ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestling vs Maryland / Match Thread With Post Videos

ruwres17jpg-1a7a54e5240146ff.jpg

Some other great pictures:

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._wrestling_win_over_m.html#incart_river_index

Last edited:
From the stands it almost looked like M. Van Brill let his opponent up to neutral so he could take him down, but there was not that much time left. Does anyone have insight on the last few seconds of that match?
I was wondering that myself. I would also appreciate any insight.

whats is the progress of 2x nj state champ and world team member ,grello. I understand he s hurt and was hurt last year too. Grello beat ugalde 6-2 to win states a few years ago.
Pagano has got a ton better since hs and had a great year but Rutgers needs its big time recruis to produce.

Any rumors out there about who comes out on top in the room? I assume the 2 will be judged by wrestle offs and production in tourneys . Let the best man win

Prob figured he couldn’t ride him out. Let him up to try to get a takedown to win.

Prob figured he couldn’t ride him out. Let him up to try to get a takedown to win.
Do you think he might have lost track of the time remaining or the score? There was not much time left to make riding him out that difficult. If those two were to wrestle again I would bet heavily on our guy, despite the preseason rankings.

Do you think he might have lost track of the time remaining or the score? There was not much time left to make riding him out that difficult. If those two were to wrestle again I would bet heavily on our guy, despite the preseason rankings.

He did not lose track of time. MVB took him down at the 53 second mark and to tie it up at 9-9, he clearly looked to his corner and he let him up with 34 seconds left to try an get a take down to win it. Unfortunately he shot in on a single at the line and tried to pull him in to get the take down. Right move letting him up as he most likely could not have ridden him out for the final 34 seconds.

IMO M Vanbrill made the right call to cut him I feel he was going to get another TD but the kid did a nice job to tie him up on the edge and waste time.

IMO M Vanbrill made the right call to cut him I feel he was going to get another TD but the kid did a nice job to tie him up on the edge and waste time.

It's another example of poor match management by Goodale and staff. I agree cutting him was the right move, but why wait 19 seconds to do it? He should have cut him immediately after the takedown. It was the correct stategy - just too much time wasted.

It's another example of poor match management by Goodale and staff. I agree cutting him was the right move, but why wait 19 seconds to do it? He should have cut him immediately after the takedown. It was the correct stategy - just too much time wasted.

And once again Matter you are incorrect. Van Brill got the takedown and Deihl was flat on his stomach with Van Brill working his two on one tilt. As soon as Deihl broke the grip and got to his base Van Brill looked to the corner and was told to cut him.

Reactions: 32prosper
Here is one of Matter7172's posts from the PSU site:

matter7172 Well-Known Member

"Rutgers home matches are a challenge for informed college wrestling fans."

Last edited:
And once again Matter you are incorrect. Van Brill got the takedown and Deihl was flat on his stomach with Van Brill working his two on one tilt. As soon as Deihl broke the grip and got to his base Van Brill looked to the corner and was told to cut him.

And I disagree. With that amount of time remaining, you cut immediately. You don't have the time to see if you can tilt the guy. Otherwise you wind up wasting precious time and losing. Which is what happened. It's different if you are down too far and can't play the takedown game and need backpoints to get the lead. But in this circumstance, you let him out immediately.

And I disagree. With that amount of time remaining, you cut immediately. You don't have the time to see if you can tilt the guy. Otherwise you wind up wasting precious time and losing. Which is what happened. It's different if you are down too far and can't play the takedown game and need backpoints to get the lead. But in this circumstance, you let him out immediately.
I know that I am not the knowledgeable one here. But it seems to me that our guy looked stronger at that point. My guess would have been that he had a better chance to successfully ride out 34 seconds and get to overtime then to cut the guy loose with 34 seconds and get a take down.

I was sitting pretty close to the mat, the staff was yelling to Van Brill to cut his opponent a good 20 seconds before he actually did, but because he was on the opposite side of the mat from where our staff was standing, Van Brill could not hear them at first. Finally one of the coaches, left the coaching area to get closer (probably illegal) and got Van brills attention to cut him, but by then there was very little time left.

PS- trivia question, the man standing in the black jacket,w the crew cut, behind the guy sitting in blue, was the replay video official. He is a well known, highly respected wrestling official.
What's his name :

23316395_10213679580119870_4323121398672265585_n.jpg

Last edited:
Any word on Ash from people who went to the match? When will he hear on his sixth year?

Goodale made the call. It's a hindsight type of call but it shows the approach are staff wants to take - Attack to win matches. Be the aggressor. As you get better talent in your room, you can wrestle like that more and more .

Didn't work this time - learning experience

I was sitting pretty close to the mat, the staff was yelling to Van Brill to cut his opponent a good 20 seconds before he actually did, but because he was on the opposite side of the mat from where our staff was standing, Van Brill could not hear them at first. Finally one of the coaches, left the coaching area to get closer (probably illegal) and got Van brills attention to cut him, but by then there was very little time left.

In that case, I have to take it back - not the coaches' fault during the match. It has to be put on the wrestler. I've seen situations where pretty much the whole crowd, in addition to the coaches, is yelling at the wrestler to cut an opponent and the kid doesn't do it. But I have to think this is the kind of thing you go over in practice all the time, so the wrestler should be trained to make the right choice. You shouldn't have to rely upon in-match verbal communication, which is problematic at best.

I know that I am not the knowledgeable one here. But it seems to me that our guy looked stronger at that point. My guess would have been that he had a better chance to successfully ride out 34 seconds and get to overtime then to cut the guy loose with 34 seconds and get a take down.

The problem with that approach is that if the guy gets out with very little time left, you have no chance to get the take down you need to win. It's hard to ride someone for 53 seconds - much harder than to get a takedown in that time. The best chance to win is to give yourself more time to get that takedown. And the longer you ride the opponent, the less time you give yourself if he does get out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT