quick, strong & very aggressive with good instincts. I hesitated to say it earlier being so superstitious about getting ahead of things & not wanting to jinx anything, but I believe that she is much better than Meg McClelland.
Dad my daughter and I have been saying that for a while now that Bodmer is much better than McClelland!!
I would still like to see Sam in a more offensive position I still think she is a little lost at defensive back and our offense would be much better if she were the left center mid and Becky was the right center mid as we play 4 mids
One more thing is why is Riley taking corner kicks she is terrible on them and she should be in the middle trying to finish; If Kylie is in she should be taking them do you remember she scored off a corner last year

I agree that Russomanno has had a penchant for being caught too far forward and thus was getting beat on the outside. But she cleaned that up yesterday and was frankly lights out as a defender and in her decision making in making outside runs on offense. So is also faster/quicker than Misal, so she can "recover" better.

I'm a Misal fan, but there was something "off" about her this year even before the injury. I agree that, when she is healthy and at her best, she is rock solid as a defender, and also is surprisingly quick and skilled in her runs up the wing. But she wasn't at her best before the injury, and what we're now seeing from Russomanno is at least equal to what Misal was giving us earlier this year, and frankly, maybe a tick better since OR is faster (and now that OR has acclimated to playing outside back).

Dad my daughter and I have been saying that for a while now that Bodmer is much better than McClelland!!
I would still like to see Sam in a more offensive position I still think she is a little lost at defensive back and our offense would be much better if she were the left center mid and Becky was the right center mid as we play 4 mids
One more thing is why is Riley taking corner kicks she is terrible on them and she should be in the middle trying to finish; If Kylie is in she should be taking them do you remember she scored off a corner last year
Don't understand Riley on the corners either. One drawback I think Mike seems to have is that he stays with a decision too long. I would certainly have Sam Or Kiley talking them, although Kaylie & Sam, both left footed, both take them from the right corner. Riley takes them from the left corner. Maybe the reason.
I like Sam on offense also, but I think she has been very good at holding middie & has helped stabilize things, & she also helps on O as with the beautiful ball she played through to Ashley for the score & win.

I agree that Russomanno has had a penchant for being caught too far forward and thus was getting beat on the outside. But she cleaned that up yesterday and was frankly lights out as a defender and in her decision making in making outside runs on offense. So is also faster/quicker than Misal, so she can "recover" better.

I'm a Misal fan, but there was something "off" about her this year even before the injury. I agree that, when she is healthy and at her best, she is rock solid as a defender, and also is surprisingly quick and skilled in her runs up the wing. But she wasn't at her best before the injury, and what we're now seeing from Russomanno is at least equal to what Misal was giving us earlier this year, and frankly, maybe a tick better since OR is faster (and now that OR has acclimated to playing outside back).
Understand your points. However, I saw Russomanno too far up & in & get beat once or twice down the wing. Hope she cleans this up. On our coaches to help break her of this.

Last edited:
They definitely are playing a lot better. Still some crazy disorganization at times on defense and lack of structure on the offense. Riley really needs to pass sooner and more often. She plays the wing like a center striker at times. Liv Bodmer has made huge strides since the beginning of the season - she looks great. And what can you say about Allie Lowrey - she is just a beast out there - the energy is fantastic. I swear, given the choice between going around a wall or through it, she would gladly choose through.

I think they have a chance to take a game or two in the tourney. Should be fun.

Understand your points. However, I saw Russomanno too far up & in & get beat once or twice down the wing. Hope she cleans this up. On our coaches to help break her of this.
Yeah but someone should cover for her we scored the game winning and only goal against OSU when Allison Lynch came all the way up and made a great cross; I should note probably one of the best of the year including from the offensive girls as we never seen to stay wide and cross the ball which can most of the time only result in good things or many times a corner kick

Yeah but someone should cover for her we scored the game winning and only goal against OSU when Allison Lynch came all the way up and made a great cross; I should note probably one of the best of the year including from the offensive girls as we never seen to stay wide and cross the ball which can most of the time only result in good things or many times a corner kick
But Lynch came up the wing & someone covered. Rusomanno also pinches in toward the middle following the action & the wing is wide open. I'm all for our OB picking their spots to move up the wing.

But Lynch came up the wing & someone covered. Rusomanno also pinches in toward the middle following the action & the wing is wide open. I'm all for our OB picking their spots to move up the wing.
One thing is she is better than Gia Romano when they bring her in there is a big dropoff

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT