ADVERTISEMENT

S & C coach

Dec 4, 2010
Was just listening to Mike and Mike. Golic had this to say about strength and conditioning coaches. "They are the second most important coach on staff behind the head coach. The strength and conditioning coach is the only coach that is with the players 365 days a year." I never thought of it that way. Not much blame was thrown Jeremy Cole's way. Should we have been more critical of him? Now that he's gone, who do we look to bring in?

I think something is already in the works according to Twitter but it has only been posted on Premium, so it is off limits until an announcement.

Pretty much all my past criticism (3 yr worth) was focused on 2 elements of the Flood era:

S&C
Technique

Those are the things that don't require instinct/talent and should be the baseline for a top tier program.

Was just listening to Mike and Mike. Golic had this to say about strength and conditioning coaches. "They are the second most important coach on staff behind the head coach. The strength and conditioning coach is the only coach that is with the players 365 days a year." I never thought of it that way. Not much blame was thrown Jeremy Cole's way. Should we have been more critical of him? Now that he's gone, who do we look to bring in?

I thought you would post how much the Alabama S & C coach makes at Bama.....

$500,000 per year!

Pretty much all my past criticism (3 yr worth) was focused on 2 elements of the Flood era:

S&C
Technique

Those are the things that don't require instinct/talent and should be the baseline for a top tier program.
I agree lighty. The lack of fundamentals and general field strength was apparent. I don't want to hear how there were records broken in the weight room. If those records do not translate to results on the field it is all for naught. I never saw the line get the 2-3 yard push off the line when needed. That is part technique and part strength.

Proper technique can compensate for lack of strength but strength cannot compensate for bad technique at this level..

Reactions: RUJMM78
Plenty of us were critical of the S&C program. Seemed like there were too many non-game day/summer scrimmage injuries. Something seemed "off" there.

Reactions: valkabit
Hire this dude from OSU
1411934319062_wps_31_Ohio_State_strength_and_c.jpg

Will the S&C coach provide the DBs with Yoga sessions so they can TURN AROUND TO LOOK FOR THE BALL INSTEAD OF GETTING CALLED FOR PASS INTERFERENCE?
They're actually taught to not turn for the ball because if you turn after it's already in the air you can lose your man and he can make a play on the ball.

They're actually taught to not turn for the ball because if you turn after it's already in the air you can lose your man and he can make a play on the ball.
Please tell me this is not true. !!!!! I played DB in HS (many years ago) and I was taught to look back and make a play on the ball. It isn't very hard.

This has nothing to do with S &C, but it has always bugged me about our staff. Technique A is more effective, but harder to teach and execute. Technique B is less effective, but easier to learn and execute. Our staff chose the easy route.

S and C is so critical to football at all levels. When I took over as DC and S and C coach 2 years ago we reduced our soft tissue injuries from 13 to 1. Adding strength, mobility, flexibility, endurance, and power is critical to the development of a football team.

Please tell me this is not true. !!!!! I played DB in HS (many years ago) and I was taught to look back and make a play on the ball. It isn't very hard.
If it isn't that hard please put in an application to be the next RU DB coach. Your HS coach and you must know of technique that no one else knows about and haven't shared it.

Covering a WR or TE is the toughest job in football. Its one thing to be a free safety sitting back and jump a route going forward; its a whole other thing to be running down the field (back to the QB) chasing a WR not knowing where he is going to break and turn for a timing route.

Please put in a application.

S and C is so critical to football at all levels. When I took over as DC and S and C coach 2 years ago we reduced our soft tissue injuries from 13 to 1. Adding strength, mobility, flexibility, endurance, and power is critical to the development of a football team.
Nice results. Where?

Did you press your man at the line?

That's why we had one of worst secondary in P5.

How is the defensive back going to intercept the pass or knock it down without turning around?I understand its a timing issue but turning the head has to be part of the process.

The next time I walk into a weight room will be the 1st time since the Carter Administration so I'm no expert (gee I say that a lot).

It just seems to me whether or not Cole was a good S&C coach isn't the point anymore. From what I understand there are different theories. Butler/Schiano had one, Cole/Flood had another. Ash certainly has his own. I'm guessing his will be B1G/OSU if there is such a thing. He wants his own guy whose style matches his from the start. Correct?

Did you press your man at the line?
I did not press on an outside WR. I lined up about 5 yards off the line. If a quick pass was thrown I would come up to make the tackle. If the WR went deep I was taught to back peddle with him until he was almost even and then turn and run with him. I was taught to look in his ear hole of his helmet. When he looked up for the ball, I turned and looked up for the ball to make a play.

When I didn't look back for the ball and I made contact with the WR a flag was thrown. When I did turn around to make a play on the ball and I made contact with the WR a flag was not thrown. Refs give more leaway if you make a play on the ball and contact is made.

I will also add that I played in the GMC red division against solid talent. I was the least athletic and slowest DB on my team, but I rarely got beat.

The DBs at RU should be athletic enough to run with a WR and turn to make a play.

Didn't we cover this DB turning the head around issue before..?

If you are in a trail position (which likely you are unless you're Deion), you absolutely must play the MAN and NOT the ball unless you have safety help up top.

This is not just a popular question here. This link discusses -- with video examples -- the "problem" at Virginia Tech.

That's why we had one of worst secondary in P5.
''Youth''....it should have been much worse than it was given the circumstances....it would have been much improved next season if only by osmosis.. DL underperformed w/o KH and Turay wasn't himself along with green DB's...we need better LBing too....WTF happened to ST's kick blocking unit..

How is the defensive back going to intercept the pass or knock it down without turning around?I understand its a timing issue but turning the head has to be part of the process.
When the eyes light up and hands go up you punch through the hands.

Kyk is right. There have been a lot of issues with the secondary, but I never understood the angst over whether they turn and locate the ball or not. This isn't the NFL. That technique is very common in college.

Nice results. Where?

I do not publicly state where I coach. I am a DC and a S and C coach for a NJ high school team. I have spent 14 years coaching (mostly at the high school level) but spent one year as a special teams coordinator and RB coach at a D1aa school. NJ/NY/eastern Pa was my recruiting territory. I saw a lot of success there but chose to return to high school football.

My wife wants me to get back into college coaching.

RU205: Did you have safety help up top?
We had a strong safety that played close to the line and covered the inside WR or TE. We have a free safety that sat back in the middle of the field so if any receiver went deep middle he was there but he wouldn't get to deep side line passes.

I would add that I played inside leverage. (Per the VTech article you posted). I didn't want my WR to cross my face. I could break on a slant pass and beat him to the ball. I wanted to force him outside and turn and run with him.

Kyk is right. There have been a lot of issues with the secondary, but I never understood the angst over whether they turn and locate the ball or not. This isn't the NFL. That technique is very common in college.

The issue with DB technique is that when you turn to find the ball you no longer are playing your man.

We teach our DBs to keep hand on hip of the WR. When the WR turn we turn and extend the opposite hand. This allows us to keep contact with the WR and then play the FB.

We teach a pattern read cover 4 system which has been very different than the previous cover 2 system RU runs. RU tends to have its CBs late to vertical routes because there job is to cut off the slant to stop the slant and to help with the run.

If you do not play the ball you will not create turn overs. I would prefer a D that creates takeaways.

RU205: When I played CB -- many years ago, like you -- we played only Cover-2 zone & Cover-2 man. With such limited practice time and everyone playing offense as well, there just wasn't enough time to install anything else.

So I always had help over top. We were actually taught to play the ball because of this.

I will add, our coach was comfortable with us gambling on deep routes because there weren't many QB/WR combos that we thought could complete those passes consistently at the HS level (sounds like you played with much more talented squads...).

The issue with DB technique is that when you turn to find the ball you no longer are playing your man.

We teach our DBs to keep hand on hip of the WR. When the WR turn we turn and extend the opposite hand. This allows us to keep contact with the WR and then play the FB.

We teach a pattern read cover 4 system which has been very different than the previous cover 2 system RU runs. RU tends to have its CBs late to vertical routes because there job is to cut off the slant to stop the slant and to help with the run.
Man, I envy you -- if I coached, I would love going to work every day. The Xs & Os are absolutely fascinating.

Maybe you should take the RU DB job.

If you do not play the ball you will not create turn overs. I would prefer a D that creates takeaways.

And I'd prefer a defense that doesn't give up 400 yards rushing to Maryland - here's hoping we both get what we want in 2016

Man, I envy you -- if I coached, I would love going to work every day. The Xs & Os are absolutely fascinating.

Xs and Os and game planning are my 2nd favorite part of the game. Working with kids is the best for me. That is why I left college and went back to high school. Being able to coach the sport I love is a blessing.

The winter is great because I get to sit down and talk to a million coaches at clinics. I have even given a few talks at clinics and it is such a great time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT