ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestling to Compete in Garden State Grapple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please explain why you think the team won't be very good. Sammy replaces Seabass, Janzer replaces Bulsak and White replaces MVB.

125 Shawver/Peterson
133 Heilmann/Silva/Raimo
141 Sammy/Olivieri
149 White DeSantis
157 Clark/Kanniard
165 O'Neill/Gayer
174 Turley/Freeman
!84 Soldano/Poz
197 Janzer/Colucci
HWT Boone/Esposito
I’ll explain it, we have a good dual meet team this year but who’s going to step up to replace our points at nationals from last year??? There’s potential but also lots of question marks.

Even last year preseason there were lots of hype bout us possibly having one of our best squads… then Turley inj, Sammy no weight, Poz ???

Nope not looking to pounce. This team has depth and 7 kids returning. Just wondering why you think the team won't be good. The wrestlers will be in their correct weight classes this year.
Lots of short memories here. Every year starts with optimism until the WTF point a few matches into the season. Correct weight classes - maybe or mostly. After being told several times that O'Neill can't make 165, now he's projected at 165. Hope it doesn't become another Sammy debacle. Remember also that we were told Sammy would make and maintain 133. Turley and Janzer are both returning from lots of time off and surgery. I have tempered expectations and fear reinjury.

Is Olivieri RS because he's not the best at 133 or is it to make room for Heilman? Can Soldano not beat Janzer? Casale?

Lots of short memories here. Every year starts with optimism until the WTF point a few matches into the season. Correct weight classes - maybe or mostly. After being told several times that O'Neill can't make 165, now he's projected at 165. Hope it doesn't become another Sammy debacle. Remember also that we were told Sammy would make and maintain 133. Turley and Janzer are both returning from lots of time off and surgery. I have tempered expectations and fear reinjury.

Is Olivieri RS because he's not the best at 133 or is it to make room for Heilman? Can Soldano not beat Janzer? Casale?
Good points on the dropping weight debacles.. I hate to see when wrestlers drop down to when now their main focus is making weight.

Olivieri was supposed to RS last year but got it pulled when Sammy couldn’t make weight anymore…. Heilman had a slightly better seed last year at nationals and made r16.. so it’s probably close between those two but it makes sense to RS Olivieri now..

Soldano will be competing with Poz for 184 and the other one will RS… if your alluding to possibly Soldano going for 197 that doesn’t make much sense as he’s best at 184 and can RS.. Janzer probably best at 184 too but no choice but to go 197, which he qualified at before.. makes sense for Casale to RS this year

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Good points on the dropping weight debacles.. I hate to see when wrestlers drop down to when now their main focus is making weight.

Olivieri was supposed to RS last year but got it pulled when Sammy couldn’t make weight anymore…. Heilman had a slightly better seed last year at nationals and made r16.. so it’s probably close between those two but it makes sense to RS Olivieri now..

Soldano will be competing with Poz for 184 and the other one will RS… if your alluding to possibly Soldano going for 197 that doesn’t make much sense as he’s best at 184 and can RS.. Janzer probably best at 184 too but no choice but to go 197, which he qualified at before.. makes sense for Casale to RS this year
Olivieri will be at 141. He will redshirt behind Sammy
If Sammy didn't hurt his ankle last year he makes weight for the season. The time off hurt Sammy from maintaining his weight. Both Sammy and Olivieri had hard weight cuts. Its part of being a team player, every team has one or two of them.

O'Neill can make 165, he needs to be discipline and trust the process. O'Neill and Clark were light for their weight class last season. Especially Clark who was giving up 4 to 5 pounds every match. People on this forum said he sucked and it was a waste of money. We will see this year when he wrestles at 157. Not saying he will be an AA but his performance will be better.

Soldano will start, Poz will redshirt.

Janzer, Colucci and Epperly will battle for the 197 spot.

Turley rehab went well, he's excited to start the season.

Whoa that’s great info Mike. Soldano to start this year and Poz to redshirt. Turley good after rehabbing.
As for Janzer at 197, based on comments since he last wrestled 197, it’s clear that isn’t his best weight. Seems we have 3 guys that would each qualify at 184. Janzer 3rd of the group so gotta pick another weight class.

Whoa that’s great info Mike. Soldano to start this year and Poz to redshirt. Turley good after rehabbing.
As for Janzer at 197, based on comments since he last wrestled 197, it’s clear that isn’t his best weight. Seems we have 3 guys that would each qualify at 184. Janzer 3rd of the group so gotta pick another weight class.
Correct, I'm not saying Janzer can't compete for a spot at 184 but we don't need 3 guys at that weight. I think Janzer body frame can handle 197 better than the other two.

If Sammy didn't hurt his ankle last year he makes weight for the season. The time off hurt Sammy from maintaining his weight. Both Sammy and Olivieri had hard weight cuts. Its part of being a team player, every team has one or two of them.

O'Neill can make 165, he needs to be discipline and trust the process. O'Neill and Clark were light for their weight class last season. Especially Clark who was giving up 4 to 5 pounds every match. People on this forum said he sucked and it was a waste of money. We will see this year when he wrestles at 157. Not saying he will be an AA but his performance will be better.

Clark didn’t have a good year but given the situation, he often did a great job holding opponents to decisions. I think the gripe with him has he almost never took shots offensively. Hopefully that changes at a new weight. Is he able to beat out Kannaird for the starting spot?

Clark didn’t have a good year but given the situation, he often did a great job holding opponents to decisions. I think the gripe with him has he almost never took shots offensively. Hopefully that changes at a new weight. Is he able to beat out Kannaird for the starting spot?
Clark was fine in that like you said, if he lost matches, it rarely was by bonus points. Hopefully at 157 he will open up more offensively because he's a good defensive wrestler.

Great info. What then for Casale? RS, I assume?

Recently, I listened to an interview of Damion Hahn. It was lengthy but interesting, so held my attention. He first wrestled at 184 and had to suck weight. I remember that. He wanted to go 197 and eventually did, but at his coach's reluctance. He was much stronger and NC'd twice. He said when he was at 184, he would go to practice thinking about losing weight. When he went up to 197, he went to practice only thinking about how to improve.

Redshirting certainly plays a role. However, I'm in favor of wrestling the best at every weight. Is Soldano better than Poz? Is Janzer better than Soldano and Casale? Last year, was MVB better than White? Maybe, but White won the wrestle-off.

Now that's an update!! Thank you Mike.

This used to be a place where you could discuss wrestlers' strengths and shortcomings. That time has passed, I'll leave it at that. If you want to shoot me a message on the conversation feature, I have no problem discussing it there. But here, no way, where if it's not sunshine and roses you become meat for the wolves. I will say this, it's going to take a lot to go right

I think Casale will RS.

Reactions: CollegeFBfan
Remember freshmen can only wrestle 5 varsity matches/paid tournaments if they are thinking about redshirting. They can't wrestle unattached in the first semester. Coaches have to decide what tournaments certain freshmen (Gayer, Freeman & Casale) will go to in the first semester. I think it will be Princeton and Midlands. That leaves them 3 matches for the second semester just in case of injuries.

Remember freshmen can only wrestle 5 varsity matches/paid tournaments if they are thinking about redshirting. They can't wrestle unattached in the first semester. Coaches have to decide what tournaments certain freshmen (Gayer, Freeman & Casale) will go to in the first semester. I think it will be Princeton and Midlands. That leaves them 3 matches for the second semester just in case of injuries.
New rule is kind of weird. Loved being able to see results from RS for a bunch of tournies. Get em mat time.

So still nothing about high school wrestling at this event. Not going to happen?

Doesn't sound like it, as the latest article didn't mention anything, but who knows: https://www.roi-nj.com/2022/09/01/l...r-continue-push-for-more-combat-style-sports/.

Last year, Cordoba and Takedown Sports put on the Garden State Scrap with Spartan Combat at Pru and Takedown hinted at some news coming around 8/5, but nothing dropped so who knows.

Last year the event was over Thanksgiving weekend, NJ High School teams cannot practice during Thanksgiving break. This year teams will be practicing over that weekend, so maybe tuff to get the HS boys....just a thought.

Last year the event was over Thanksgiving weekend, NJ High School teams cannot practice during Thanksgiving break. This year teams will be practicing over that weekend, so maybe tuff to get the HS boys....just a thought.
3rd annual Garden State Scrap is Fri 12/2/22 at Cure before PSU/Rider dual...

Yeah not taking that bait. I say one criticism about a kid and you, Harley and the cheer squad pounce. Nice try though. You're not looking for opposing opinions here, you're looking for everyone to fall in line with your cheer squad.
Let's get the facts straight ..you didn't criticize the kids back then ..you personally attacked them ...when a parent or the kid himself comes on here to confront you and the other clown who repeatedly did it then I would say you weren't giving an opposing opinion ..it was downright shameful ...I called you out on it along with others so don't use that as a reason to got give an opinion on where the prospects of the team are now ...that's laughable ...you complain about everything ...you want better results ..spend some of that money you brag about having ....we can't compete with boosters the top 5 teams have unfortunately so if it bothers you so much to the point you bitch about the team all the time then pony up...you got it ...at least you brag about it ...so either pony up or shut up

Let's get the facts straight ..you didn't criticize the kids back then ..you personally attacked them ...when a parent or the kid himself comes on here to confront you and the other clown who repeatedly did it then I would say you weren't giving an opposing opinion ..it was downright shameful ...I called you out on it along with others so don't use that as a reason to got give an opinion on where the prospects of the team are now ...that's laughable ...you complain about everything ...you want better results ..spend some of that money you brag about having ....we can't compete with boosters the top 5 teams have unfortunately so if it bothers you so much to the point you bitch about the team all the time then pony up...you got it ...at least you brag about it ...so either pony up or shut up
I have no desire to converse with you. Please refrain from replying to my posts and I will do so in kind.

"so either pony up or shut up"
koleszar: Keep posting your thoughts and don't be intimidated by the censors. I haven't. BTW, I don't recall you making any personal attacks. I suspect that's hyperbole or just code for any criticism.
Harley can barely speak English. Don't waste your time with that shitbird.

This used to be a place where you could discuss wrestlers' strengths and shortcomings. That time has passed, I'll leave it at that. If you want to shoot me a message on the conversation feature, I have no problem discussing it there. But here, no way, where if it's not sunshine and roses you become meat for the wolves. I will say this, it's going to take a lot to go right just to make Top 20 at NCAA's.
I got no problem with that when done reasonably. When you disrespectfully disparage a collegiate athlete then double down and continue against someone who is defending that athlete, you have crossed the line in regards to discussing strengths and shortcomings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT