ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestling vs Michigan / Updates and Results Thread

I was there today:
MCCabe: Zero offense.Youtsey looked visibly stronger then MCCabe.In McCabes defense,he did lose in overtime,but his strength is his weakness

Giraldo: I've been kinda hard on the kid,but he did wrestle tough.The ref really banged him hard.The kid is right there in AA contention,just missing that little extra.He's got 3 more years.He's gonna be a force.

Ashnault: I don't know what too say,but he is not looking like someone who is in NCAA title contention,and I wouldn't even say he has a chance too AA again.He's keep these matched tight with these meatloafs.Better wake up.

Dippery: Gotta get stronger Tyson!! can't say it enough.He did turn Pantaleo and I think he got screwed on the back points.Pantaleo is a fire plug,and just think..Retherford mauled him.Thats how good Penn State is.

Lewis:Richie is so fun too watch.The score was low,but he took it too returning AA,Murphy.He should of gotten some points for stalling.The Reffing sucked today.Kessel is a dinosaur and needs too pack it in.He looked bewildered out there.

Perrotti: Ant wrestled very,very tough today.If he can keep it going like that,he repeats as an AA.

Bakuckas: Nice pin. Wrestled real aggressive and got a big W.His problem is consistency.

Hyrmack: Huntley was physical specimen and just out muscled Hayden.Hayden tried his best,but these two are in two completely different leagues.

Smith:That's the difference btw a 2-2 NCAA caliber wrestler like Smith and potential finalist/champ in Coon.Smith got pushed and tossed like a little biatch

We decided not to shoot or be aggressive again today. 2 shots thru 3 matches.
This is one of the reasons I don't attend wrestling matches.There is too much stalling and not enough attacking of the opponent.I just don't understand the strategy because it clearly won't work against higher caliber opponents.

Be realistic. Michigan wrestled 4 All Americans, 1 Big Ten champion, and numerous national qualifiers. Rutgers is just not at this level. Our first 3 guys were not aggressive, did not score a takedown, and prevented the crowd from getting into the match. An undersized Dippery wrestled hard against the # 7 ranked kid. Lewis was the highlight beating an AA and the # 9 ranked kid. Will help Richie with the seatings for the Big Ten Tournament. Perrotti dominated. Bukuckas pinned their back-up. The pin was not expected. Pafumi wrestled up a weight against last year's Big Ten Champion and the current #4 ranked wrestler. He was aggressive. Just did not have the size, strength, or skill .Hope Gravina's injury is not season ending. Hyrmack and Smith were up against superior competition in two All Americans. Coon is a realistic national champion candidate. They should have not gotten pinned. The first three guys need to step it up or they will disappoint come tournament time. The last two need to wrestle smarter. The Big Ten is a grind and the hardest of all sports. We have come a long way and need to hold our heads high. Other than women's soccer, what other Rutgers sport can consistently be competitive against top 20 teams? Let's keep our spirits high as wrestling will get there.

Stop it. Paper is worthless. In reality, they weren't favored.
I understand your point. I'm as pissed as you but they way the season has been going for those guys I for one thought we should have won those to matches. I mean there is a reason why those guys sent ranked to high. But I get what your saying.

Gotta agree with Leonard on this.
The only reason I am saying different is because I hold results in high standards. And both Yout/Bruno have had down years and have been losing to much less guys then ours. So I just though it we had a shit today need those 2 wins. Didn't mater anyway with the way the last 3 ended.

It's obvious that Ash is hurt. Coaches wanted to sit him this weekend but he insisted on going. Why do you think his backup was warming up during Giraldo match. Bet the house he's sitting out next weekend.

I was there today:
MCCabe: Zero offense.Youtsey looked visibly stronger then MCCabe.In McCabes defense,he did lose in overtime,but his strength is his weakness

Giraldo: I've been kinda hard on the kid,but he did wrestle tough.The ref really banged him hard.The kid is right there in AA contention,just missing that little extra.He's got 3 more years.He's gonna be a force.

Ashnault: I don't know what too say,but he is not looking like someone who is in NCAA title contention,and I wouldn't even say he has a chance too AA again.He's keep these matched tight with these meatloafs.Better wake up.

Dippery: Gotta get stronger Tyson!! can't say it enough.He did turn Pantaleo and I think he got screwed on the back points.Pantaleo is a fire plug,and just think..Retherford mauled him.Thats how good Penn State is.

Lewis:Richie is so fun too watch.The score was low,but he took it too returning AA,Murphy.He should of gotten some points for stalling.The Reffing sucked today.Kessel is a dinosaur and needs too pack it in.He looked bewildered out there.

Perrotti: Ant wrestled very,very tough today.If he can keep it going like that,he repeats as an AA.

Bakuckas: Nice pin. Wrestled real aggressive and got a big W.His problem is consistency.

Hyrmack: Huntley was physical specimen and just out muscled Hayden.Hayden tried his best,but these two are in two completely different leagues.

Smith:That's the difference btw a 2-2 NCAA caliber wrestler like Smith and potential finalist/champ in Coon.Smith got pushed and tossed like a little biatch

Kessel was the back up ref...Why the other guy was in charge is an absolute joke...Kessel at the least is very consistent

Reactions: JBott
Ash had a knee as you saw with that big black wrap. Sadly, even with those pins and major at the end we win that meet if Sean and AG win.

Got to say the "meatloaf" that Ash beat today was a 4X Michigan State Champ with a HS career record of 198 - 2
He also dominated Guilbon at the Scuffle. Agree with Creedo on most everything he said unless AA is injured. The guys have to figure out ways to
Score and make them wrestle. Iowa and Penn State as well as the other great teams deal with this scenario every match. Hopefully DP will work with the guys and help make them open up.

Reactions: RUCreedo
Gravina has a shoulder so why risk it against last year's Big Ten champ. You knew they were winning 197 and 285
I was about to say.. had we won 25 and 33 I think Gravina would have been sent out. 197 and 285 was lost before they even wrestled.

Got to say the "meatloaf" that Ash beat today was a 4X Michigan State Champ with a HS career record of 198 - 2
Doesn't matter,there are plenty of 4 time state champs in college.There plenty of state champs.I actually will retract my criticism of Ash,if he is indeed truly hurt.If that's the case,then they shouldn't have wrestled him. Obrats,the "meatloaf" comment was a generalization of some of the wrestlers AA has kept it close with, in comparison too his ability.I see Jaroslav could't wait too "thumbs you up".He's a real charmer over on themat.com.

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons I don't attend wrestling matches.There is too much stalling and not enough attacking of the opponent.I just don't understand the strategy because it clearly won't work against higher caliber opponents.
Whether you're wrestling or boxing...any kind of fighting....you fight like you train. If the kids are not coached to be aggressive and don't practice the techniques, then they will fail when they try them. I agree that the top programs train their kids that way. That aside, it was stunning to be ahead and then have the last 3 matches end the way they did. Everyone in my section lost oxygen all at once. It was a rude loss. Worth going to...but very rude.

I agree it doesn't matter what u did last year or in HS. It matters how u did against other B1g wrestlers in your weight class. All battling for a top seed at the Big tens. And we let some get away today. The good thing about Ash is he isn't lighting up the score board like Heil- Jordan or McKenna but he is still squeaking out Wins. Hopefully he gets heathy. Also excited to get another home match for the (playoffs). Was banking on a top team coming in here but it doesn't appear that will be. Prob a Edinbiro or someone like that.

On a side note.I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL showed some serious interest in Coon.He has the size,can push guys around that are 265-275 lbs( as we saw today),is an extreme athlete,fast and agile.

They did not want to wrestle AA but he would not sit. Dip was a bit banged up too but he gave it a real effort.

I'll go a step further and say Anthony won't wrestle until the Big 10 Championships and you won't see him in the Duals either. So all you fair weather fans can save your comments for March.

OB - you need to knock it off and stop making sense while backing it up with facts. No room for that here.

I'll go a step further and say Anthony won't wrestle until the Big 10 Championships and you won't see him in the Duals either. So all you fair weather fans can save your comments for March.

OB - you need to knock it off and stop making sense while backing it up with facts. No room for that here.
Did you wrestle for Rutgers? Do know the culture of Rutgers Wrestling? Did you ever even wrestle? I did all the above,and if AA is hurt,then it is on the coaches too override his decision.Being questionable health wise and taking one for the team,is admirable,but it won't be too his or the teams benefit come March.

Is Giraldo banged up or sucking too much weight or does he have a conditioning issue because he looks gassed a lot & has been mostly a counter wrestler not shooting much at all anymore. I thought he deserved to get hit for stalling more. He'll need to be more aggressive & offensive to AA.

As for nationals, depending on draws & if we wrestle aggressively, we have 5 contenders to AA--Ashnault, Perrotti, Lewis, Smith & Giraldo, but many will need a tourney like Perrotti had in 2014 to get it done.

Question, in the 149 match did anyone else think Dippary should have taken top in the third? He just rode Pantaleo out in the second turned him for two and got two stalling calls on him. Trailing 7-3 (I believe) with riding time. He took neutral and ended up losing 14-5. Would it have been wrong to take top and go for a turn? I am interested in the different opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

Question, in the 149 match did anyone else think Dippary should have taken top in the third? He just rode Pantaleo out in the second turned him for two and got two stalling calls on him. Trailing 7-3 (I believe) with riding time. He took neutral and ended up losing 14-5. Would it have been wrong to take top and go for a turn? I am interested in the different opinions on this. Thanks in advance.
Dipp chose top on second if I'm not mistaken after Pantaleo deferred. Pantaleo chose neutral in the 3rd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT